top right

TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

Solo Trapper Build (Ranger) & Tips for use. : GW Submissions

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
Tault_poster55
February 18th, 2006, 9:24 am 

Cash on hand:

Its best to set up 6+ traps first, then agro the mobs you wish trap. If they are a warrior or melee type mob, use a spirit near your traps, and when they get close they will target it instead of you, leaving you free to trap more. You can usually setup 9 traps with serpents quickness, before pulling.

AVOID PULLING MIXED COMBAT TYPE GROUPS!! Meaning do not pull a group that has both ranged attack mobs and melee attack mobs. This will mess up your traps. The melee will set them off before you get the ranged close enough to them, and then the ranged mobs make a nuisance of themselfs by canceling your attempts to set new traps.

The location of your traps is important. You want to try to set them around a curved wall where mobs will be forced to run into the wall, then walk around flush with the wall. If you watch the way the mobs travel, you will understand what I mean. For those of you that don't I will draw a little ascii diagram. Also this will help you get the mobs bunched up into a group so they all hit the trap at the same time.
\
\\ * Mob here
\\\\
\\\\\
|||||* trap here
/////
////
//* stand here after pulling
/

If there are no suitable walls, try to set your traps at an angle so the mobs will group up when they come at you. For example:

.................................................. ..
....................*............................. ..
................*...*..*.....<Group of mobs
.....................*............................ ..
.....*pull from here...........................
...........................................* Traps here

Pull from one side of the group, let them come at you, and just before they are in attack range (if they have ranged attacks) high tail it to your traps, If they are melee, like ettins, let them get close, but not close enough to hit.

Also, you want to use traps in this order, after they have agro'd you. Barbed trap, use this first to keep them from running away from your traps. Dust trap, use this next, so they are blinded and cant interupt your next trap. Flame trap, this one comes last because it will make them run from your traps and scatter.

If your blind from dust trap wears off too soon, use throw dirt to reblind them, also bring whirling defense, or a skill with equal evasion.

When laying your traps, carry a +12 energy staff, as these usually don't have a req. Use serpents quickness BEFORE you start laying your traps, as serpents quickness only effects skills that are used AFTER it is cast. If you use it before, you waste half the duration of the skill waiting on your traps to recharge.

Skills to bring should be
Poison - Use this just before you pull them, it helps with the burn, and cycle targets, spreading your poison around.
Barbed Trap
Flame Trap
Dust Trap
Throw Dirt
Troll Unguent
Serpents Quickness
Storm Chaser - I usually bring this incase I get an agro before my traps are ready

Stats should be all on Expertise and Wilderness Survival. If you have all of your stat points, put the remaining points into marksman. You won't be using a bow much though, except for poison. If you have spike trap, swap it with Poison.

One more thing, when laying 6+ traps, lay them in piles of 3, then take a small step and lay them in another set of 3. If you pile them all into 1 spot instead of spreading them out a little bit, they have trouble setting off properly, and don't deal the appropriate damage.

BTW I also posted this on gwonline.net :) my username there is littleming.

Tault_poster55
February 19th, 2006, 10:53 am 

Cash on hand:

If you need to verify that I am the original author of this feel free to send me a PM on gwonline.net :P since that's where I posted it originally ^_^

P.S. Already have membership :) just lookin to help people.

[ 2 posts ]