taultunleashed logoMythic Claiming to scan for cheats question : DAOC Discussion
newtopic  postreply
 [ 15 posts ] 
blue large dot

Mythic Claiming to scan for cheats question : DAOC Discussion

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 5:22 am

Guest's Reps:
My question is this ....

Am I safe in keeping XUnleashed installed fully on my computer and not using it. I would like to wait and see if Mythic actually does find people cheating, and actually does ban them. Once you have Radar its REALLY easy to tell which other people have it and are using it.

So will I be safe in keeping the program installed and never running it, just to see if Mythic is actually right and they are going to ban, or should I uninstall before Frontiers comes out.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 9:09 am

Admin

Total Posts: 1168
Admin's Reps: 4
administrator
premium
DAOC is just one of the games that XUnleahed supports. I beleive that they would have a hard time banning somebody for something that is "installed" on their system but not being run.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 3:18 pm

Guest's Reps:
But can Mythic "see" that it is installed on our system?

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 4:10 pm

Guest's Reps:
New Anti-Hack Technology Coming In New Frontiers
Posted By: Sanya Thomas
2004-06-15 16:18:15

Got an important essay for you folks:

New Frontiers represents a clean, fresh beginning for realm versus realm combat in Dark Age of Camelot. Part of that new beginning means that we must continue our ongoing battle against the cheaters and hackers who seek to have an advantage over honest players in our new lands; over the honest players who are the vast, vast majority of our customer base.

As part of the New Frontiers development effort, we have developed new "hacker sensing" technology. Early tests indicate that we can identify hackers better than ever before, and at the same time with fewer hours of investigation. We’re very excited about this, as it will significantly speed up our banning process. We have always cared very much about getting cheaters out of the game, but the process was so time consuming that it frustrated both ourselves and our honest players. Now, our first New Frontiers bannings and suspensions will happen during the first week of launch.

On some message boards, a few people have posted that they believe they need to use cheat programs because "everyone" does. While our numbers don’t reflect this at all - our tests continue to indicate that only a small minority of our players cheat - we will still give those people a chance to jump off the bandwagon and stop cheating of their own free will. Here’s your notice: If you completely uninstall the programs now, you won’t have anything to worry about.

If someone doesn’t uninstall the cheat programs he depends on to stand a chance against good players, because he thinks this is just another typical pre-release press release, he’ll present the perfect chance for us to give our new technology a spin. We’re looking forward to banning even more players who feel that it is perfectly acceptable to cheat in our game. Mythic will gladly lose the small portion of its subscriber base that does not abide by the EULA in order to make the game experience even better for the vast majority of the players.

Although our new technology guarantees faster and more accurate investigations, we will still consider each case individually and take the action appropriate to each account. Just remember, our stated policy is, and has always been "one proven hack, one banned account". If we opt to give second chances, we can only hope that people take advantage of the chance to start fresh.

New Frontiers will be be great fun, and we want the great rewards to accrue to players who really are that good, as opposed to people that really are that sad. Thanks for playing, and we hope you all enjoy yourselves on launch day.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 4:27 pm

darkspawn
darkspawn's Reps:
They cannot search a persons computer for installed programs.

The only way they would be able to catch someone using a 3rd party program is if it modified the camelot files on your system and along with the patching when you first start, they would also scan your c:/camelot dir to see if anything is off.

EQ did/does this, dunno if mythic allready has this in place.

As far as I know, there is no way to detect a packet sniffer.

I dare them to invade my privacy by scanning my personal machine.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 4:29 pm

incomingzerg
incomingzerg's Reps:
Well then what exactly are they doing to stop it?

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 9:59 pm

crypto
crypto's Reps:
It might not be to stop XU, although I am sure that they would love to. It might be to stop some otyher hacks in there ie...speed hacks. Or it might looks for things that don't coencide with someone playing,like trying to craft something 12 times, with out enough matrial

Posted: June 17th, 2004, 7:01 am

einheri
einheri's Reps:
"I dare them to invade my privacy by scanning my personal machine."

They aren't. They are in all likelihood having the game itself check for something hooking into game.dll, which unleashed does. From what they have said, they will then flag that person's account and start observing/testing them.

Posted: June 17th, 2004, 10:12 am

incomingzerg
incomingzerg's Reps:
Why isnt WyvernX replying to this..

Posted: June 17th, 2004, 12:00 pm

AssCobra

Total Posts: 24
AssCobra's Reps: 0
incomingzerg (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):

he already did if ye take a closer look in the forums and as always its good news :D

Posted: June 17th, 2004, 12:06 pm

einheri
einheri's Reps:
mighty_fc (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
incomingzerg (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):

he already did if ye take a closer look in the forums and as always its good news :D

Many of us can't look at those forums because our accounts haven't been converted.

Posted: June 17th, 2004, 12:18 pm

AssCobra

Total Posts: 24
AssCobra's Reps: 0
einheri (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
mighty_fc (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):

Many of us can't look at those forums because our accounts haven't been converted.

aww :( but i guess they have a crapload of work now so just hang in there, i know my conversion was done in roughly 1 hour so i was lucky

Posted: June 21st, 2004, 11:03 am

uncahell
uncahell's Reps:
AssCobra (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
einheri (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):

aww :( but i guess they have a crapload of work now so just hang in there, i know my conversion was done in roughly 1 hour so i was lucky

wow lucky man i been waiting days and days nf launches tommorow im about to pull my hair out here

Posted: June 21st, 2004, 11:03 am

uncahell
uncahell's Reps:
AssCobra (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):

wow lucky man i been waiting days and days nf launches tommorow im about to pull my hair out here

Posted: June 22nd, 2004, 6:52 am

dreams
dreams's Reps:
hehe they claim less than 10% of population uses radar or in their words cheat programs. I think they are either not telling truth on that study or cant find many of them. Reason I say this casue anyone that has peered through radar for even 10 minutes knows that is full of it.. You can stand still and watch the groups flock to you like flies to honey.. coiincidence maybe

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online