[ 14 posts ] 
blue large dot

WoW or EQ2? : EverQuest 2 General Discussions

Posted: November 5th, 2004, 8:06 pm

youngyoda

Total Posts: 103
youngyoda's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
Well FFXI was kinda like a baby’s MMORPG I just played that because im a die hard FF fan. Now im really into MMORPG’s.. so my question is for people that have played EQ2 beta or WoW beta what are you going for? EQ2? Or WoW? They seem to have the same hype and both quite a following WoW will come out a few weeks behind EQ2 but they seem very different in terms of the look and feel of the games. Any opinions on this? I will probably just break down and buy both but I would like to hear why you are choosing one over the other. I am also going to play guildwars but as that will be out in 7 months or so I have time for another game. The PvP in guild wars is just so much fun! WoW seems to have some PvP possibilities also. I have not played EQ im not sure about EQ2. fill me in TIA.

Posted: November 6th, 2004, 6:36 am

Guest's Reps:
I personally cannot stand the way that WoW "feels" its too cartoony.

WoW is the same ole MMORPG stuff that was happening years ago, but its a little bit more refined. All in all though WoW is "the same ole pile of steaming donkey dung".

EQ2 on the other hand takes all the BEST things from EVERY MMORPG in the past 9 years and combines it with a TON of new concepts, great quests, and very pretty graphics. From an experinced MMORPG player (Started playing UO in 1997) this is by far the best MMORPG that i have played to date.

-K

Posted: November 6th, 2004, 6:37 am

kzol

Total Posts: 31
kzol's Reps: 0
That was me btw, i guess i wasnt logged in =)

Posted: November 6th, 2004, 2:00 pm

wyvernx

Total Posts: 6718
wyvernx's Reps: 21
administrator
premium
Well, having actually played both there are some things that I really do not like about EQ2. I put these in another thread.

Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. They applal to different types of players. One user put it as WOW is about the end game because of the pvp, and eq2 is about the journey.

Posted: November 6th, 2004, 6:02 pm

devestator

Total Posts: 64
devestator's Reps: 2
Lifetime Member (Scripting)
premium
I havn't played in the EQ 2 beta but I'm in the WoW beta now. My plan is if I'm not bored with WoW by the time open beta ends I'll play it after release. If I am I'll buy EQ 2 and try it then.

WoW is a little Cartoony like another poster said but the graphics are not what makes the game. At first I felt like WoW was to easy, but then my group the other day started fighting some Elite mobs and I was like woah this is fun and a little challenging.

But only time will tell for sure and like Wyv said they are two totally different games with different play styles. WoW seems more targeted toward a casual gamer than hardcore to me, but I dont know about the pvp yet. It sounds like its going to be a lot like DAOC but not sure.

Posted: November 6th, 2004, 6:44 pm

youngyoda

Active User > 50 Posts
If the play styles are truly that different I guess playing both wouldn’t be to bad play EQ2 hardcore and casually like a break from EQ2 I could play WoW since WoW is geared toward the casual gamer anyways. WoW is cartoony but have you seen the intro? The intro is awesome! Thanks for the posts very helpful.

Posted: November 13th, 2004, 7:11 pm

shortlived
shortlived's Reps:
wow is better imo, I say this only because I persoanally love teh graphics! it's like a breath of fresh air from all the new supoer renderized games comming out these days. I like the fact that it's cartoony. however I hate the crafting in wow but thats just a side point for me. I would really say you need to try them both and play the one you like best. I must also admit I havn't gotten to play EQ2 much.

Posted: November 13th, 2004, 8:38 pm

dakanai

Total Posts: 5
dakanai's Reps: 0
A couple months before the end of EQ 2's beta it was total crap. The devs were not listening and going the wrong way. Then they started to turn things around which was a huge suprise for SOE.. they actually listened. I like the game well enough as it is at release.. still would like more class diversity. Best thing is .. SOE is actually doing things based on player feedback.

World of Warcraft.. I loved it... great crafting, quest and the world. Then the last few patches totally trashed it for many people. The problem is... Blizzard is doing this within weeks of a launch date. They are not really listening to the players.. instead chanting the mantra.. we have our vision that's what it will be. We can tweak some numbers here and there but this is how it is.

Then the open beta hit and the servers are down more than up. To the point there is no way they are collecting useful data. If it matters to you I've beta tested every MMORPG from Ultima Online out... Tonight they've put up a que system like they had to put on Diablo 2 when BNet servers had such a heavy load.

Its not a case of which game is "better". They are both great games.

What bothers me is.. Its SOE that is listening to the players and not Blizzard. Somehow this seems very backwards compared to what I'd expect. Also.. if the players don't like what you push on them.. especially in a monthly pay to play game with ungodly costs... It kind of confuses me as to how intellegent of a company you are.

Anyway we'll see on the 23rd when WoW launches. Best I can say is:

I like them both.

Worst:

I wish blizzard would listen to the customers and not worry so much about the strict artistic vision they seem to think is better.

Posted: November 13th, 2004, 8:49 pm

youngyoda

Active User > 50 Posts
I have played both now and i have to say if the PvP end game in WoW turns out to be bad i think EQ2 will win or if you are into RP then EQ2 will win but if WoW's endgame is up to par WoW will win overall. There are a few things in EQ2 I don’t like it doesn’t seem as fun to me as WoW. But it comes down to content and WoW’s replay value it is said that you can get to cap in 10days hardcore so if the endgame is bad then WoW over all will be bad. They have such a long way to go yet i want to see who wants the market share more. They are both good games i consider myself lucky to be able to play both.

On a side note =) $100 is a lot to spend on games? I better beable to sell currency from one of these games.. =P

Last edited by youngyoda on November 13th, 2004, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: November 13th, 2004, 8:51 pm

youngyoda

Active User > 50 Posts
dakanai";p="48528 (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I wish blizzard would listen to the customers and not worry so much about the strict artistic vision they seem to think is better.

I also get that impression of blizzard like you said we can only wait and see.

Posted: November 14th, 2004, 3:39 pm

asl18fs

Total Posts: 2707
asl18fs's Reps: 1
premium
I was super anti wow until I tested it, so much stuff seemed bad but once I got in game I noticed that I kinda liked it. What sounds bad might not actually be bad. ;)

Anyway, Eq2 was nice but it didn't really draw me in, the big zones were quite laggy at times and the quests while ok at first got almost annoying after a while. The graphics in EQ2 are ok but all female models have melon size breasts (can't configure that away!) and the human females model (very common) looked mentally retarded. Soe seriously need help with character models, personally that's a BIG turnoff for me.
I played only mage in EQ2, played until like level 15 and didn't at all feel like playing it.

WoW, graphics are better in game than on screenshots but mostly you don't really bother, the graphics does what they're supposed to, render a nice landscape that while eq2 looks better wow feels better and in the end wow wins graphics for me. Models are decent, especially compared to eq2 but nowhere close to ffxi. (damn ffxi models own)
Now, gameplay, wow gameplay is FUN, killing in a party is fast (at least at lower levels) and you can solo decently. It's not "fake" soloing like eq2 where there's too few mobs to solo efficiently but plain solo friendly but still better if you party up. It's definitelly more friendly than ffxi but where ffxi requires competence wow doesn't, so n00b at high level warning is defenitelly in place here.
As for beta downtime and lag, it's a beta I don't mind. As for not caring about feedback, most feedback is bad feedback anyway. After playing FFXI and no feedback at all it's good enough. :oops:

Me and my brother are going to get WoW, maybe not at launch but we're defenitelly going there and not to Eq2.

Posted: November 14th, 2004, 4:10 pm

ophidian

Total Posts: 282
ophidian's Reps: 13
Lifetime Member (Guides)
premium
Man.. Reguardless of what you think Blizzard does for the players... Blizzard is a LEADER in game development. They have developed record setting games for YEARS now. When you play WoW with a nice video card you can see that even the "Cartoony" graphics have serious polish to them. Blizzard takes thier time developing games, this has been known for ages. Ive come to not caring how long development takes because the games are spectacular. Its like how I roll joints. I take my time, but when my friends smoke those babies, they smoke perfectly and they realize that the extra time was worth it in hindsight. Heh I don't even smoke anymore but I can roll perfectly.

I don't care about EQ. Its far too slow paced for me. Thats one thing I liked about WoW. Its not as slow paced as most MMORPGs and leveling isn't as rigorous of a process.

Oph

Posted: November 14th, 2004, 8:22 pm

vortex
vortex's Reps:
WoW for me has been awesome, I can't really say much about EQ2, but from what i've heard from alot of players, it's quite boring.

Posted: November 16th, 2004, 5:11 pm

asl18fs

Total Posts: 2707
asl18fs's Reps: 1
premium
Also, there's just that special feeling when you're running up the paths in for example loch modan. It just feels... natural. It doesn't feel so designed.
Other really nice places are the path with highwaymen in westfall (far south) and almost all of duskwood.
Duskwood is my new favourite zone, that is good after loch modan. (Westfall is easier than loch modan though.) It just looks so great, not at all like the screenshots, way way more eerie. My 20 mage spanked a 24 skeleton yesterday too, way too hard so keeping to wolves/spydahs to 21 at least. ^^;

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online