On building a new character... : FFXI Submissions

Posted: July 4th, 2004, 3:06 am

Tault_Tault Community

Total Posts: 10213
Tault_Tault Community's Reps: 16
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Hello!

FFXI is a wonderful and well-built game. The world is equally realistic and surrealistic as many Final Fantasy elements are introduced to the online gaming experience of Vana'diel. One of the more frustrating elements of the game, however, is starting out. This guide is to help you build a decent character, up to level 10, within the first 8 hours of gameplay.

1.) Choosing a character.

If you are in fact a baginner, then I recommend choosing a character that is best suited for the job you wish to utilize. When you consider the various occupations, consider the strengths and weaknesses of the races associated with the game. Here is a breakdown of the races of Vana'diel:

-> Hume. (Male/Female)

Humes are the equivalent to humans. They are well-balanced and easy to use with any occupation. If you plan on building several occupations, then I advise you to choose this race.

-> Elvaan. (Male/Female)

The Elvaan are a tall and slender people who are especially proficient warriors. The Elvaan are a good choice for combat-oriented occupations where the player will use proficiency in weapon skill rather than defensive measures and endurance.

-> Tarutaru. (Male/Female)

Tarutaru look like small midgets. Now, I'm not bashing on my little buddies, but midgets don't make the most capable warriors. This fact is true with Tarutaru. Use magic-oriented occupations with this race.

-> Mithra. (Female)

The typical female-feline race of many RPGs. Mithra are extremely agile and are well-suited for occupations involving stealth and speed (i.e., thieves).

-> Galka. (Unknown/Typically Male)

The Galka are a large and hardy race, characterized by their quite ample constitutions. They are a good choice for occupations relating to combat and defense.

Now that we have covered the races briefly, we will consider jobs. The jobs avaliable to new characters:

-> Warrior. (WAR)

Warriors are masters of melee combat. They wear heavy armors and wield strong and forceful weapons. They are the best option for dealing damage in close combat as well as taking it.

-> Monk. (MNK)

Monks are masters of martial arts and hand-to-hand combat. They use fast and agile attacks rather than slow, powerful ones to deal damage to their enemies. One of the easier occupations to level.

-> Black Mage. (BLK)

Black Mages use destructives magics to overcome their enemies. Though they deal good damage at a distance, they have a smaller threshold for damage than others.

-> White Mage. (WHM)

White mages deal with restorative magic. Often finds popularity with others due to their ability to heal. One disadvantage is physical weakness and low defensive capabilities.

-> Red Mage. (RDM)

Red mages are balanced characters. Though they possess many talents, they don't excel in any one of them. Red mages are good for versatile positions, and can assume multiple roles, though not as efficiently as a person who is specialized in the role.

-> Thief. (THF)

Thieves specialize in fast, agile combat. They are geared for stealing items rather than killing enemies. A good choice for agile melee combat, but not for taking damage.

Other occupations will become avaliable later in the game. We won't discuss these occupations.

Now, After you have chosen your character, you must choose a nation to swear alliegence to. I recommend choosing Bastok for newer characters (though it is wise to choose the nation designed for your race). The Hume and Galka typically reside in Bastok, the Evlaan in San d'Oria, and the Tarutaru and Mithra in Windurst.

Now, you will begin the game. I recommend choosing Bastok. I cannot help if you choose another nation.

If you chose Bastok, you will begin the game somewhere in the city. You will receive an Adventurer's Ticket. There can be turnad in for 50 gil; you will be give the location to redeem your prize. Equip your gear, and find the nearest exit. Talk to one of the guards, and have him cast Signet on you. This enables you to find crystals, which you can sell for a good price.

You start at level one. Exit the town and kill Huge Hornets and Tunnelers until you gain two levels. Remember to heal when you lose health.

When you are at level three, maintain this course of action. You may be able to kill Stone eaters at this point. remember to check enemies before you battle them.

This is how "Check" breaks down.

->"Too easy to be worthwile"- you will gain no experience. Battle will be very easy.
->"Easy prey."- This battle will be easy. You can gain anywhere from mid-teens to high 30's of experience.
->"Decent Challenge"- Will be of medium difficulty. Experience will range from 50 to 70's.
->"Even Match"- Only fight these at full strength. Even match means even match- it can go either way. 100 experience typically gained.
->"Tough"- Don't go there. This one is stronger than you. If, by miracle, or by help, you do manage to kill one of these, you will gain from 130-150 exp.
->"Very Tough"- You're dead meat. Only attack if you have people healing you, or if you're in a party. If you're alone, can give you a lot of experience- around 350.
->"Incredibly Tough"- You almost NEED to be in a party to kill this one. Lot of experience even in a party.

Once you attain level 4, find enemies such as stone eaters and bats. Look for decent challenges. You want to spend less time healing, so you can be safe even with easy prey. Just ignore anything even or above for now.

Level 5- find goblins and quadavs. Remember- look for decent challenges.

Level 6- Go up vomp hill and kill some enemies. Sheep and maneating hornets in the decent challenge range until level 8.

Level 8- Go SE to the furmatoles. Fight anything you can find that is decent or easy. Do this until level 10 to be safe.

When you are at level 10, you can begin partying in Valkurm dunes. If you spent little time healing, and gained exp. quickly, you should have leveled like I said you would have. Ask a white mage to help heal you on occasion, and you can take stronger enemies (powerleveling). Then you can accomplish this even sooner.

Good luck!

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online