taultunleashed logoStealther Detection : DAOC Discussion
newtopic  postreply
 [ 14 posts ] 
blue large dot

Stealther Detection : DAOC Discussion

Posted: August 12th, 2003, 6:11 am

larrylmcp
larrylmcp's Reps:
I play on a PVP server and this helps me stay out of harms way. Although the assassins make it impossible. Is there a way to detect them as well, I mean they have an IP and they cause network traffic as well. They can make your machine lag a tad before you see them, there has to be a way to read the network activity they cause.[:-banghead]

Posted: August 12th, 2003, 6:23 am

Estil
Estil's Reps:
yes, ive noticed the Maper does not show stealthed PC's also. It only show when they unstealth. Would be nice to see that FG of NS before while your runninag tword that single unstealthed Ranger. Pfft

Good idea mate, unfortunatly i know nothing about makeing programs[:-banghead]or i would definatly put that one on my priority list since i like playing Palatrator everynow and then.

Posted: August 12th, 2003, 8:07 am

notmyrealname32
notmyrealname32's Reps:
When they are stealthed nothing is send to the opponents PCs. There is no way to "see" them with a hack.

Posted: August 12th, 2003, 11:44 pm

John1478
John1478's Reps:
Yes its been said even Mythics computers dont even know where they are till they unstealth. And the folks at unleashed said even if their system could detect people that are steathed ( they cant) that they would not put it in the program.

So while it would be nice to have, its not gonna happen.

Posted: September 22nd, 2003, 11:30 am

rage
rage's Reps:
Im glad. LOL
Need one toon I can play to avoid other x users. :-)

Posted: September 23rd, 2003, 4:32 am

blunt
blunt's Reps:
the day any hack liek stealth-hack appears, im leaving the game.
cuz it will be easy for cheaters to find anyone. and im not up for that.
and i hope you didn't really mean this seriously.

if there would be a hack for "pvp servers" that worked for every other server.

Posted: September 23rd, 2003, 8:09 am

ICU
ICU's Reps:
Not that I'm looking for stealthers to appear on the map, but Mythic's systems must know where all the stealthers are. Otherwise, how is it possible for 2 stealthers to cross paths and spot each other in stealthed form.

And I was wondering.... does the DAoC client send a packet to the server to decided if it is possible to stealth? Where is the "You are too close to an enemy to hide" check done? If its locally, then there is some enemy stealther info local to our PCs.

Posted: September 24th, 2003, 8:18 am

Tanek
Tanek's Reps:
That's the server reacting to your "stealth" command, when you're too close to one. Gets checked on the server and you dont know you can't stealth before you try and the server tells you that you can't.

And because I can lure people after me, by unstealthing in various shrubbery and immediately restealth and run to another place further away, and them following to the EXACT same spot I did that at, then the game will become virtually unplayable to anyone but those who can make the biggest and best zerg, if stealtherdetect radars were possible.

But if by some strike of chance that it really would be possible, I'd do anything I could to get a trojan/backdoor planted into that program and mess up everyone who used it, or have the program send easily detectable packets for Mythic to detect, so they can instantly swing the banstick on first try.

Posted: September 26th, 2003, 8:21 am

newuser99
newuser99's Reps:
I use this program, but for you guys to say that detecting stealthers would be cheating is beyond hypocritical. Using the mapping program is cheating.

You stealthers use it to your advantage to avoid zergs and groups etc. How is that any different.

Ridiculous.

Posted: September 29th, 2003, 3:01 am

blunt
blunt's Reps:
see? probably you use this program too newuser99. and because of people like you is the reason we have to use the same program.. it's so funny when i see zergs from enemy realms turn 180 degrees when i unstealth to tease them.

no offence tho. just don't call us ridiculous.

Posted: October 9th, 2003, 11:38 pm

Far-N-Wide
Far-N-Wide's Reps:
A bit off topic but some what related.

When my INF leveled out of his gear I gave it to a Friar Guild mate. He swears that by taking it Off and On standing next to his INF (on a 2nd PC). He claims he sees the inf better with my old gear.

Posted: October 10th, 2003, 5:09 am

vendettaa
vendettaa's Reps:
newuser99 is right.[:-viking]

NUFF SAID[^]

Posted: October 10th, 2003, 3:22 pm

Tanek
Tanek's Reps:
It's a moot point nevertheless discussing "degrees" of cheating as an argument for the existance of a stealther detect radar. Because it's not possible. Mythic doesn't send data packets until you are actually able to see the stealther shadow (proximity, See hidden or Truesight).

If anything it would make it even easier to detect you. For instance like a CSR spawning as a stealther and run around, laughing at all the script kiddies like newuser and vendettaa who obviously would beeline for any stealther that entered radar range. Like shooting fish in a barrel for Mythics banstick people. But it would clean up the gene pool, leaving the rest of us with unbanned accounts.

... the rest of us who doesn't do a 180 whenever a stealther unstealths
... the rest of us who only position yourself discreetly on the opposite side in the groupfrom incoming instead of beelining directly towards/away from the enemy
... the rest of us who doesn't react on the map info ALL THE TIME, and if we do, we're discreet and "random" about it

You get the picture.

It's not a question about morals/hypocritisicm (sp?). It's whether it's technically possible. And it isn't, so why whine/argue about it?

Posted: October 29th, 2003, 10:23 pm

Viator
Viator's Reps:
In regards to stealthers, stealth is an essential attribute of the class. If there was a "cheat" to detect them, it would be the end of the class.

Since there isn't such a cheat, I suppose that the discussion is moot; however, I would mention that stealthers can't see other stealthers either (not sure how see hidden and true sight work).

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online