Returning to GW : GW Discussion

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
tault_mateo_hh
June 9th, 2007, 6:27 am 

Cash on hand:

I'm not here to beg for items or anything, I'm here to beg for information

1. Is 400 plat still considered "wealthy enough" to buy most things I'd need

2. Are those Holiday items worth anything (I have candy canes shards, candy cane weapons, etc from the 2005-2006 Winter)

3. Are the 2 new expansion/Campaigns really worth getting? And how are the new classes?

I'm trying to decide if I want to come back or not, I installed and logged on today and had to download 12,000+ files just to get into Ascalon City :0 Thank god for broadband

dlm_bittersweet
June 12th, 2007, 9:12 pm 

Cash on hand: Locked
1. 400k is probably still enough, unless you're looking to completely outfit a guild hall or purchase really rare items, such as Elemental Swords. ( Saw one go for 100k + 75 ectos)

2. Have they ever really been worth anything? but seriously, you could save them until the next holiday even, they might still be usable then.

3. It's really a matter of opinion, but I would say yes. The two new expansions are worth it, and Nightfall offers up the biggest change, with the introduction of "inscriptions" for weapons. The new classes are either really good or really suck, depending on who you ask.

I think you would have fun, or at least be more interested in GW now, especially with the new increased storage offered, so you can keep more stuff around and have less mules.

Wild_Monkey
June 12th, 2007, 11:34 pm 
premium
premium

Cash on hand:

tault_mateo_hh (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I'm not here to beg for items or anything, I'm here to beg for information

1. Is 400 plat still considered "wealthy enough" to buy most things I'd need

"most things" yes you're covered...for multiple sets of 15k armor...mini pets...or rare weapons...you'll probably need more

(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
2. Are those Holiday items worth anything (I have candy canes shards, candy cane weapons, etc from the 2005-2006 Winter)

Candy Cane Shards are really only worth something during the events...they were used for both wintersday holidays held so far so more than likely we'll see them in use again...I'd just hold onto them as you won't get squat for them now.

As for the candy cane weapons...you just gotta find a buyer than wants them...they aren't really useful for in game use...so you need to find a collector.

(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
3. Are the 2 new expansion/Campaigns really worth getting? And how are the new classes?

Factions is good for pvp I hear...with the addition of Alliance Battles...campaign is kind of short (13 missions total I think)

Nightfall added the most of either of the two new campaigns...Heroes (controllable Henchmen, which you can equip with weapons and set skill bars for)...inscriptions (for weapons...it's the +15% damage when health is greater than 50% part of the weapon)...insignias (armor bonuses...instead of getting armor with the bonuses already applied you get insignias which complement runes basically...they add a prefix where a rune would add a suffix to the armor name). The Nightfall campaign is also a longer PvE campaign...I can't remember how many missions but it's considerably longer than factions but still a little short of prophecies. Oh and insignias were recently added across all campaigns...so all armors use the insignia system now (you have to apply your own bonus). Inscriptions have not been expanded beyond nightfall yet though.

As for the new professions:
I'm partial to Ritualist (Factions) and Dervish (Nightfall)....
Rits spawn spirits that can attack or mitigate damage...they cast weapons spells which are sort of like enchantments...and they can do some nice spike healing when it's needed...generally though they aren't a replacement for a monk though.
Dervishes are an interesting class to play...they are melee but their scythe does damage to 3 adjacent opponents who are standing in front of you. The majority of their skills deal with applying enchantments which have special effects when the enchantment ends...and certain spells and attacks can remove enchantments...so there's skill involved in timing when you remove your own enchantments. It's a nice twist to the gameplay which I enjoy.

Paragons (Nightfall) are ranged spear throwers...spears only have one range...spell caster range...and they are primarily a support class...they use a lot of chants and echos which apply to team members. This is the only class I haven't gotten to level 20 in yet (highest I've gotten is 17). I just don't like the support class role.

Assassins (Factions) are high damage but fragile and can die easily if they don't watch how much damage they take. They deal in the shadow arts which allow them to shadow step to and from their opponents....which is basically transporting to/from your oponent when you get within a certain range...that allows them to get in/out of the fight quicker since they don't have to take hits while running to/from a foe. I kind of like them but they are a bit too squishy for my tastes.

If I had to recommend which campaign to get to a new person I would recommend Nightfall...mainly because of the features it added and the PvE campaign.

There will be another big patch after Thursday this week sometime...it's another big skill balance...and it's going to be adding in some PvE-Only skills that are tied to the Nightfall Campaign.

A little down the road (Q3 or Q4 of this year, "holiday" time has been mentioned) they'll be releasing the first expansion, Eye of the North (commonly referred to as GW:EN, hint hint, a surprise awaits)...it's designed primarily for level 20 characters and requires that you have one of the three campaigns that have already been released to play it. There will be no starter area since it is designed as high level content. There will be no new professions. The expansion will also cost less than a regular campaign at release. It will provide ways to take certain achievements over to Guild Wars 2...and will be the only way to take anything to GW2. GW2 is still a couple years away

I think that sums things up.

tault_mateo_hh
June 27th, 2007, 5:08 am 

Cash on hand:

Thanks for some input. I went to a local Gamestop to buy Factions and it was 40$, Nightfall however was only 25$... so I went with my wallet's desire, and got Nightfall for now. I'm liking the Heroes and a few of the new skills. I have no real interest in the new classes yet, I want to try the Assassin, so I'll have to wait till I pick up Factions (prolly after beating Nightfall)

[ 4 posts ]