top right

TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

FOW Chest Running Guide : GW Submissions

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 11 posts ] 
jezza01
January 2nd, 2006, 12:20 am 

Cash on hand: Locked
Well the new thing these days is to run the Fissure of Woe, scanning for chests. Most chests drop golds down here, there is one that I've found that drops purple, but that's not the area this guide takes you to, so for all intents and purpose, you will be getting gold items each run. Since there is no mini map, I won't be able to provide screens, but the descriptions should be easy enough for those familiar with FOW.

First off, this is a runners game, so you want either Warriors or Rangers that are skilled out for running.

For Warriors, that means Charge and Sprint are essential. Also, bring a rez sig or anyone with monk secondary should bring rebirth, for people can and do die.

For Rangers, bring Dodge, Escape and Storm Chaser. Trolls Unguent is advised. Again bring a rez sig, or rebirth if you are monk secondary. Basically you need to be able to run fast constantly to lose agro and escape from groups as quick as possible.

Make sure everyone brought an Obsidian key, as the chests in FOW require that to open.

The way this works is when you start, cluster together and away from the group to the left and right. I've found the left group can often walk close enough to find agro, and run over and kill the ghost (which dumps you out of FOW, and means 1k entry fee was wasted).

The key is to run as a group, and sick as close together as possible, so that enemies don't focus fire on single characters. So start your run by going up through the group on the right, try to stick as close to the wall as possible, but you can't avoid the agro so just run. The wall curves around so follow it, where you will find another small group running towards you. Run past those and you should be in a spot where you can rest for a little and heal up. If everyone does this correctly, you should have lost agro.

From there, make your way in the same direction you were on when you passed the small group. Your aiming to make it to what I call "the plains". Thats the same plains that have those bone dragons on them. On your way there, you will have to run through around 3 more groups, but there will be places you can stop to heal up. Cause things are fairly randomly patrolled, you will have to decide on the go if it's safe enough to stop to heal.

Once you get down the hill, and into the plains, there will be one group very close by, you should run up past them and to the left, by the wall. This is a safe place as long as none slows down and brings the agro. This is why you need to be able to run full time, because otherwise you drag the agro with you to the group, and won't be able to stop and heal.

Now in my experience, there is always a chest that spawns randomly in these plains. You will have to do some searching to find it. Try to move as a group, or small groups to find it. Make sure you skirt around the patrolling enemy groups, and sprint away if you draw agro. When you find the chest, it'll usually have a group situated nearby, so alert your team mates and cluster near the group, but far away enough to not draw agro. Run in as a group to the chest and quickly get your item ASAP. Sprint away once you have your item to a safe spot. If anyone dies, do your best to rez them, but not at the expense of your own death.

I've seen 2 chests in this area before, but it's not common. From there you must decide where to search next. I usually prefer to run up to "the collasium". Thats where those wurms are and it's sort of a hub that leads to different areas. I've found a chest in that area before, and also areas it leads to.

Basically, you can be guarenteed a chest that drops a gold item in that plains area, and after that, it's a seach mission. Rez people as you can, leave them if you can't, but the bigger the group, the easier to survive. I see a lot of gold Shadow Staffs, Shadow Bows and Chaos Axes dropping, as well as some of the more mundane items out there. Good luck and good hunting.

firekil
January 2nd, 2006, 7:02 am 

Okay, u forgot the beach place with the ancient skales, theres always a chest there. Also, the chest in the plains isnt always gold, just yesterday i got 2 purples in a row from 2 differrent chests there. Missed a couple of chest spots, and didnt really explain any routes except the one to the plains. NAY

jezza01
January 2nd, 2006, 3:42 pm 

I've never had a purple from the one in the plains, but I have had one from the one on the beach. And besides, it was only a guide to where I go when I conduct my runs.

If what you say is true, then it must be rare because I've done this around 20 times without getting purple from there.

firekil
January 2nd, 2006, 8:15 pm 

Ussualy, I too begin at the plains, but then move onto the beach area where there is always one, if not two chests.

Tault_admin
January 3rd, 2006, 1:06 am 
administrator
administrator
Mod in Training

Cash on hand:

firekil worth some points?

firekil
January 3rd, 2006, 6:52 am 

hmmm, ok i'll give ita yay.

deadlyblowfish
January 3rd, 2006, 9:26 am 

Cash on hand:

hmm, nay, its not too good, there are better ones for free.

Tault_admin
January 3rd, 2006, 11:30 am 
administrator
administrator
Mod in Training

Cash on hand:

1 yay and 1 nay need 2 more yays

ahddm1
February 2nd, 2006, 2:53 pm 

If tou add a map I vote Yay.

Use this:
http://www.gwonline.net/images/cartogra ... ofwoes.php

It's a very good map

Tault_admin
February 2nd, 2006, 5:04 pm 
administrator
administrator
Mod in Training

Cash on hand:

wait ahddm1 is that a yay from you or he needs to add a map?

ahddm1
February 2nd, 2006, 9:04 pm 

he needs to add map

[ 11 posts ]