taultunleashed logoEVE Guide: A Beginners Guide To Eve Online *UPDATED AGAIN!* : EVE Online Nerfed Info
newtopic  postreply
 [ 15 posts ] 
blue large dot

EVE Guide: A Beginners Guide To Eve Online *UPDATED AGAIN!* : EVE Online Nerfed Info

Posted: May 31st, 2006, 4:07 am

scwich
scwich's Reps:
What Is Eve Online?

EVE is a massive multiplayer online game (MMOG) set in a science-fiction based, persistent world. Players take the role of spaceship pilots seeking fame, fortune, and adventure in a huge, complex, exciting, and sometimes hostile galaxy.

How Do I Get The EVE Online 14 Day Trial? *

To get the trial, simply follow this link
http://www.gamershell.com/news/17215.html
Then within the first paragraph on that page, at the end you should see a link, (see this image for more detail)
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/9653 ... ink7mn.jpg
This will take you to the trial part of the EVE Online website, follow the given instructions and you are on your way to creating you account!

So I've Got The Game, Registered An Account, Installed The Client. Now What? *

Now you should login to EVE and create a character. Now there are no best characters, but it is best to have some sort of idea what you want your role to be in EVE. Now you should be able to choose which race you want to be.
http://www.eve-online.com/bitmaps/guide ... age002.jpg
After you have read the descriptions on the races and chosen which one you like the sound of best, it is time to choose your type of character. There are 3 different bloodlines both male and female, if you hover your mouse over the character, you should see what attributes the character has, ie drones, electronics, leadership.
http://www.eve-online.com/bitmaps/guide ... age020.jpg
Now if you have decided to become a fighter it may be best to choose the bloodline with the most Perception and Willpower, as these boost your ability to fight. Once you have done this, it time time to choose your apperance, it dosn't matter what appearance you choose, just so long as you like it, as you can't change it later on. Now to choose a name, again it dosn't matter just choose one you like eg: Starkiller.

I've Done All of The Above, Now What?

Once you have entered the game with your newly created character, it is always best to follow the in game tutorial to get a feel for the game. After you have followed the tutorial, do not leave the station, look to your right and you should see an agent. Right click on this agent and click 'Start Conversation', the agent will offer you some work. The missions do get harder as you go along, but don't worry as you will be rewarded with money and other goods. Also note that there is usualy a bonus reward if you complete the mission in time.

Ok, I've Done A Few Missions Now And I've Earned Some Dosh.

To the left of the screen you should see some buttons, click on the button named 'Market', if your willing to take a few jumps to get to your item at the top left of the market screen change the filter to 'Region', this will bring up a list of items for sale in the Region. Now if your looking to buy a new ship to upgrade from your standard ship, it is best to buy a frigate. But whilst you are looking at the frigates check what skills you need, if the icon is red then you dont have the aquired skill to use the ship, if the icon is green then you do. Now if you have enough money and want to buy a ship, but the icon is red, simply click on the 'Character Sheet' button on the left hand side of the screen. Locate the frigate skill ie 'Gallente Frigate I' if you are of the gallente race, and right click on it and click on Train To Level 2. This will take a few hours to get to, but the good thing is, is that even if you log out of the game, it still trains you in that skill! But you can only train one skill at a time. After you have got that skill up to the requirements of the ship, go ahead and purchase that ship. Now on the left hand side of the screen click on 'Assets' and locate where your new ship is located. Right click on it and click 'Set Destination', undock out of the station, and at the bottom middle of your screen you should see an icon with 'A' in it. Click on this to turn auto pilot on. This will take you to your destination automaticaly. Dock into the station and click on the 'Assets' icon on the left hand side of the screen. Right click on your newly purchases ship and click on 'Assemble' right click again and click on 'Activate'. Now you are in your new ship ready to rock. BUT don't forget to transfer your weapons etc over to your new ship. You would of lernt how to do this is in the tutorial.

The Importance of Skill Training: *

As you progress through the game, you will want to buy new items, as i explained previously in the situation of buying a ship, there may be a required skill to use this item. If you do not see the skill you need to train for the use of the item you desire, then you can buy skills in the 'Market', simply navigate your way to the Skills area of the market, and locate the skill needed, usualy new skills can be quite expensive! Plus the higher the skill level the longer it will take to train. It is best after your new skill training has successfully completed, to automatically start training a new skill, as this will speed up the time take to progress on in the game.

Money Making Tips:*

Mining:
Mining is an easy way of making money fast. Processed ore is much more valuable than unprocessed ore. But if you have no processing facility, then you will end up with a lot of un-sellable material. What ever you are mining always make sure you are carrying a secure container, so you can jetison your ore, and then pick it all up in one swoop using a Hauler (Industrial Ship).

Missions:
Always look around your local station for new agents avaliable to you, some missions are short, but offer good money. Usually the more dangerous or time consuming the mission, the bigger the reward. Plus the more missions you do, the more standing you will get with Agents higher up in the ranks, and agents higher up in the ranks, obviously have better paying missions!

Bounty Hunting:
Now bounty hunting is big money, but don't underestimate the person with the bounty. Bounty hunting is the same as missions, the bigger the reward, usually the harder it is to complete, so people with bigger bountys, tend to have very large guns!

Useful Links:

http://www.eve-online.com/
Official EVE Online Website,

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp
Official EVE Online Forums,

http://evevault.ign.com/
EVE Online Tutorials and Guides

This is a basic tutorial on how to play eve online successfully. Also this is my first ever tutorial I have written, but am willing to write more if asked to help you with your gaming needs.

EDIT: * = updated
Thanks, Scwich

Last edited by Guest on June 9th, 2006, 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: June 1st, 2006, 8:50 am

terminico
terminico's Reps:
Think this is an acceptable Guilde, so YAY...

Posted: June 1st, 2006, 12:06 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
You think its worth premmy its pretty short.

Posted: June 1st, 2006, 1:02 pm

lilfisher

Total Posts: 6810
lilfisher's Reps: 63
worth some bucks yeah it is. worth a premium definatly not. needs to be longer and with screenshots to be premium worthy

Posted: June 1st, 2006, 6:35 pm

tault_buckw1
tault_buckw1's Reps:
Nay, for the moment. Add more content such as more details on character selection, mention how to get the trail version, give links to the Eve Forums, explain the importance of skill training or give a link to a skill guide.

Think about the mistakes YOU made when you 1st started and try to help someone else avoid them.

Posted: June 8th, 2006, 8:38 am

terminico
terminico's Reps:
he updated it...
sort it a little bit and i say yay
it looks a bit, ehrm, chaotic

Posted: June 8th, 2006, 11:23 am

tault_buckw1
tault_buckw1's Reps:
Well it fits his description, a beginners guide. Would look better if the bbc code worked...

anyway, he has my YAY.

Maybe a nice Eve career guide next?

Posted: June 8th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
one more yay needed for premium.

Posted: June 8th, 2006, 6:10 pm

calicojack

Total Posts: 49
calicojack's Reps: 1
still to short imo

Posted: June 18th, 2006, 12:22 pm

terminico
terminico's Reps:
well now i say yay

Posted: July 7th, 2007, 6:46 pm

whispersoft
whispersoft's Reps:
Just having joined the game, I find this guide to be less then useful. Again it depends on who you are aiming it at. I do not know how different the different races are in starting but a more useful guide might start where the tutoial ends. I've been playing with the agent assignments, it would be nice to know, for example in one case, you need a skill to attach a device to your ship and you should not cancel the job.
While it is nice to know about ships and how to get the next one, maybe a progression of ships would be a nice to suggest. A semi-suggestion of jobs to do or a better walk through.
For a non-premie beginner's guide this is fine but if I am paying for this, I'd be dissapointed by the lack of detail and info.
Just as a refrence take a look at the WoW boards and the hunters' boards and their starter's guide. Well informed and gives you a general guide line and suggestions without a total walk through. In EVE, since it is unlike most other games, I think you need a little more of a walk through or detailed info.

Just the rambling thoughts of a new player and new poster.

Posted: November 20th, 2007, 8:22 pm

miguy
miguy's Reps:
wel, the best guides are often free guides, so read these ones before someone copy/paste's them into here for applause.

http://eve.grismar.net/wikka.php?wakka=NewPlayerGuide
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Eve-Onli ... 9027.shtml
http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?tit ... _in_EVE%3F
http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?tit ... ning_Guide

there are hundreds of others, but the wiki's usually keep up with game mechanics and rule changes, i.e. pvp/mining/r&d are fairly insular and rely on knowing certain ways to do things.

you might even have a few ships by now by doing the missions. when you can afford a cruiser, you can really go places, meet interesting people, and kill them. but they'll still kill you pretty quickly, so perhaps stick to the empire/CONCORD space until you've got your first 10 million saved, or your corp can bail you out.

for mining, i suggest reading the complete miners guide v2.2, found in the eve forums and given for free. if you want a guide that's up to the calibre of WoW guides, this is the only one i've seen so far that caps everything off.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard ... dID=434899

it basically covers intro to mining, the skills and training required, the time taken and the progression required to make more money from simple mining, jetcan mining with a frigate all the way to refining station/industrial refineries at the later stages, setting up an exhumer/barge/battleship, ice mining, mining drones, etc.

that said, mining's expensive. obviously.

and quite literally, the first entire week you'll be bored out of your brain with training, bored with skill charts and EVEmon / battleclinic loadouts drooling over ships worth 850m isk and finding out it will take 4+ months of training to even get to sit in the cockpit of one, let alone take it into 0.0 space.

but there's no experience based system that values in-game time, it values real-world time and cash, cold hard isk. if you want in-game cash, the safest way and the "only" approved way is to get Eve online game time-codes, but i suppose it's cheating when you can just set up a few decent bots and get that ISK for free.

however, for a newbie/alt, getting to the stage where you can make enough to pay for itself, i.e. 200 million takes months of solid training.

getting timecodes for a trial account is easy enough if youre training up an alt or another account, but you'd want to have enough for buying a few GTC's.

i.e. the norm is to buy 30-day /90-day codes for about $17/$38 US, which equate to 200m / 500m (though 180m/450m is more likely), and it's all done in the eve forums. none of this penny-ante ebay/buygoldnow.cn nonsense. there are other GTC values i.e. 50/100/150 days, you can buy, but the ISK value can be negotiable, and a quick sale is a happy sale.

it does defeat the purpose, but if you're playing to the point where 500m isk is not much work, you deserve to play the game for free.

Posted: November 21st, 2007, 11:20 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
miguy want to make a new post in the submissions and label each one giving credit. Youll get some extra tu bucks and it will help out members more :)

Posted: January 14th, 2008, 6:51 pm

lethal

Total Posts: 1352
lethal's Reps: 0
Lifetime Member (Guides)
This guide is out of date; beside these things are exlpained in the game with the game tutorial.

Have any questions? Email me: lethal.tault@gmail.com

Posted: January 16th, 2008, 11:34 am

Tault_admin

administrator
Mod in Training
moved to nerfed

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online