taultunleashed logoAnyone going to try the F2P September 10 ? : LOTRO - Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 7 posts ] 
blue large dot

Anyone going to try the F2P September 10 ? : LOTRO - Discussions

Posted: August 20th, 2010, 7:05 am

hardsell

Total Posts: 703
hardsell's Reps: 1487
premium
Now that it is official that Lotro Free To Play (F2P) will launch on September !0, 2010, (September 8, 2010 for currently subscribed customers, or those returning)

I was curious if anyone was going to give it a try?

I think F2P is going to be really hard for someone who has never played Lotro before....

not that the game is difficult, after you learn the beginning areas layouts but because that many of the people treying F2P will NOT be playing Lotro for the first time.....

did I confuse you :) ?

OK, when F2P launches there will be a new area to explore Endwaith, and Classic Instances and F2P

if your chars are mostly 65 then you don't NEED Enedwaith or the Classic Instances, sure you'll explore them BUT the F2P is new and more of a challenge can YOU with all the restrictions imposed on a F2P player, level without spending any $ ?

Remember to earn Turbine Store Points you need to do deeds, you will have to do EVERY deed in all three starting areas to get enough points to unlock the Lone Lands

Here's where (IMO) it will get ugly there are a LOT of kill critter deeds, that barely have enough critters to support ONE person doing them, what will happen if there hundreds of people all on at the same time limited to the same set of deeds trying to kill these critters???

Sure you'll be forced to group, as a new player that's good, but older veterans might not be in the mood to play tour guide so will try and solo everything

I think the F2P will earn Lotro money, but not a significant amount from new players (if you are planing to pay, get the digital plan with all 3 expansions, after free month pay one month to become a premium member) but the guys with 6 or more characters in the 50-65 range who want to BUY the deeds, or stats or the potions/food that are better than the crafted ones or the revive book that will really help solo-ers and raiders......

check out http://lotro.mmorsel.com/# for more info on F2P.....

Posted: August 20th, 2010, 10:05 pm

mannymann

Total Posts: 119
mannymann's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I have VIP right now and am going to stick with it.

To compensate for the higher number of people Turbine in NA is opening two new servers.

I started on beta before they allowed character copy. There were TONS of people in the starter areas but still plenty of mobs to kill for two reasons:

1. Dynamic Layering
and
2.They have significantly reduced the respawn time of all of the mobs in the game.

Posted: August 21st, 2010, 3:51 am

hardsell

premium
Yeah, I was in beta also and had two keys but as usual there was a turbine problem and I had to use both keys just to get my current guys in itr, so couldn't create a new account to play the game as a new f2p person....

I thought dynamic layering was only for those in groups?

In Lotro you need to be in a group, and you can only seem to switch to the leader's layer. from: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=350672&page=2

and yeah the increase in spawn rates is good and bad, for slow killers like minstrels or captains the quicker respawns will be hard to clear a campfire, or area and move on, but the reduced argo range might help balance that

Posted: August 21st, 2010, 7:05 am

mannymann

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Actually, you can only switch layers if grouped. If you are not grouped, you are stuck in your current layer. The turbine servers automagically start layering when the population in a certain area reaches a certain size. This is to prevent things like heavy competition for the same mobs.

Also, please link to a specific post, because I have my number of topics per page set to 100 on the lotro forums and that means there is no page 2 for that topic :D

Posted: August 21st, 2010, 7:10 am

hardsell

premium
umm you put the url in go to bar and eliminate the excess if your set up can't handle it

Posted: August 21st, 2010, 10:38 pm

mannymann

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I get to dig through 40+ posts. woot.

http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4905157&postcount=15
says that layering is automagical based on server metrics.

http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4905593&postcount=28
says that layering is automatic based on server metrics (basically the same as above)

neither of these indicate that you must be a in fellowship to use layering. If the population in a certain area gets to big, layering kicks in for the new people entering the zone.
Unless I missed something from the blue posts in that thread.

Posted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:45 pm

hardsell

premium
think there is a semantics confusion here, dynamic layers will affect those in groups

it will (theoretically) kick in when a town or landscape is too full

you as a player in a town or landscape won't notice it UNLESS you are in a group and you lose group members who are not in your layer

then you use the option to go to group leaders layer

there was a very primitive form of this in MoM when you did the quests to get your "legendary" weapon at the walls of moria

if you had done that quest arc to completion you could not help anyone else who hadn't don't those quests, you could be in the zone but you couldn't see each other..........

I never had the dynamic layer indicator come up when I investigated enedwaith but I play graveyard shift hours and mostly meet insomniacs or Australians

the sad thing though, is that we are the only posters to this thread, no one else has expressed any interest in trying the f2p

but I've already formed my conclusions that the money will come from long time players rather than those just giving lotro a try........

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online