taultunleashed logoLOTRO REVIEW : LOTRO - Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 3 posts ] 
blue large dot

LOTRO REVIEW : LOTRO - Discussions

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 5:44 pm

kugoowo
kugoowo's Reps:
The circle is now complete. With Turbine's release of Lord of the Rings Online: The Shadows of Angmar (LOTRO), the Massively Mutliplayer game figuratively eats the tail of its originator in ouroboros-like fashion. Tolkien's work begat Dungeons and Dragons, the PC gaming market, CRPGs, and finally Massive games, and last month's release of LOTRO beautifully reconnects the future with the past. Replacing dice-wielding friends around a table has even, wonder of wonders, been done well. Polished gameplay and cutting-edge graphics abound; In direct contrast to the lackluster response to Turbine's other MMOG, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online has had an overwhelmingly positive reaction from fans. Read on for my notes from the experience of trying on Hobbit feet for a month, and a few words about why LOTRO's quality is notable and highly encouraging.
• Title: Lord of the Rings Online: The Shadows of Angmar
• Publisher: Midway
• Developer: Turbine Inc.
• System: PC
• Genre: Massively Multiplayer Online Game
• Score: 4/5 - This game is above average, and excels in the genre it supports. A classic for the genre, likely to be a part of a genre fan's collection, and well worth a look for every gamer.
It may seem derogatory to open a review by comparison to another game, but in this case the comparison is a positive one; it's worth saying up front: Lord of the Rings Online stacks up very well compared to the king of the genre, World of Warcraft (WoW). When WoW dropped on an unsuspecting PC market a little over two years ago, it changed the Massively Multiplayer industry forever. As a result, WoW has been an incredibly hard act to follow.

It's telling, and more than a little disconcerting, to note that every Massively Multiplayer game launched since WoW has had a very hard time garnering attention from traditional Massive gamers. Some expansions have worked out well, of course, and Guild Wars has succeeded by dodging the barrier of a monthly fee completely. New AAA MMOGs, though, have been grimly received. Some of the biggest games launched since WoW include: The Matrix Online, ArchLord, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Auto Assault, and Vanguard. Though each of these titles offers some interesting gameplay elements, none of them have managed to capture even a noticeable percentage of the WoW-playing audience.
to be continued
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))[/img]

Posted: June 9th, 2007, 2:02 am

kim2222
kim2222's Reps:
Quote>>>>none of them have managed to capture even a noticeable percentage of the WoW-playing audience.

and for me theres a good reason for that,i have tried most of the games you have mentioned and always found myself going back to wow,the other games are just not as good (my personel veiw) or fun or have the amount of content to keep me playing.sure wow has its good and bad points but i think 9 million customers also think there isnt a better alternative at the moment.its graphics are looking a bit dated now,but graphics are not only thing that makes a game enjoyable to play.

im not a wow fanboy i just have not found another MMO which can keep my attention long enough to woo me away from it.

Posted: June 9th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
I think the problem is just wow beat LOTRO first. In time LOTRO might build up to a far larger fan base. Keep in mind WOW didnt take off over night took them a few months before wow exploded so many LOTRO will do the same.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online