Guide to fishing in FFXI : FFXI Submissions

Posted: July 22nd, 2004, 8:16 am

Tault_Tault Community

Total Posts: 10213
Tault_Tault Community's Reps: 16
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
*Guide to raise Fishing skill (and making a profit)*

*I tried to make this guide as safe as possible, meaning less broken rods, etc. There may be other places with better bite rates, or gil per catch, but you may be spending more on lost lures or broken rods. Do not expect to get your fishing skill to 47+ in a small amount of time. It takes patience and dedication to reach that high in your fishing skill.

0-11
Port San d'Oria, Windurst Waters, Bastok Markets (bridge)
Mithran Rod/Insect Paste
In these aeras you will catch Moat Carp. Turn them in for the LuShangs quest (100gil per fish) or sell them on AH for about 3.5k/stack.
0-19:
Port windurst, Mhaura, Selbina, Port Bastok
Mithran rod/Sabiki Rig
In these areas, you will catch Cobalt Jellyfish, Pamtam Kelp, Bastore Sardines, Quus, Yellow Globes, and rusty items.
You'll skill relatively quickly from 0-11 here. After 11, it still gains, but slowly.
10-14:
Selbina
Mithran rod/Minnow
Here, you will catch Greedie, and Fat Greedie. The Fat Greedie can be used for a quest in selbina.
14-17:
Mhaura
Mithran rod/Worm Lure
Here, your main target will be Yellow globes. The worm lure will focus on this particular fish, and you'll gain skill a little faster than mentioned above with sabiki rig. Gains will still be slow (you ARE fishing) :)
15-27
Port Sand`Oria, North Sand`Oria, Windurst Waters, Bastok Markets (bridge)
Mithran Rod/Shrimp Lure
In these aeras you will catch Tricolord Carp and Gold Carp. Sell these directly to NPC. Tricolored will sell for about 120, and gold for over 400.. At 15, the gains will be slow, but the gil should be decent. You still won't be making huge money yet. Stick with it!
27-47
Bastok Markets(Storage of water), Zeruhn Mines(bridge)
Mithran Rod/Worm Lure
In these areas you will catch Dark Bass, and Black eels. The Dark bass will give good skill gains, but only sell for about 40gil to NPC. They'll give gains till level 33. Black eels are what you are *really* after. They'll sell for 300g each to NPC, and will cap you at 47 fishing! At the early stages of this section, gil and gains will be slow. By the latter skill, both should be coming in at a respectable pace.
40-53
Buburimu Peninsula (beach)
Mithran Rod/Rogue Rig
Warning! (It has been pointed out to me that this portion is not 100% safe as there is the chance of catching Bluetail, which can break the mithran rod.) In this area, you're primary focus will be on shall shells. I don't recall the price, but I think they sold for about 600g per to NPC, or if you AH them, about 10k per stack. the rogue rig is quite expensive, but 2 stacks of shells on AH will earn it back. HOWEVER, any lure will work here for shall shells. Just not as effectively as rogue rig. The setup I described should have you making about 10-20k per hour depending on moon. If you use any other lure, expect it to cut into your profit potential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes:
*Fish to build up your Skill, the gil will come in higher quantities as you go.
*Try not to chat too much, it wastes time casting. You do not have to answer /tells about using a bot, let them call a GM to sort it out, and comply with the GM’s orders; they won’t bother you again.
*Always use lures if possible. Cheaper, and if you fish smart,
you'll only need 1.
*Clear out inventory space as much as you can, and maybe try some <Gobbiebag Quests> in Jeuno.
*Sell the fish to NPC's. The AH doesn't usually move fast
enough to sell the item as fast as you catch them with this guide.

Gear:
Try not to be cheap. If you can't afford all items,
farm some more gil first. This really increases the speed of
skill gain/bites per hour.
1. Mithran rod
2. Sabiki rig
3. Fisherman’s Tunic
4. Fisherman’s boots
5. Fisherman’s leggings
6. Fisherman’s gloves

<Gobbiebag Quests>
I decided to make a guide to the Gobbiebag quests, since I recommended them in this guide. They are completely optional, and would just decrease traveling time from fishing areas to Buying NPC’s. There are a total of 4 Quests, all started in Lower Jeuno by the NPC Bluffnix (area H-9). Each quest is very costly, and the price grows with each quest. They all give 5 extra Inventory slots.

Gobbiebag Part I
The first time you consult Bluffnix, he needs 1 Dhalmel Leather, 1 Linen Cloth, 1 Peridot, and 1 Steel Ingot. This gives you the ability to carry 35 items in your Inventory.

Gobbiebag Part II
Next, he needs 1 Mythril Ingot, 1 Ram Leather, 1 Turquoise, and 1 Wool Cloth. Now, you can carry up to 40 items in your Inventory.

Gobbiebag Part III
For the 3rd quest, he needs 1 Gold Ingot, 1 Painite, 1 Tiger Leather, and 1 Velvet Cloth. Now, you can carry up to 45 items in your Inventory

The Gobbiebag Part IV
Finally, he just needs 5 more items. 1 Cermet Chunk, 1 Dark Steel Ingot, 1 Silk Cloth, and 1 Goshenite. Now, you can carry up to 50 items in your Inventory, and Bluffnix acknowledges that you have a bag as big and nice as his.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online