taultunleashed logoWeb Development Options : Developer's Corner
newtopic  postreply
 [ 11 posts ] 
blue large dot

Web Development Options : Developer's Corner

Posted: April 28th, 2004, 8:11 pm

Sniper007
Sniper007's Reps:
Alright... this is what I'm looking at doing: Developing a website that is fully automated (or as close to fully as possible) in it's updates. I want to make objects that contain strings of text, and strings of numbers, then make computations, link locations in my site to, and pull data from, these objects. These objects must be able to take in data from text files that are changing regularly, and display the changes on the website.

I am quite persistant, and I believe I can learn anything given sufficient motivation. But the question at hand is: What development tool should I use?

I have Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2003 installed (Visual Basic, C++, and all sorts of other crap) . I also have MS Excel (which I am quite fluent in, but seems to be limited in handling and refrencing objects), and I've tinkered with making .html files with it. Keep in mind I have NEVER made a web page before, and I will most likely get help with the artistic side of it. I THINK what I'm trying to do is pretty basic: It's all text and numbers... no fancy stuff. I have A-C-T-o-o-l (...if I can say that word here), and XUnleashed as well.

The reason I ask this forum is because .... we'll you're all into this kinda stuff. I would just pick a program and jump into it, but I'm looking at hundreds of hours of my time being spent... and I'd HATE to pick a development tool that is incapable of or inefficient at what I am trying to do. So when in doubt, ask the experts! Thanks in advance for your time.

[:-spin]

Posted: April 28th, 2004, 8:17 pm

WyvernX
WyvernX's Reps:
Simply said, learn vbscript. It is all you need.
For web pages, and the plugins.

Posted: April 29th, 2004, 4:48 am

Devestator
Devestator's Reps:
Pretty much any of the newer interenet programming languages can handle this. You can use VBScript if you know VB already, Java or Javascript if you know java, PHP (doubt you know php if you've never written a webpage), Perl...

VBScript or PHP would probably be you fastest and easiest to learn with PHP having the most wide support I think. Not to mention PHP can be include direct HTML and be stuff while I dont think VBScript can. I havn't really messed with VBScript on the net enough to know exactly how it works.. I just always used PHP for my web programming.

Posted: April 29th, 2004, 5:39 am

Sniper007
Sniper007's Reps:
Aw man, I'm torn. WyvernX says VBScript, and he's a god. But Devestator was much more detailed and said PHP, but he's not a god. I think I'll lean towards the omniscient..

[:-smirk]

Posted: April 29th, 2004, 11:55 am

WyvernX
WyvernX's Reps:
Devestator is a pretty bright guy.

Think of php and vbs like chevy and ford.

Take your pick

Posted: May 4th, 2004, 9:45 am

Sniper007
Sniper007's Reps:
Contrary to what I said, I ended up going with PHP and MySQL. I'm very very happy I did. I cannot believe how powerful these two are. I can do everything I ever dreamed and more.

Posted: March 23rd, 2005, 12:52 pm

sinshar

Total Posts: 199
sinshar's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
Php rocks. ... I wish Xunleashed supported it.

ooooo going to beg...
/afk begging admin for C or PHP support

Posted: March 23rd, 2005, 9:51 pm

Guest's Reps:
Xunleashed supporting PHP is not a completely unrealistic request... just a completely ridulous request being that PHP was developed for the mere purpose of being a Hypertext Preprocessor... (made for programming dynamic websites). People with intermediate knowledge of PHP should have some familiarity with other programming languages and if not would not have much difficulty using JScript or VBScript to program bots for XU.

Now designing your website using PHP, the Zend engine and MySQL are definately a good choice. People who know Java or prefer a more advanced API and development environment might want to use Tomkat to serve java pages ... there are some more advanced and modern Java website servers that I am not yet familiar with in addition to Tomkat.

Posted: March 23rd, 2005, 9:52 pm

webavant
webavant's Reps:
Whoops... i forgot to sign in before posting that last post in this thread.

Posted: March 24th, 2005, 7:48 am

sinshar

Total Posts: 199
sinshar's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
VIsual Basic IS like Throwing left handed for me..... heheheh
Sure i can do it.. but it sure does feel like i suck at it LOL.

Php->sql is a good combo i use it everyday.

so, Of all the Scripting languages supported which one most closely resembles C.
I fully realize that they all will do just about the same thing.

Posted: March 24th, 2005, 11:29 pm

asl18fs

Total Posts: 2707
asl18fs's Reps: 1
Lifetime Member (Scripting)
premium
Use JScript, it's the one that most resembles c.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online