taultunleashed logoA Way Around EQ2's "Window must have focus" for key presses? : EverQuest 2 Premium Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 7 posts ] 
blue large dot

A Way Around EQ2's "Window must have focus" for key presses? : EverQuest 2 Premium Discussions

Posted: January 27th, 2010, 11:24 am

jrob1234

Total Posts: 97
jrob1234's Reps: 8
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Hi, I've been working on my own bot for EQ2 for a few weeks now, it's a standalone program I'm making in C++. I figured out how to send key presses to EQ2 via code, however it looks like EQ2 ignores key presses unless the window has focus. So for instance If I have 2 EQ2 clients open my my computer, I'm trying to send automated key presses to the 2nd window without the first window losing focus. This is needed for two boxing when you're in manual control of one character.

I see crappysoftware has done this, I'm just not sure how. So as a test I opened an EQ2 window through crappysoftware, and my code is able to send that EQ2 window key presses. But my code doesn't work for windows not opened through crappysoftware/don't have focus/foreground.

So have any of you other programmers had an success emulating key presses in EQ2 without the window having focus?

I'm thinking maybe there is some function you need to override, via injecting a DLL or something.. Maybe there is some bit/byte I need to set in EQ2's memory to set to 0 or something... Not sure.

I'm comfortable in CheatEngine/ReadProcessMemory(C++), So any hints will be greatly appreciated :-)

Last edited by jrob1234 on February 2nd, 2010, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: January 27th, 2010, 11:43 am

jrob1234

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, move it if you have to.

Posted: February 1st, 2010, 3:44 pm

bearywh1te

Total Posts: 41
bearywh1te's Reps: 1
premium
hmmm, i've never seen any app be able to send keys to EQ without it in focus. I will run a few bots on 1 machine though by opening up EQ within Virtual Machines i set up. I wish I knew more about programming to help you out Jrob, but good luck. I dunno how you are going to set up your bot, but the trigger point system that the exBot uses works really really well. Anyways, good luck man :)

Posted: February 2nd, 2010, 9:19 am

jrob1234

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
bearywh1te (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
hmmm, i've never seen any app be able to send keys to EQ without it in focus. I will run a few bots on 1 machine though by opening up EQ within Virtual Machines i set up. I wish I knew more about programming to help you out Jrob, but good luck. I dunno how you are going to set up your bot, but the trigger point system that the exBot uses works really really well. Anyways, good luck man :)

Well I know Inner Space can do it, because that's what I currently use to send key presses from window 1 to window 2 with EQ2. I assume a program here has done it too: "EQ2 Helper - 2 Box Account Controller", the description fits what I want to do, but the app just crashes on my computer...

How do you open EQ within Virtual Machines? Which Virtual Machine program do you use? got a link? I'd like to try it out that way...

Thanks for the info btw

Posted: February 2nd, 2010, 11:18 am

slam666

Total Posts: 1184
slam666's Reps: 1
premium
You can use VMware workstation to play eq2 in virtual machine. I use version 7 and it work ok. You need a good computer to be able to run it smootly.

Author of EQ2Ultrabot, NOW WITH CRAFTING!!!
Read this before asking for help

Posted: February 3rd, 2010, 4:17 pm

bearywh1te

Total Posts: 41
bearywh1te's Reps: 1
premium
Yeah, i also use VMware v. 7. On the workstation I have a basic xp home OS loaded onto it that I run EQ from.

Posted: February 4th, 2010, 9:39 am

pursuited112

Total Posts: 224
pursuited112's Reps: 24
(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
however it looks like EQ2 ignores key presses unless the window has focus.

Hey jrob1234, I replied back to your PM. Please take a look at it and get in contact with me VIA msn. I may have exactly what you need (or simple modification to what I have), just programmed in a different language (I have that in VB6) , but I can make it into a DLL if absolutely needed. However I need more information as to what your trying to do and if possible see what you have programmed thus far. So if you like my help check your PM and get on MSN.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online