taultunleashed logoEVE Guide: Compact Mining Guide : EVE Online Guides | Free EVE Guides
newtopic  postreply
 [ 11 posts ] 
blue large dot

EVE Guide: Compact Mining Guide : EVE Online Guides | Free EVE Guides

Posted: May 29th, 2006, 5:04 am

terminico
terminico's Reps:
Hi,
in this guide ill give some tips for mining in low and high sec.

there are 2 different types of mining:
- quantity mining
- quality mining

quantity mining is mining in high sec sectors, where rats (enemy NPCs) are really easy to kill or where there are no rats or any pirates (players) who might kill u and steal ur ore.
there are no rats in 0.9 and 1.0 systems and normal rats are in 0.5 - 0.8 systems. i suggest mining omber in 0.5 and 0.6 systems if u wanna go quantity mining.

if u are a beginner u have to start with quantity mining, cause u arent strong enough to go to low sec, if u are a caldari i suggest u train ur skills until u can get a cormorant (a destroyer) and get 5 mining lasers on it.
and u should get an hauler, an badger mark 2 isnt bad for it and u dont need much skills for that...
if u got this 2 ships and a weapon on the cormorant to defend urself against rats, u fly to an asteroid belt with the cormorant and start mining
there. if u got the first ration of ore, u jettison it into space (rights click on the ore, then jettison). now ur ore is in a can next to u. open the cargo space of the can by right clicking on it and then "open cargo". from now on u drag n drop all the ore u mine and move it into the can.
but be careful, this cans disappear (implode or explode) after a bit more than 2 hours.
if u got loads of ore in the can, u fly back to the station and take ur hauler, f.ex. the badger and fly to the belt and get the ore out of the can into ur ship and bring it back to the station. repeat that until u got all ur ore in the station.

quality mining is mining in low sec space with security from 0.0 to 0.4
if u havent got a good ship with some weapons and/or drones i wouldnt go there cause else u'll be killed really fast in there.
but if u have a good ship and some weapons, u may mine there.
theres a bigger risk when mining coz of strong rats and player pirates, that can attack u in low sec space, coz there wont be punished for that as they are punished in high sec systems.
u need to have some weapons and in best case loads of drones to defend urself. get a place to mine far far away from the place, where u are when u warp to the belt, so that u have enough time to react when a pirate comes. put at least one warp core stabilizer in ur ship, that the enemy cannot prevent u from warping out that fast.

so, this tips have been for solo mining. if u go group mining, there are some things changed...
u have to be an hauler or a miner (or a defender against rats)
the miners mine ore and put it into a can, the hauler gets it back to the station and the defender destroys rats and pirates.

mining lasers are one thing u need to mine in eve. be carefully when choosing urs. ill give u some tips here to find a right one for u.
the XeCl Mining Laser is an expensive but good laser beam for mining in high sec. it has not that much cpu need and mines 47 ore units per minute.
the miner 2 mines 60 units per minute but also has an higher cpu need.
if u wanna go quality mining i would use deep core mining lasers to mine mercoxit or some other deep core ore.
if ure running a mining barge u should use strip miners, which are really fast in mining but mining barges are not that good for low sec, coz they cant defend themselves that good.

if u wanna mine successful u have to train ur mining skills, too.
they increase the amount of the ore u mine really well.

greetings, Terminico

Last edited by Guest on May 31st, 2006, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: May 30th, 2006, 7:03 am

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Can premium members say yay or nay to this as for it being moved to the confirmed section.

Posted: May 30th, 2006, 6:23 pm

tault_buckw1
tault_buckw1's Reps:
Well, the guide is accurate enough and since there is not one in the guide forum......YAY.

Posted: May 31st, 2006, 10:37 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
Premium Granted

Posted: February 13th, 2007, 6:42 pm

tenant
tenant's Reps:
Damn. I would have Nay'd this for sure. This post uses way too much "u, ur, u'll" and "coz" to be considered a good guide.

Granted the information might be correct, but come on, let's set a standard for quality here people. If you're going to be giving them free access to an otherwise paid service, at least enforce some consistency in the usage of real words.

Posted: February 13th, 2007, 9:02 pm

tault_buckw1
tault_buckw1's Reps:
Anything Eve related is rare, we take what we can get.

Can you post a better, unique guide?

Posted: February 14th, 2007, 3:12 pm

tault_nethel
tault_nethel's Reps:
Edited:

Greetings,
In this guide I'll provide some helpful tips for mining in both high and low security systems.

There are two different types of mining:
- Quantity mining and
- Quality mining

Quantity

Typically this type of mining is done is high security space, where hostile NPC's (rats) are relatively easy to kill, or in the case of 1.0 and 0.9 security systems, nonexistent. Similarly, there is a relatively low risk of hostile players attempting to kill you, or even steal your hard earned ore. The NPC's in 0.8 down to 0.5 security systems are relatively easy to kill, and increase in difficulty as the security decreases. For most asteroid belts, a full complement of five light drones will be sufficient to kill the rats. The most profitable (typically) ores to quantity mine are Kernite (Amarr space) or Omber (Gallente space), found in 0.5 and 0.6 security. However, with current mineral prices, some may find that ores like Scordite can yield just as much profit. Remember when selling your ores to make sure and check the price of the ore itself, and compare it to the price for the refined minerals, as it can sometimes be higher.

Quality

This type of mining is done in the lesser policed zones of 0.4 to 0.1 space, and the lawless space of 0.0 security. New players should wait until they can confidently contend with both difficult NPC's as well as hostile players. There is a larger risk associated with mining in low security, as players are mostly free to attack you while in asteroid belts; there is no police response as in Empire (1.0-0.5). If you are confident in your combat capabilities, it is advisable to select a system far away from the main routes, where you are less likely to be disturbed. The map can be of great assistance here, especially the "Jumps in the last hour" and "Faction/Police Ships Destroyed", which can help you gauge the level of activity in a system.

Modules

There is a whole category of module in EVE dedicated to mining, aptly named Mining Lasers. The basic miner you receive on your rookie ship is the most rudimentary, pulling in 30m3 of ore. The most advanced, the Modulated Strip Miner II, can pull in excess of 1,000m3. These, however, are a long way off. To start your mining adventures, you should acquire several units of Miner I, or named variants like the Cu Vapore Bore, or XeCl Mining Laser.

Ships

Your goal as a new player should be to get into a destroyer. These frigate-based ships are capable of fitting many turrets, and are therefore excellent mining ships. From there, it is advisable to next train to be able to pilot an industrial class ship. These will allow you to use a technique called jet can mining, in which you jettison the ore from your cargo, and later haul it to the station with the colossal holds of an industrial ship.

The ideal miner is one who can defend himself. To reach this end, you must not only concentrate on your industrial and ship skills, but also on your drone skills. Depending on the ship you choose to mine in, you may also be able to fit an offensive turret or missile bay, in addition to a full complement of mining lasers. Once skilled in both the piloting of destroyers and industrial ships, each race has a cruiser whose bonuses are dedicated to mining. These cruiser receive a 60% bonus to mining yield per level of the cruiser skill trained, resulting in a relatively inexpensive ship that is able to out mine even the first tier mining barge.

Posted: February 15th, 2007, 3:36 pm

tenant
tenant's Reps:
Kudos to Tault_Nethel for his wonderful revision. (and to terminico, for providing the original guide information)

Posted: February 23rd, 2007, 3:47 am

ophidian

Total Posts: 282
ophidian's Reps: 13
Lifetime Member (Guides)
premium
If you're going to write a guide then barge mining needs more than a short amount of space. If you're flying ships nice enough to mine with miner I's in 0.0 then you should probably be ratting.

If you're mining 0.0 then you need a Retriever/Covetor or a Mackinaw/Hulk. Hulk is a beast but a Covetor is cheap and just about as good if you are mining in a group.

The Mackinaw is a beastly miner if you are mining Ice in 0.0. It is by far the best Ice mining rig you can get. It only fits 2 lasers but its natural bonuses make up for it when fitted with Tech 2 Ice Strippers.

Astrogeology should also be mentioned. You'll need it for flying Mining Barges but it also increases the overall mining ammount per minute.

Ophidian

Posted: October 26th, 2008, 1:36 pm

ryemion57

Total Posts: 2
ryemion57's Reps: 1
I agree with Tennant. Standards should be in place. This is not a forum thats requires text messaging short cuts. The original post had me wondering about the literacy of the poster. If you have the intelligence to gain the knowledge, you also have it to present a polished guide.

Posted: October 27th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
The way it works is we are a democratic vote. Dont want to stuff then just nay it. Its simple to take care of :)

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online