taultunleashed logoItem Dupe, Potential Exploit : EverQuest 2 Nerfed Info
newtopic  postreply
 [ 12 posts ] 
blue large dot

Item Dupe, Potential Exploit : EverQuest 2 Nerfed Info

Posted: January 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm

bonkite
bonkite's Reps:
Hello guys, this is really really exciting for me, but for some reason it's not working twice, BUT every time I try, I can't get the circumstances as they were when the dupe actually happened.

Ok, here's what happened. I and a friend were trading a totem of the monkey the other night, and he lagged really bad after I hit the accept button for the trade, I thought that somehow the trade was cancelled because the item was back in my inventory. He said he clicked accept but then started to really really lag as he clicked the mouse. After about 10 seconds of this major lag he replies with "lol that was some bad lag, thx." I was like "thanks for what? the trade was cancelled." He then initiated a trade with me and put a totem of the monkey in the trade window and was like "well than how did I get this?" Now, this dude is my brother-in-law, so he wouldn't lie to me, but to be sure lol, I called him on his cell. He told me that he had NO totems at all in his inventory prior to the trade, and after the lag spike, we both ended up with one. It was really REALLY weird. So we got excited and tried duping my RGF and to no avail we havent been able to re-accomplish this scenario.

Here are the exact conditions:
We were in TS on the docks near the Nek bell
We started a trade and I clicked the accept button
There was no visible lag on my end, but I can't be certain
As he was clicking accept, his computer froze for about 10 seconds
Afterward, we both had a totem in our inventory

My proposal, if possible for your scripting bot guru's is to somehow create a program or script that could spike a large amount of serverside or clientside lag, whatever you deem as being the cause, that could be triggered at will, causing the relative conditions I described. I can't imagine, now that it's on the forums, this potential exploit will last much longer, so if you think you can help, please try to re-create this to see if you can do it as well. Thanks

Posted: January 26th, 2006, 7:06 pm

facedown68

Total Posts: 82
facedown68's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
If it cant be recreated, it wont be nerfed.

I'll mess with it tonight as I have access to two accounts and two machines.

Posted: January 27th, 2006, 2:49 pm

bonkite
bonkite's Reps:
Anyone having any luck? if so and you don't want to risk putting it on the forums because you think it might get banned, PM me, I would just like to know your progress.

Posted: January 29th, 2006, 10:59 am

tault_discoduck
tault_discoduck's Reps:
Its simple server lag. I've had it happen before, as far back as the original beta, and twice since. Clientside lag won't cause it- it has to be a serverside spike, and it has to happen at a very precise time- basicly after the time the recipients inventory was updated, but before yours was. It doesn't even have to be a trade- I had it happen while moving items around in my own inventory- I was sitting in my house in vendor mode, talking on Vent- I was taking items off a stack and dropping them individualy in empty inventory slots- there was no reason to do this, just boredom. Just as I was dropping the last item from the stack, a lag spike hit (I could tell because the item refused to drop, and then things like my door quit responding)- after a bit I was disconnected. When I got back on, the stacks of 1 I had littered all over my inventory were still there, but so was the original stack.

In short, its like getting hit by lightning. You might be able to increase the odds (maybe a simple script that keeps trading the same item back and forth between 2 toons, waiting for a lucky lag spike), but faithfuly reproducing it with any predicability would be impossible. Unless, of course, you took deliberate measures to force server lag. There are 2 problems with that: first, its not nice, as it affects other players (dunno bout the rest of you, but personaly I draw the line at anything that affects other people- I don't mind sticking it to the man, but I would never intentionaly interfere with another players gaming). Second, while Im no lawyer, I belive it would be somthing that would earn you more than a simple suspension/banning. In fact, depending on what you did or tried to do, SOE could legaly seek procecution under the patriot act as a terrorist, if you caused damage or interuption in service that ammounted to more than 5000$ (knock a single server offline for a few hours, and 15$ a month prorated per hour times the number of characters on that server could easily be argued as damages "worth" more than 5k. Plus costs associated with repairing the damage). Not trying to sound overdramatic, just pointing out that when you move from clientside hacking to attempting serverside hacking, your stepping into a whole new leauge of potential concequences.

Posted: January 29th, 2006, 10:23 pm

foil_ball_boy
foil_ball_boy's Reps:
would it be possibleto like make a program that checks out the lag of their server? w/ out actually interfereing just to see patterns in lag spikes or see a lag spike coming, then you could start the trade..?

Posted: February 2nd, 2006, 4:38 am

raprgz
raprgz's Reps:
this isnt something you will get to do on a common basis.. it is an update issue with the inventorys, though you might have higher chances of it happenin in zones that naturally lag on the server.. like silent city.. but its not likelly to hapen often.. the most notorious instance of this happening is when buying stuff off of the broker in bulk... you hit the buy key 25-30 times spend the coin but only get 20 items.. if you catch it and petition they will give you your change.. but the coin is still gone to the air.

Posted: February 3rd, 2006, 3:57 pm

foil_ball_boy
foil_ball_boy's Reps:
wait wait, so if you had like a program running that just kept clicking sumthin in silent city, ya think it will eventually dupe?

Posted: February 6th, 2006, 7:14 pm

cheetarius
cheetarius's Reps:
Why don't you just temporarily unplug the ethernet cable on the machine you want to lag?

Posted: February 6th, 2006, 7:40 pm

tault_discoduck
tault_discoduck's Reps:
re-read my reply. You need to create server side lag. Client side won't do anything.

Posted: February 6th, 2006, 10:03 pm

tault_Broden

Total Posts: 2313
tault_Broden's Reps: 159
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Here is my exploit again that was deleted it was from my clans website.

This bug takes 3 characters to complete. 1st character will call the duper... Take your duper to his house along with a stack or 2 of somethign you wanna duplicate. I did 8 stack and thats why I am banned :o( put the items you would like to duplicate in your vault and open up your store and set the prices ( I set them to 1s ) . Now exit your house, once you are outside of the house double click on the door and relinquish ownership. Now your done with this character for now...

Do a /quit to goto character select screen and log on to 2nd character, we'll call him the buyer. Make sure which ever character you are using for the buyer has nothing for sale in his vault or it will bring the duper's items offline.

Now run your buyer to a broker and type in your duper's name in store owner and search. In order for this to work you have to leave 1 of each stack, so only buy 19/20 .

Now we must bring the duper's items offline to refresh them. This is where your 3rd character comes into play, we'll call him the "reset" . The reset must have an item in the vault and up for sale. So when you log onto the reset the duper's items come off the market.

Now log back on the duper, /quit , then log back onto the buyer, buy 19/20 of your items, /quit , then onto reset, /quit ... etc...

I am a member of a exploit guild and post it here because i like this site and want to help it.

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Posted: February 8th, 2006, 10:05 am

acaila
acaila's Reps:
didnt work for me- think its fixed with recent path

Posted: February 8th, 2006, 2:24 pm

tault_discoduck
tault_discoduck's Reps:
acaila (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
didnt work for me- think its fixed with recent path

nerfed.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online