taultunleashed logoWhy so few completed posted scripts/macos? : Star Wars Galaxies Discussions tu winter contest 2012 nintendo wii
newtopic  postreply
 [ 4 posts ] 
blue large dot

Why so few completed posted scripts/macos? : Star Wars Galaxies Discussions

Posted: April 3rd, 2009, 4:31 pm

phelan1777

Total Posts: 348
phelan1777's Reps: 9
premium
I can't begin to count how many macros/scripts I see posted that are claimed to work, then of course others post that they can't get them to work as advertised as yes I understand that some follow directions etc.

However a number of scripts/macros I have tried to use here I have issues with getting to work, a few I have had success, but most I do not. Besides a thread not having a really good description of how to set it up correctly or missing info/steps. Are steps left out intentionally, is there a line of thought to deliberately post none fully working information?

Or is there an unwritten/unspoken line of thinking that we are all to figured out what others post and work from there?

My understanding is that this supposed to be a community, as with many other forums. However I don't get the impression of others wanting to help others. More so then I do the impression of "Well this is what I have, it works for me, if you can't figure it out, to bad for you" type thinking.

Yes I understand there are those that don't want to do any work and just want what others have, and not look back. However there are some of us what want to learn, but @ the same time, if we don't know what to look for in how to set something up, and or a way to trouble shoot a script/macro is there any real help that could be found here?

There are a few posts/threads I have come across where someone has either laid things out A B C like. My general impression is that for the most part the posted information is hit or miss, though usually miss.

What I mean for those that were to lazy to read what I wrote above is information left out of posted information intentionally as to share, but not really "help" others?

Is there a minimum level of coding comprehension needed in order to understand the bits and pieces that others post?

It seems to me that a good portion of the information others share is just enough to hook someone into reading the thread, but not fleshed out so that a file could be down loaded and or copy and pasted (which yes most would do this) and then tweaked from there.

I see a lot of posts where others ask questions myself included and get no responses.

Are we that easily ignored? Or are there so few that view this site that could really answer a question?

As one can tell by my join date I have been here since 07, so I am not new to this site, just don't post that much.

Posted: April 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

cfdfireman749

Total Posts: 102
cfdfireman749's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Like you, I don't post often, simply because a lot of the time when I find something useful to post on this site, it's already been posted here.

Something that might explain why few people post anything here these days is actually a multi-angle answer:

1. The biggest problem and most common is when an exploit or "game mechanic" or third party program with the intention of helping fellow players make their game easier, it always attracts the people depend their entire enjoyment of the game on how easily they can get their hands on the almighty "I win" button for PVP and ruin it for the rest of us. IE: the storyteller weapon exploit. No further explanation there needed (I hope).

2. People are afraid to post anything real or viable due to the possibility that SOE has fully-paid premium accounts fishing for things to add to the stealth nerf list. Why they decided to make the basic grinding mind-numbingly boring then take away easy paths to cl90 is beyond me. What's more fun? Being forced to quest or grind for days or weeks on end to get to 90? Or rush to 90 using suggestions on this site in only a few hours then go do what you want with your friends in the game?
I remember when the game started nearly six years ago (for me, I wasn't in the beta), when the computer was just about finished installing the game, a phrase popped up that said something to the effect of "It is time to embark on the greatest saga ever told... yours." My apologies for going off-topic there, but it's something that's been bothering me more and more for the last few years in SWG.
The example for this one is the classic "hey has anyone heard how to do (this or that) exploit?" That account is typically a dev putting his hand in the cookie jar and hoping he won't get caught trying to ruin something for us.

3. Sometimes people are hesitant to post something they've found because they're afraid of being flamed on the off chance that any old joe has the inability to follow directions, or worse, they might forget to post a step, intentionally or otherwise, and be labeled for life as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Reasons someone might intentionally skip a step are discussed in #2 above.
They may hope that if they skip a step, it might be obvious enough to the player attempting to use it to figure it out, or it could be a way to try to draw out the SOE spies, who knows? There are a multitude of reasons why this situation could happen, it's pretty much a fill-in-the-blank question for anyone here to answer.
I don't have an example for this one, but it sounds like there are a fair amount of incomplete instructions posts on the site, so no one would have to look far for that.

I'm sure there are probably more reasons for the lack of useful posts and programs, but to my knowledge, these are most likely many more I haven't thought of. It's pretty late and trying to think of more reasons is just not gonna happen without some sleep.

Hope this helps. 8)

Posted: April 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm

phelan1777

Total Posts: 348
phelan1777's Reps: 9
premium
Your reasoning is logical and in that regard another site I am on, we are careful not to post our in game ID"s unless of course we are not worried about that account for the FPS games. We are aware that PB probably has eyes there and recently caught someone posting direct quotes from our private forum on a Clan forum.

So yes that makes sense.

Thanks for the response.

As for making the grinding as such, at least to me is a pretty obvious answer.

Time is money, the longer it takes, but not to long is time spent being payed for by us.

The same as although they won't work on fixing bugs/glitches that have been around for while (I used to play EQ2) so I am some what familiar with the server down times, bugs, crashes etc in which we lose out on play time. Basically unless something seriously hinders game play, its not worth fixing as they rather spend time and money on content to keep us playing.

Maybe if they allocated content focused on level ranges (more the just the Leg Quest) or limited PVP to a level range in that players could take more time to develop their toons @ lower levels. THere wouldn't be the necessity to rush to level 90 for instances and PVP.

Something that irks me is that a higher level toon and come along and kill a much lower level toon, just for spite if one feels like it.

Which in my mind is logical in fueling the "need" to level. Instead of having it so say a 5 level difference? PVP which to me would take away from the pressure to power level ASAP.

Granted there would still be those that want to push to 90. For those of us that want to explore the SWG universe and play the game. I am sure there are a number of those players out there.

/end babbling.

Posted: July 2nd, 2009, 1:34 am

mudkip

Total Posts: 15
mudkip's Reps: 1
cfdfireman749 (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
Like you, I don't post often, simply because a lot of the time when I find something useful to post on this site, it's already been posted here.

Something that might explain why few people post anything here these days is actually a multi-angle answer:

1. The biggest problem and most common is when an exploit or "game mechanic" or third party program with the intention of helping fellow players make their game easier, it always attracts the people depend their entire enjoyment of the game on how easily they can get their hands on the almighty "I win" button for PVP and ruin it for the rest of us. IE: the storyteller weapon exploit. No further explanation there needed (I hope).

2. People are afraid to post anything real or viable due to the possibility that SOE has fully-paid premium accounts fishing for things to add to the stealth nerf list. Why they decided to make the basic grinding mind-numbingly boring then take away easy paths to cl90 is beyond me. What's more fun? Being forced to quest or grind for days or weeks on end to get to 90? Or rush to 90 using suggestions on this site in only a few hours then go do what you want with your friends in the game?
I remember when the game started nearly six years ago (for me, I wasn't in the beta), when the computer was just about finished installing the game, a phrase popped up that said something to the effect of "It is time to embark on the greatest saga ever told... yours." My apologies for going off-topic there, but it's something that's been bothering me more and more for the last few years in SWG.
The example for this one is the classic "hey has anyone heard how to do (this or that) exploit?" That account is typically a dev putting his hand in the cookie jar and hoping he won't get caught trying to ruin something for us.

3. Sometimes people are hesitant to post something they've found because they're afraid of being flamed on the off chance that any old joe has the inability to follow directions, or worse, they might forget to post a step, intentionally or otherwise, and be labeled for life as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Reasons someone might intentionally skip a step are discussed in #2 above.
They may hope that if they skip a step, it might be obvious enough to the player attempting to use it to figure it out, or it could be a way to try to draw out the SOE spies, who knows? There are a multitude of reasons why this situation could happen, it's pretty much a fill-in-the-blank question for anyone here to answer.
I don't have an example for this one, but it sounds like there are a fair amount of incomplete instructions posts on the site, so no one would have to look far for that.

I'm sure there are probably more reasons for the lack of useful posts and programs, but to my knowledge, these are most likely many more I haven't thought of. It's pretty late and trying to think of more reasons is just not gonna happen without some sleep.

Hope this helps. 8)

Lol, I feel your pain, and it did help :). I just wish SOE could live with us exploiters *Sarcasm* ;D

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online