newtopic  postreply
 [ 9 posts ] 
blue large dot

Before Becoming A Monk... : FFXI Submissions

Posted: February 20th, 2009, 4:44 pm

frezin

Total Posts: 7
frezin's Reps: 1
I am posting this only beacuse MNK is one of my favorite jobs...

Before proceeding with this topic, it does not describe strategies to obtain the most expensive armor or unique leveling strategies. This guide will also appear very basic to other users that have a decent amount of game experience. If you plan to become a MNK, and you are not already, then please read this first!

Monk --> Race

Hume: As a Hume, your skills are fairly moderate. Your VIT AGI and HP are fairly good as Hume. ACC, MND, and DEX are good, but can change relative to what subjob (if available) you are using.

Elvaan: This is one of the classes I would prefer to play as MNK. Although your accuracy and evasion may not be the most reliable skills, you will have excellent STR, VIT, and MND. Damage will be great (as long as are not missing). Be warned though: subligars (common MNK armor) does NOT look good on Elvaan, use at your own risk.

Tarutaru: I cannot say very much about the amount of damage this class will do, but your will have decent accuracy. Another great feature is that you will be able to gain TP at a consistant rate and use skills more frequently. However, Tarutaru Monks are rare not very commn game (from what i've seen).

Mithra: Like the Hume, most of the Mithra's stats will be balanced. However, Mithra do have good DEX and decent STR. Like the tarutaru, Mithra will also be alble to gain TP at a consistant rate.

Galka: This is the other class I would prefer to use as MNK. If you are Galka, you will have the best HP. MND and DEX are a bit average, but you will have Excellent VIT and STR to make up for it. Remember that with high VIT, your HP will not decrease as quickly.

Monk --> Subjob
NOTE: any jobs not listed was (for certain reasons) not worth writing.

Warrior: This is probably MNK's Best chosen sub for most of the game. Players will gain the Warrior skills Provoke, Berserk, Warcry, and Defender with this job subbed. Provoke can come in handy when other players in the party are either in danger of attacks or about to die. However, this does not make MNK automatically a good tank. With the high amount of damage a MNK/WAR will output later in the game can put you in danger by taking hate away from the party's tank. In some situations, other subjobs may become necessary to change to.

Ninja: This job can be subbed when the player becomes too much of a threat to enemies to the point that the tank cannot hold hate. Subbing Ninja provides Monk's little to no abilities or stat boosts.

Thief: Subbing THF with MNK is mostly an alternative to subbing NIN. THF will give MNKs the passive abilities of Treasure Finder and Gilfinder. Higher levels will also supply the player with Sneak Attack and trick Attack.

Dancer: This subjob combo is mostly used for soloing. Can be useful at level 60+. At 60, the player will be able to use Curing Waltz II. Because MNK already has high VIT, using this spell will almost always heal to max. This sub combo can be effective with the advantage of accuracy boost, provided by the Dancer. At level 70, players will gain the ability to use Drain Samba II. This ability will allow MNKs to absorb HP from their enemies.

Monk's Two-Hour
Hundred Fists is said to be the best damage-dealing two-hour in the entire game, and that is totally without question. A constant stream of attacks without any delay in them aside from the animation delay, means a sickening amount of damage (and a sickening amount of enmity). I personally use this job ability at the end of a soloing session every time to kill at least two difficult monsters and chain their experience points together before logging out for the night. In parties, it can easily save the entire party in more than one way. For one possible way, you can just overpower the target monster and finish it off before it has a chance to wipe your party; this is especially useful with a Paladin that just used Invincible or a Thief that just used Accomplice and Perfect Dodge. However, if that isn’t the case, it can also help by directing all attention at you, since you’ll just be kicking the monster’s face inside-out with your weapon skills every ten seconds. This leaves the party’s mages one single target. And with Dodge and Defender on, it can easily save you, and your party’s lives.

Other Job Abilities

Boost: level 5; Boosts next attack by 12.5%
Duration- 3 minutes
Recharge- 15 seconds

Dodge: level 15; Increases Evasion by 20
Duration- 2 minutes
Recharge- 5 minutes

Focus: level 25; Increases Accuracy by 20
Duration- 2 minutes
Recharge- 5 minutes

Chakra: level 35; Heals the player for twice his Vitality

Chi Blast: level 41; Short range attack effected by MND stat
Cooldowsn- 3 minutes

Counterstance: level 45; Removes armor defense but increases chances of countering attacks
Recharge/Duration- 5 minutes

Footwork: level 65; Kick Attack that Increases Damage and TP
Duration/Recharge- 5 minutes

Mantra: Gives party 4% health boost (20% with full merit)
Duration- 3 minutes
Recharge- 10 minutes

Formless Strike: Converts elemental damage to physical damage
Duration- 3 minutes
Recharge- 10 minutes

Job Traits

Martial Arts: level 1; lowers h-2-h attack delays but reduces TP per hit

Subtle Blow: level 5; Reduces TP an enemy gains in combat

Counter: level 10; can prevent an enemy from attacking and counters an enemies attack

Max HP Boost: Boosts MNKs HP by +30 at both lvl 15 and 45; and +60 at both lvl 55 and 70. In total, that 180 extra HP.

Kick Attacks I: level 51
Kick Attacks II: level 71; adds a third attack to h2h attacks 10% of the time

Invigorate: level 75 (merit group 2); adds a Regen effect to Chakra, further inceasing HP gained

Penance: level 75 (merit group 2); adds effectto Chi Blast that lowers the target's TP gained by 25%

Additional Notes:

The next two paragraphs are copied directly from wiki.ffxiclopedia.org (see bottom)

Weapons:
Monks have one primary weapon that they use in nearly every single scenario you’ll ever see them in. As fist-fighters, it’s not hard to believe they use hand-to-hand knuckles, cesti, katars, and patas. Hand-to-hand composes the most-used blunt weapons in the game, even though a lot of them look sharp. Blunt weapons have a lot of monsters with resistances, but they also deal a ton more damage on monsters like skeletons, who have a very terrible resistance to all blunt weapons. This gets Monks into a lot of “bones parties”, which basically means they fight nothing but skeletons or other blunt-weak monsters. Hand-to-hand is different from other weapons because they don’t have a set damage or delay. They simply add to the damage and delay of your natural bare hands. This means that as you level up, you get a much more noticeable delay reduction to other weapons, since the job trait “Martial Arts” reduces delay every number of levels. It also makes calculating damage per second very, very difficult, so it’s hard to compare weapons. Hand-to-hand also gets some of the most amazing weapon skills in the game. Since multi-hit weapon skills generally tend to be the higher damaging ones, their first weapon skill is one of the best of its level. At a very early level, 41, Monks also get Raging Fists, another of the best weapon skills in the game until 70, when Asuran Fists is your trump card. However, Monks also have a decent skill level in staves/poles, which means they can deal fair damage with long sticks, but that’s not really very useful until the end-game Primate Staff and Kirin's Pole for end-game use.

Armor:
Monks don’t get anything very high-defense, so tanking is ruled-out. They seem to only get cloth gear like far-eastern wear, cloaks, robes, and harnesses. This isn’t all bad, however, since far-eastern wear can be very powerful at times, namely with Jujitsu Gi, and Federation Kyahan. At Lv.25, Monks get access to Bastokan or Republic Subligar. You will end-up using that until 60 guaranteed. No other piece of equipment (including AF) gives stats as useful as +5 Attack and a boost to vitality. Unfortunately, it means male characters have to show off their legs, which can be disturbing at times. In fact, your artifact armor isn’t useful for anything other than macroing in for the use of certain job abilities. There is, however one other piece of equipment better than the Republic Subligar: the Strike Subligar at Lv.60. Get them if you can afford them.

Information is written from both previous expiriece and by researching information from:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Please know that since most of this was not copy and paste to this submission, it did take a while. I know there maybe mistypes all over the place (I did go back and fix a few of the noticable ones)

Last edited by frezin on February 22nd, 2009, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 8:28 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Nice guide there.

Can members say yay or nay to this so we may give tu bucks and/or premium. If you nay the submission remember to include as to why.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 10:16 am

frezin

So I'm guessing i shouldn't post these type of guides then. None of the views seem to have found it very useful.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 10:50 am

w1z8it

Total Posts: 36
w1z8it's Reps: 3
frezin (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
So I'm guessing i shouldn't post these type of guides then. None of the views seem to have found it very useful.

Nothing you posted here is new, it's all been done before, Allakhazam, FFXIclopedia, that's the problem with guides, the game has been around what 7 years? It's all been done out the !@#$%^&*.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 11:25 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
I dont think your guide is bad at all frezin. The problem is the majority of players here are already max level and know most of the guides on new players. What most players are after are new tricks, cheats, or guides for later level content stuff. Make dungeon guides ect ect and you are sure to get premium. Also pictures help ALOT.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 12:53 pm

frezin

ok, ill work more to help the experienced players then. The next one might take w little while to come up with

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 1:09 pm

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
No worries. We dont want to make it a joke to get premium here with submissions. But if you are dedicated to the site and continue posting you will be sure to get premium here and enjoy all the other perks members do.

Posted: October 15th, 2009, 12:49 am

mc1987

Total Posts: 20
mc1987's Reps: 1
nay, old

Posted: October 17th, 2009, 7:34 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online