newtopic  postreply
 [ 4 posts ] 
blue large dot

LOTROExtreme detectability? : LOTROExtreme

Posted: September 8th, 2007, 2:27 am

lloesche
lloesche's Reps:
Hi,

I was wondering if LOTROExtreme uses any stealth mechanisms to hide itself from the Lotro Client or if it's basically detectable.

I'm asking because yesterday I had a strange thing going on. I was running the radar for a couple of hours. All the sudden it didn't show anything anymore. I.e. no mobs/npcs, etc. Only the thing in the middle that marks my own position was there.

In my psychopathic 'they are everywhere' world I immediately thought 'damn, some anti debugging/anti exploiting offset changing mechanism thing is in effect'.

On the other hand, looking at some of the programatic bugs within lotro, like missing boundary checking (e.g. since book 10, logging out and back in in Helegrod, or any other Instance that would give you an ID, resets the ID timer to 0d0h0m, after 5min it's 0d0h-5m - makes you wonder if you could pay -500g for sth. if the only format checking thing would be the gui client :-)) or their redundant ressource string management (e.g. scroll names vs. their crafted item names) I really doubt that Turbine has anything like that going on.

Anyway, has any of you experienced sth. similar or got an non-psychopathic explanation for what was happening there? ;-)

Posted: September 8th, 2007, 2:55 am

gthomas1
gthomas1's Reps:
Just for my own curiosity sakes, I'd be very interested in hearing about some of the basics Turbine uses for protection as well, if there are any at all. It will probably determine how safe I feel running this or anything else.

I have no doubt the problem listed above probably has something to do with accidently pressing the N key (toggle names), or maybe just a random memory overflow though.

Posted: September 8th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Basically dont use it more than 8 hours a day and you should be fine.

Posted: September 8th, 2007, 3:16 pm

wyvernx

Total Posts: 6718
wyvernx's Reps: 21
administrator
premium
lloesche, there is a small bug in the find player (internal) function in lotro that I'm still tweaking.

The next version should be more stable.

Basically there can exist a condition that would make lotroe unable to find the player position. And since the radar is drawn from the player position relative to mobs, you see nothing on the radar.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online