taultunleashed logoPacket(s) : LOTRO - Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 8 posts ] 
blue large dot

Packet(s) : LOTRO - Discussions

Posted: March 28th, 2007, 6:51 pm

ironsaw
ironsaw's Reps:
ok, i am sure most people out there know about packets, well, heres the good news, anyone who has any programs that send packets (think WoW for ideas) those kinds of programs will be able to trick any game out there, its true, although for this one, like in Gunz, you may need a trainer* to use the packet sender.

-packet senders are very fun to use, so possabilities are endless, also..very hard..in SOME cases..
-Trainer(s) is a program that tricks game interfaces (or clientside protections...the like) think of WoW's Gameguard, the program you use to get around that...thats preety much how most trainers work, some may even have a packet program with it..again..hard to use...but o so worth it

Any questions, ima more than happy to answer.

Posted: March 28th, 2007, 7:55 pm

wickermanz
wickermanz's Reps:
If the creaters of LOTRO are any smart at all i think ther sent and recieved packtes will be encrypted so hardcore but maybe some day someone may find a way to decrypt these things.. so thats what im waiting for anyways.

Posted: May 1st, 2007, 10:54 am

speljohan
speljohan's Reps:
meh, if someone removes encryption from the client, i can easily write a base server for it.

Posted: May 1st, 2007, 12:45 pm

tault_razorwing

Total Posts: 196
tault_razorwing's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
speljohan you should use IDA Pro 5, it will decompile the whole client into almost code like form. I had a quick peak, it seems a few things are taken out of the client, for example all the -commands. I was hunting for command lines so i can bypass the launcher as it always has some problem or another with the data center connection, the only one i could find was -debug, the rest of the commands are either well hidden or removed completly.

UPDATE:
From past experience, most servers tend to use HTTPS in order to setup encryption, most of the time you can simply bypass this why decompiling the client and editting HTTPS address to HTTP so all communications are non-encrypted. Not sure if LOTRO uses a different method or not.

Posted: May 1st, 2007, 7:53 pm

speljohan
speljohan's Reps:
yes, IDA Pro is a nice Disassembler, however i'm not the best person to use one. I can do simple cracking, that's about it. If someone removed the encryption, i would open up a website with forums immediately to start developing :)

Posted: May 10th, 2007, 11:35 pm

dididothat
dididothat's Reps:
It uses UDP and with apparently some kind of synchronization system (to handle the async nature of UDP).

I found at least part of the packet encryption.
I can see my unicode chat messages in it so I'm pretty sure it's
the one and only en/decryptor.

It's really tough to follow through, there are around six different paths through it. Most MORPG are pretty simple. Usually one central place where packets are queued, and another where received packets are handled. It's not so simple here (IMHO, that I have found anyhow).

Turbine clients are very OOP, where it seems anything that can be OOP'ed, then it is.
Although got to hand it to them how smooth the game is in a lot of points. Like note how they cleanly they handle threads, and how things are synchronized. You can for instance minimize or close the game window in the middle of loading. Most games you can't do this, it's a deadlock until most things are loaded..

It will take a lot of RE work (IMHO in comparison to most MORPG) to figure out how the packet/network system works..

Posted: May 11th, 2007, 4:20 am

x000013

Total Posts: 103
x000013's Reps: 0
Tault Volunteer Staff
From my understanding lotro sync is handled by the server, as for vanguard, I know some devs who say the security on its packets is pretty poor.

Posted: May 12th, 2007, 2:28 pm

dididothat
dididothat's Reps:
FYI, my info is based on actual reverse engineering, not conjecture.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online