taultunleashed logoGetting FFXI To window with Windows vista : FFXI General Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 3 posts ] 
blue large dot

Getting FFXI To window with Windows vista : FFXI General Discussions

Posted: February 4th, 2007, 8:00 am

pocster

Total Posts: 141
pocster's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
This may seem like common sense to some people, but its useful for those who don't know.

C/P from: http://www.windower.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8818

Hello,

First off - understand that offically Windower does not now and may never support Vista.

I have been successful at getting Windower to work on FFXI using Windows Vista RTM (Build 6000) 32-Bit. I know for some people it worked "out of the box" so to speak, but it took me a bit of trial and error so I thought I would post how I got it to work.

I have the RTM from MSDN and it is a fully functional legal copy. Hardware is:

Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHZ
1gb DDR RAM
ATI x850XT AGP

I have managed to get FFXI installed and updated on Vista, and it works by itself, however it takes some tinkering to enable it to work with Windower.

How to install FFXI in Windows Vista. - January 2007

1. Install Playonline from the original Van'diel Collection DVD.
2. Copy a previously updated Playonline folder and replace the existing install.
3. Delete the Patch.bak file
4. Run Playonline and it will check all files and then reload.
5. Install FFXI + ROZ + COP from the Original Vana'diel Collection DVD.
6. Install TOAU from it's DVD.
7. Make sure to tell polboot.exe to "Run in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode" and to "Run this Program as Administrator". To do this Browse to the Final Fantasy XI install directory and right-click on polboot.exe and choose properties. Click on the Compatibilty Tab, and check off the Appropriate boxes as described above, or see (Fig A and B).

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Now that you have Final Fantasy installed and working, it's time to get the Windower working. Download and install the windower as described over here:

Arrow http://www.windower.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8373

Now with that out of the way...

1. In the windower Directory Tell Launcher.exe to "Run in XP SP2 Compatibilty Mode", and to "Always run this as Administrator". Do this as described above.
2. Fully Exit the Windows Sidebar. I was making the mistake of right-clicking on the sidebar and closing it, not realizing it was still running in the taskbar. Right-click on the taskbar icon for Sidebar and choose exit.

That's it. That should get you FFXI up and running with Windower enabled and working even in the Windows Aero interface. Make sure you aren't running and buggy Plugins in the Windower .ini file. I sugest when trying to get it to work, you disable all plugins until it's working, then enable as you need them/verify they work on Launch.

Edit - It evens works with the Vista Flip3D

Posted: February 4th, 2007, 10:02 am

btotheizzo
btotheizzo's Reps:
Thanks poc. I have ordered a new PC with vista on it, and I have been wondering about how this !@#$%^&* will work on it. Thanks again.

Posted: September 26th, 2009, 8:33 pm

jonathanjawfall

Total Posts: 2
jonathanjawfall's Reps: 0
links are broken

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online