taultunleashed logoQuestion about 3rd Party Programs : FFXI General Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 5 posts ] 
blue large dot

Question about 3rd Party Programs : FFXI General Discussions

Posted: May 23rd, 2008, 6:33 pm

tault_bobby101
tault_bobby101's Reps:
A long time ago, I remember reading some forums in which a few people posted along the lines of saying that the use of 3rd party programs were not illegal, so long as you were not afk while using them, and that they didnt fiddle with the game mechanics or cheat etc.

In other words, using a mouse recorder or "Fish Bot" was allowed, but only if you didn't go afk while the program was running. Someone boasted admitting the use of a fish bot (pre-patch) to a GM, saying "I am sat at my screen, I just don't want to have to repeatedly press buttons for fishing" and wasn't even given a warning. No idea in the truth of this though.

So my question is this. Is it still (or was it ever) allowed in the ToS to use a 3rd party program, for example a "fish bot" or a repeat macro program, while you are at your keyboard?

I've tried reading through the "Rules" section on the official POL website, and can find nothing even mentioning you are not allowed to use 3rd party prorgrams. Only the use of cheat tools etc, or 3rd pt programs to use cheat tools.

Posted: May 23rd, 2008, 8:32 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Well i suppose if they have the ability they will ban you. However if you just run a fish bot and you are there while its running. AKA dual screens watching someone and using the app. Your pretty much safe. However in a nut shell if you are to afraid to loose your account then dont bot :)

Posted: May 24th, 2008, 3:30 am

pyrolol

Total Posts: 795
pyrolol's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
Well, let's split bots into two parts, (a) Non-invasive, (b) invasive:

(a) : This includes (most! Any form of 'kill fish' option falls under section (b)) fish bots, and in general any other bot which only interacts with the game by sending keystrokes. There are now 2 possibilities within this: That SE allow you to use them attended, and that they don't. If they allow it, there's no problem, and if they don't, as long as you don't tell anyone, they can't detect it. Since you have nothing to gain by telling people, just keep quiet and you'll be fine. Obviously if you're 'caught' botting unattended you can and probably will get banned.

(b) : Much more complicated. Generally anything that edits (not reads, edits) memory falls in this category. This includes MrArgus type applications, through to POS/Flee type things. There is a spectrum of 'safety' within this. A good general rule for a beginner is to not use these at all, until you have done enough research to no longer consider yourself a beginner (and you can afford to lose the account, including possible others on same credit card) (No, this isn't enough on its own:) MrArgus (et al.) is fairly safe as long as you're careful how you set it up, and you are conscious of your surroundings, who else is there etc. at all times. POS/Flee used to be safe as long as you weren't seen, now you will be auto-banned if you get the zoning error (look it up), or if you are seen and reported. I have heard reports that people are still sucessfully using these, but advise the utmost care. To take an old example of something worse, there used to be a program that changed your jobs anywhere. SE patched it within a few days and banned everyone.

Posted: May 24th, 2008, 6:15 am

tault_bobby101
tault_bobby101's Reps:
OK, then just to set me straight, as I am not actually sure.

Would XIFish fall under (a) or (b)?

Posted: May 24th, 2008, 6:47 am

pyrolol

Total Posts: 795
pyrolol's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
(I don't actually use it) As far as I am aware it has the ability to 'kill fish' (basically sets the HP to zero), and if you use this it is a relatively (if used somewhere deserted) low risk (b), and if you don't it's an (a).

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online