newtopic  postreply
 [ 16 posts ]  1, 2  Next
blue large dot

To buy or not to buy ? : LOTRO - Submissions

Posted: May 1st, 2009, 11:57 pm

joeblockley

Total Posts: 2
joeblockley's Reps: 0
Im not sure if i want to buy the game, but the free trail is not working so if anybody knows an activation code, please could you post it or send it to me because im not sure if i will like the game or not,
thank you :lol:

Posted: May 2nd, 2009, 12:13 am

joeblockley

joeblockley's Reps: 0
also i would like your opionons on the game :)

Posted: May 2nd, 2009, 4:44 am

hardsell

Total Posts: 703
hardsell's Reps: 1487
premium
Like most mmopgs coming into it after it has been running for 2 years (not counting the betas, some might have been on almost 3 years) unless you come in with a friend about the only folks you will see at low levels are alts or storage unit mules, it might be hard to get some help (mmodb and mehq will become close friends) as most alts are rushing thru but if you are a friendly sort you might get into a kin that doesn't begrudge helping new guys and will at least hook you up with crafted gear jewelry and weaps if they cant spend the time from their daily item exp, radiance gear, crafting instance or rep runs

the game itself is OK if you like the books the movies were not always accurate in their interpretation of the lore

if you want pvp do not bother, the current set up is a joke (pretty much a joke for 2 years)

the game has taken a major twist in Nov of 2008 with the mines of moria paid expansion and that was the introduction of legendary items

in the first 2 years a boss mob was known to drop item a you had to kill him until it dropped and bingo there was your uber item

now the drops have randomly generated attributes which determine if the weapon is any good or not, which is causing a major grind for higher levels (have to be at least 51 to equip the dropped legendary item, there is a fixed item at level 45/46 for everyone but cant equip any other dropped legendary till 51) oh currently there are 60 levels... with another level increase coming in 2009 the turbine devs say (another reason help will be scarce then)

it took one friend 5 months playing every night to get a legendary with 2 skill boosting attributes he used (he was lucky many only have found one attribute they like)

so the huge pita is at high levels the game is all luck you live and die by their random number generator

if you want to visit bag end and see rivendell (go to main forums and try and hook up a founder's referral to pay only 9.99 a month if you do some searching could prob find the game for about that too) you might enjoy the game

i used to rate the game a 7 out of 10 (with morrowind an example of a 10/10 game) now its about 4-5 out of 10

Posted: May 14th, 2009, 4:08 pm

eqdude

Total Posts: 49
eqdude's Reps: 5
premium
joeblockley (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
also i would like your opionons on the game :)

The game is great!

The graphics are much better than most other online games.

The game interaction is very similar to the most popular MMORPG games of the last 10 years, so it's easy to get into the game and start playing.

It has a real story line that was written by a master story teller, J. R. R. Tolkien.

Contrary to what the naysayer said above, there are plenty of people in the starting areas. However, you don't need help at the low levels because the first seven levels are easily soloable even by newbs.

The crafting in this game is actually worth something. The craftable items are as good or better than the drops until you get into legendary items.

Contrary to the naysayer above, I have had no problem with finding excellent legendary items. The problem comes in when people don't take the time to learn how to purchase them from the vendor in Moria and skill them up.

There are very few children and teenagers playing LotRO, as compared to World of Warcraft. My experiences with other players in LotRO has been respectful.

Groups can be found easily if you play at peak times for your server. There are so many group quests in the game and the population is high enough on most servers that other players are usually needing the same quests.

There is a quest guide and a quest pointer on the minimap to help players navigate through the game. A player can solo to level 60 if he doesn't care about doing the epic line of quests, but I would not recommend it.

I quit playing EQ to play World of Warcraft. I sold my 2 EQ accounts for $350 each at playerauctions.com. I have 4 WoW accounts with at least one level 80 on each account. I was the guild leader of a 300+ member guild. I quit all of that in January 2009 to play LotRO. My WoW accounts are paid up through July 2009, but I choose to play LotRO. My opinion is obvious.

Posted: May 15th, 2009, 12:22 am

hardsell

premium
Before you buy do a free trial

http://www.lotro.com/trial/

and of course your game play will depend in part on which server you choose, mine is so dead it has been advertised as the place to start for over 3 weeks now, (presumably because of its low population) but to help a friend I rerolled a new char on Brandywine and it has a large new population (you can tell by the questions asked in chat) so you might try there it is the largest us server and has the server instability to prove it:)

your best source for info is the dev tracker at the main forums, scroll through there and check out posts concerning specific servers, and their downtime

I have played lotro for over 30 months, so that says a little if I liked it I just disagree with the heading of the game

Posted: August 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm

foyer

Total Posts: 36
foyer's Reps: 0
buy it

Posted: October 15th, 2009, 5:55 am

ausman363

Total Posts: 70
ausman363's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
This game is amazing i love it so much

Posted: October 15th, 2009, 10:03 am

hardsell

premium
if you are wanting to get in before mirwood starts dec 1

you can get shadows of angmar new for 1.88

CE or reg mines of moria new for 9.99

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Shadows-Angmar-Pc/dp/B000GR9P76

check the forums -> http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=293911

to read how to get mirkwood free with the purchase of a multi month subscription and about the separate adventurers pack

Posted: October 22nd, 2009, 4:28 am

ikiv

ikiv's Reps: 0
Played quite a few games now, and i must admit lotro has quite good graphics, nice mission lines, traits are nice for grinding lovers, and mostly the community usually is friendly, so go for the trial and have fun :)

Posted: October 24th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
If you like wow youll like lotro. Lotro is like wow but more orientated towards role playing id say.

Posted: October 26th, 2009, 3:21 pm

ragadan

ragadan's Reps: 0
The only way test it on with a 7 day free trail version!!!
then you know it sure!!

Posted: November 1st, 2009, 6:06 pm

lotroexpert

Total Posts: 14
lotroexpert's Reps: 0
WoW is the lower graphical and more popular then LOTRO but lotro is a young game has a bright future if you buy it hope to see you in-game

Posted: December 10th, 2009, 7:09 am

ausman363

Total Posts: 70
ausman363's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
lotro i think is more life like and much more expansive and now with mirkwood out it just keeps getting bigger and bigger

Posted: December 10th, 2009, 9:39 am

hardsell

premium
yeah but they subtley introduced micro transactions into the game with the adventurers pack

mirkwood is smaller than any free expansion ever given

turbine has savagely ruined their game (as they are known to do, they fiddle with a working game model to ruination) with Moria which every friend and player I met has despised

they ruined their game with a total lottery system of legendaries and legacies which most players conviently forget that turbine removed all line bonuses with the class traits and the onl;y thing that let players get back to where they were 5-10 levels ago was getting legacies I finally at 63 got ahead of whee I was stat wise (power and morale) unbuffed at 50

I and every person I know who still play (all lifers and half of them are unemployed or recently _under_ employed so they simply cannot afford to play else where.. hence most of my "info sites" are for free games, not the ones I just did to cover every game listed here)

having just released overseas turbines world wide numbers are growing but their NA servers are really dwindling....one week agter SoM release and the land rush is over....

I am accused of being a nay sayer, I prefer to say I speak the truth as I see it:) but I did just level my main to 65, have two other 60's on the way, have 6 other chars 51-53 every class, have crafted to the highest level and guild available, so still play but mostly cannot afford half a weeks food allowance $14.99 a month to play another newer game...

Posted: December 13th, 2009, 2:57 am

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Turbine has done that alot which bugs me. They had one of the best games ever. Asherons Call. It was amazing. Then they decided to release asherons call 2. Everyone was excited since it was going to be an updated version with new graphics ect ect.

Instead of doing that they released a totally different game and just threw asherosn call 2 on it. Well everyone left ac1 for ac2 but ac2 sucks so they went for daoc. Then ac1 pretty much died. If they where smart they would make it free and make money on microtransactions as its still a great game.

All in all its sad that they dont really listen to the players. Thats why alot of bigger games do great is because they take the players into account instead of what they want.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online