taultunleashed logoDarkfall Preorders Crashes Site Servers : DFO - General / Guide - Discussions - Page 2 tu winter contest 2012 nintendo wii
newtopic  postreply
 [ 31 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
blue large dot

Darkfall Preorders Crashes Site Servers : DFO - General / Guide - Discussions - Page 2

Posted: February 20th, 2009, 10:04 pm

elysium

Total Posts: 115
elysium's Reps: 0
Active User > 50 Posts
Preorders down for next few hours due to server maintainence.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 1:10 am

madzoko2

Total Posts: 258
madzoko2's Reps: 712
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
pls post when servers are back up :),i tried for so long yesterday

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 7:14 am

jjevans

Total Posts: 2
jjevans's Reps: 0
Darkfall is a total pile of junk....and anyone actually pre ordering is getting totally ripped off big time.

After UO there have been very few titles that have dared to try it's initial concepts again.

A few have tried to make a skill based MMORPG's, Wish was one title that the developers cancelled on it's doorstep..

Star Wars Galaxies and maybe AC1 had sort of a semi skill based system, and also free to roam worlds.

EvE, a space MMO in the same sense as Elite or Privateer, a sandbox world and a skill based system that grows skills offline.

And now Darkfall has arrived claimed by it's followers to be a successor to early days of Ultima..

I will give you my review...

Character creation..

A very basic character creation tool, with many basic features currently disabled, like skin tone etc..Basically you will look almost identical to the next characther.

Tutorial and start of the game :

You magically appear at 1 out of 3 newbie areas belonging to the race of your choice, with a sword that can't be looted or destroyed. There is now a tutorial window that pops up as you enter.. After that you can talk with a councelor that gives you a quest for goblins, these quests are the same for every race, they have just copied and pasted them to every starting area..

Graphics/sound/animations:

The worlds graphics aka the outdoor graphics does it's job rather good for an engine that seems to be outdated in almost every way possible. It does look good mostly because of the strong use of shadows but if you turn them off the beauty vanishes almost instantly IMO.
But as you combine the overall effects of bad animations and sound and very ugly avatar graphics you get a game that looks and feels very cheaply done.

Sound FX are borderline disturbing. You will literally have to tone down or turn off your volume otherwise you will end up with some very loud noise when a skill raises or you jump, all the time you will hear the ugly sound of mana missiles as players train that everywhere..there is no environmental audio to speak of and hardly any music..

First fight :

You head out in your underwear, yes underwear with your equipped blade, you will soon notice that some of the matching skills starts to "ding", like running, sprinting etc. When you strike your first blow at a goblin you will notice that melee is nothing else than you strike/goblin strike, you can also try to block the blow with a reactive block.

Bow fighting is rather nice in the game, it's a FPS mode/arc aiming archery so I suppose it's a bit different.

Then there's magic, needs a staff and later it will also need reagents, the problem i see with magic is that it basically needs macroing to get you anywhere, both in the way of obtaining reagents and also in the tedious training of the mage skills..

Alignment system

There are 3 modes in Darkfall, blue = Lawful, Grey = rogue and red = Criminal/murderer.
Each race has a couple of sworn enemies, wich let's you raise your status from red back to blue.

First PVP/Grief and meeting with some exploiter :

There is a greater chance in this game that your first PvP encounter will be another player that tries to fool you to become grey(rogue), this is done with ease in Darkfall, just jump in front of someone swinging his sword, and bang that person is now grey and you can kill him without penalty..

And in the event you became "grey" the towers of any city or outpost will kill you and then the player that fooled you will loot you dry.

And if you will come upon someone that is your enemy it's only a matter of who will drink the most potions of stamina and get the most hits on your most probably running like crazy in all directions enemy.

There are countless of other exploits rampaging this game, the fans of course claim that most of it works as intended. (ha)
I see no point in even trying to argue with these types of fans as they will most certainly not listen to anything, scared that their ability to cheat the innocent players will be removed from the game..

MOBS/Wildlife:

The game is almost empty of both NPC's and wildlife and has a very sparse Mob selection, you can run for a half hour without seeing as much as a single mob, this is done so the game runs smoothly (???), wich it seemingly did during my test.
This basically makes the game an enormous battlefield, but far from a living breathing world which a MMORPG should be.
Too bad really because the developers actually made a decent world but without any population apart from it's cheater of player base it has almost nothing to offer.

Other skills/professions part from killing

There is crafting and Gathering skills wich is a very grind process..

As I also thought this game was supposedly crafted after Ultima Online I also took for granted that they would introduce real rogue skills, lockpicking, pickpocketing etc ...But neither is in this game, and if you try to ask the fanbase about this you will certainly get flamed for even asking..

Overall..

The very basic core game of Darkfall is there, but to truly become something like Ultima Online they will have to work with this game for at least a couple of YEARS more. Now it's not even close to an rpg, as everything is almost left out apart from fighting, there is no lore, no nothing, just a world with locations and your enemies.

Final score:
5 / 10

It actually should be lower but I gave Aventurine a couple of points more due to the fact that some of the areas in this game are semi - good, and If they really stop listening to most of the rabid fanboys they might have a small chance at creating something here. But as it stands now the game is no where near a quality production.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 8:28 am

danzar

Total Posts: 527
danzar's Reps: 7
premium
My first "?" is why did you post that in the thread titled "Darkfall Preorders Crashes Site Servers "?

I can understand what you are saying but, The truth of the matter is that NOT one MMO has come out perfect. The largest MMO ever "WOW" was just nasty when it was first released. I reminber reading someplace that WOW wasn't going to last a year.

Last edited by danzar on February 21st, 2009, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 10:18 am

4play28

Total Posts: 49
4play28's Reps: 0
anyone have the torrent site yet.. to download the client or whatever?

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 11:44 am

nightravenkw

Total Posts: 42
nightravenkw's Reps: 0
premium
I know it's on Pirate Bay. Just search for Darkfall, you'll see the 8G file and the installer. You'll need both if you don't have anything yet. I used it with no porblems. Some are wary of unofficial files on the net as always scan the file before using. Oh yeah it is one of the early files so you will need some patching when you dl it.

http://thepiratebay.org/search/darkfall/0/99/0

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 4:16 pm

elysium

Active User > 50 Posts
nightravenkw (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I know it's on Pirate Bay. Just search for Darkfall, you'll see the 8G file and the installer. You'll need both if you don't have anything yet. I used it with no porblems. Some are wary of unofficial files on the net as always scan the file before using. Oh yeah it is one of the early files so you will need some patching when you dl it.

http://thepiratebay.org/search/darkfall/0/99/0

Complete waste of bandwith.

Wait another day for the real torrent that is patched unlike that one from early feb or pest a friend in beta for their details to get it through the client.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 6:07 pm

nightravenkw

Total Posts: 42
nightravenkw's Reps: 0
premium
Oh my mistake I thought he was wanting a torrent site today. Not to wait a day and download it. My mistake.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 9:38 pm

jahgreen

Total Posts: 48
jahgreen's Reps: 0
premium
jjevans please post your crap elsewhere. This is an information forum not an opinon forum. So please take your negative reviews to a review website and only post useful information.

Posted: February 21st, 2009, 10:50 pm

jahgreen

Total Posts: 48
jahgreen's Reps: 0
premium
4play28, the torrent is on the pirate bay, but if you wanted the Official site. The link is

http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/dl/DarkfallFull/

It should be up later today.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 2:56 am

jjevans

Total Posts: 2
jjevans's Reps: 0
(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
The largest MMO ever "WOW" was just nasty when it was first released

LOL if you're expecting something with the quality of WoW at launch then you're gonna be laughing or better yet crying..

you cannot even begin to compare what WoW was at launch to what this is right now... Darkfall is a total unfinished untested featureless amateur mess compared to something like WoW....

And no I am not a "carebear" as I've played Asheron's Call Darktide for several years.. I am just talking about overall production quality. The game is terrible in terms of its quality.

Aventurine has no more $ left and they also got dropped by their European distributor AudioVisual..

that's why they are forced to a do this "limited" pre order to try and raise money before it all goes to crap.. and it will very quickly after launch..

the game won't be online anymore past 2-3 months release... or they'll do another round of "pre orders"..

Trust me.. save your $.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 5:52 am

danzar

Total Posts: 527
danzar's Reps: 7
premium
jjevans
Please post your opinions in a opinions post. This is a info post about the server and getting the client.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 11:28 am

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
No need to tell him not to post. He can post in the general discussion. Just this is the place for about the pre order. No need to be rude jahgreen its a persons opinion and some people love certain games and some dont.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 1:39 pm

4play28

Total Posts: 49
4play28's Reps: 0
jahgreen (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
4play28, the torrent is on the pirate bay, but if you wanted the Official site. The link is

http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/dl/DarkfallFull/

It should be up later today.

Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 4:38 pm

elysium

Active User > 50 Posts
Tasos today:

Two major ISPs, one in Europe, the other in the US are cooperating on the issue we've been facing. We've been supporting them, and they've been working around the clock. The issue has been escalated as far as it can go, and we believe it's just a matter of time before it's solved. The minute it's done we'll likely launch the pre-orders.

We will also offer the installer and client download sometime tonight so that players will have it for launch day regardless of pre-ordering being up first.

We appreciate you hanging in there, and thank you for all the encouraging messages. We'll keep you posted.

So preorders will be available late on the 23rd american time or 24th euro/aus/asia time.

Check my new thread for the --real-- release client download.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online