taultunleashed logoWhat do you think about eq2 free to play : EverQuest 2 General Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 11 posts ] 
blue large dot

What do you think about eq2 free to play : EverQuest 2 General Discussions

Posted: August 4th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Give some insight guys. Are you for it or against it and why?

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 2:42 am

bhhunter

Total Posts: 73
bhhunter's Reps: 5
MMO Lord
premium
If you just want to solo than its all good cause you can just craft all your gear. But with the cash market it's useless for end game.

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 9:07 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
I havent looked into the free to play parts. Do they require you to purchase items for the best end game loot?

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 9:11 am

babyenma

Total Posts: 85
babyenma's Reps: 6
Active User > 50 Posts
Its completely different servers. It will ultimately mean EQ2 Live will die off because all new subscriptions will be going to EQ2X. This has been stated over and over on the official forums and has been backed by the fact that all new subscriptions will be placed on EQ2X and the current trial will be deleted.

You will have to buy everything, from races, to character slots, to gear. I think it will ultimately be a big /fail for this game and will probably be looking for a new game soon.

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 9:39 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
Well i know its a big thing right now for people to pay for items and them being free. Games make a ton of money.

Yea its going to hurt the game alot. Why not merge servers. I mean give premium people everything they can get, while free have to buy certain items. This is going to split up the games userbase even more and hurt them. Bad move sony. But then again they where the ones that gimped swg.

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 9:51 am

babyenma

Active User > 50 Posts
That is very true, honestly I wish someone would come out with a game like the good old days. Monthly fee, no cash shop, good communication from developers to players and finally someone who listens to their community and puts what the players want into the game.

Posted: August 5th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
Yea the problem is wow came. For all people loved it. The game killed so many other mmos that they are being forced to work hard for cash. Its like swg. The game was great then they needed more money and someone in the uppers of the company had a giant carebear update.

Posted: August 9th, 2010, 9:08 am

jrob1234

Total Posts: 97
jrob1234's Reps: 8
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I'd have to disagree, I think this might be good for the game. I've been playing it for 6 years, and it's only getting more dead and less populated every year. I think they've tried just about everything to repopulate it, and just can't compete with WoW, so they got a new plan.

Sure you all have great arguments, but the 12 day trial isn't really working. For the casual gamer, you need more than 12 days to get to end game, and that's where most the fun is at, so people get to try out EQ2X for free for months if they want, and if they decide they want more, they can always switch to the full EQ2 after they get hooked. I think this can draw in a bunch of players. Once you get them into EQ2 (even if it is in EQ2X, it won't be long before some switch to EQ2 normal).

Posted: August 9th, 2010, 1:10 pm

babyenma

Active User > 50 Posts
jrob1234 (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I'd have to disagree, I think this might be good for the game. I've been playing it for 6 years, and it's only getting more dead and less populated every year. I think they've tried just about everything to repopulate it, and just can't compete with WoW, so they got a new plan.

Sure you all have great arguments, but the 12 day trial isn't really working. For the casual gamer, you need more than 12 days to get to end game, and that's where most the fun is at, so people get to try out EQ2X for free for months if they want, and if they decide they want more, they can always switch to the full EQ2 after they get hooked. I think this can draw in a bunch of players. Once you get them into EQ2 (even if it is in EQ2X, it won't be long before some switch to EQ2 normal).

I as many others disagree. This does nothing to bring new players to the live servers. An old says "Why buy something when you can get it free?"

That is true to this very day, when you can get the exact same thing free why buy it? Right now, there is zero incentive to swap from eq2x to eq2. You can get exactly the same thing out of eq2x as you can in eq2, even more actually since you have a more robust marketplace.

As a gamer that has played free and subscription based games, I can tell you this will not work. Reasons being, are listed below.

1) You cannot transfer your toon for free from EQ2X to EQ2 or vice verse.
2) If you decide you like the game you can always stay on EQ2x with the same subscription model as regular EQ2 players have.
3) You get benefits for playing on EQ2X, (EG: Robust Marketplace allowing you to buy better armor for a little Cash.)
4) EQ2 Live Servers, have dwindling population.
5) Server will not lag like on EQ2 Live thus, meaning you are more likely to stay. *This will be fixed soon.*
6) EQ2 Live is NOT free.

These are just "some" of the things that will keep new players on EQ2X. #6 is the main reason. The people Sony are trying to attract are basically those that are young, just starting out playing video games and have no money. Yeah sure some might be older but, its basically the same thing, they don't want to spend money on a game. Why should they when there are tons out there that are free, and FUN.

EQ2 has gotten stale over the last few years. (EG The Stupid Odyssey/The Stupid Frontier)

Posted: August 9th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
Well eq2 has gotten stale and paid members will leave but wont this help overall the game of eq2?

Posted: September 11th, 2011, 9:17 am

gamegirl6

Total Posts: 36
gamegirl6's Reps: 34
premium
Have to agree with others. For one thing, their F2P model is a rip off. For what you pay in the "free" model to get what the live servers have, you can be on the live servers for a lot less. (IMO DDO has a better model.) It's not helping the game and I dunno if it's killing it either, but I do know the constant nerfing and over-simplifying of game mechanics is driving off the people that remain or return.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online