taultunleashed logoAnnoying Strat-guide lacking n00bs : FFXI General Discussions
newtopic  postreply
 [ 17 posts ]  1, 2  Next
blue large dot

Annoying Strat-guide lacking n00bs : FFXI General Discussions

Posted: June 15th, 2004, 2:32 am

Tault_Tault Community

Total Posts: 10213
Tault_Tault Community's Reps: 16
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I'm on Siren, and I've run into a lot of ppl who come up to me, take one look at my gear (I'm very good at making gil so I'm normally very well outfitted), and start asking me question after question about this or that quest or how to make gil, then seem to expect me to take a half an hour to lead them around and SHOW them where to go and what to do. I'm not against helping and I'll always answer a question or two, but it seems like once I do these people think they've found their game guide. Either they don't want to plunk $20 for the book or they're too lazy to reference it, and either way it's just plain annoying when some n00b follows you around with /tell after /tell of questions they could figure out on their own with a modicum of effort. Anyone else have this problem, and what do you do about it? :evil:

Posted: June 15th, 2004, 3:42 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I understand your frustration. I like to help people out and probably go out of my way more than i should and sometimes got me killed or wasted hours for nothing. But here is my thing>>>

I just got Ranger and lvled very fast (obviously) and some lvl 20, no subs came up to me and was like can you be in our party. I said "No sorry, my friend and I are soloing, but thanks for the invite." It was 10 minutes later and they are still around spamming our screen. It's like man, play the game, i said no once, get lost.

I am all about giving info, but there comes a time when you need to find stuff our for yourself. Even if you run around like a chicken with your head cut off, everyone does in some point of there gameplay.

Posted: June 15th, 2004, 10:10 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
wow, some people are just ignorant, eh? haha

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 2:30 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
casmo, i hope that is not a tongue-in-cheek response saying i'm ignorant. If you haven't ever had this happen to you, believe me it can be a pain. I don't like to /blist people, so I was looking to see what others do when this happens. It's far from ignorant to actually want to PLAY the game you pay for rather than show other people how to play it. I'm not a Mentor; if I was I would understand.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 9:14 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
look macronus, im sorry dude, didnt mean it that way.... :(

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 10:12 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
If you /blist people for asking you questions you are ingnorant.... Tell me what you did when you starting playing the game, and dont tell me you didnt ask people questions. Another thing more than half of this game is socail, thats the thing about MMORPG's you play with other people...... therfor you ask questions.

Posted: June 16th, 2004, 11:04 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Actually, no, I've never had to ask many questions. I find things I'm looking for the old-fashioned way, by looking. Searching sites like these is another method. And if you'd actually read my post, you'd see that I said I DON'T /blist people for asking questions, and my problem is not with a few questions. I always answer polite queries the best I can. My issue is with people who latch on to you after you answer one or two such questions and repeatedly pester you. I've had people continue to do so even after politely telling them that I have told them enough and I have some things I'd like to do. I had a guy tell me I had to answer his question because no one else in the area knew the answer! This after I had led him into Ranperre's tomb and killed a spook FOR him and gave the revival root for free! Afterward I politely told him I was now moving on to a quest I was working on, only to endure some ten to fifteen more questions, none of which could be answered quickly. These are the people I'm referring to, which you would know if you'd read the post you're responding to.

Posted: June 22nd, 2004, 12:15 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I've had this problem a LOT...

One person sticks in my mind very vividly though...
There was this one guy who, on a bored whim while waiting for my guildmembers to get online one morning, I showed how to get to Palborough Mines from Bastok Port. I was levelling one of my low level jobs and was headed there myself, so told him I could show him since that was my destination. He failed to mention that he was level 4. And I didn't ask. He died as soon as we got there. He respawned and asked me to get him there again. At this point he had been asking me questions for nearly 30 minutes. I told him to look at his map and go to the northmost point, and that I had to log. Temp logged and went to eat. Back in about 20 minutes and what do I log in to? He's already sent me like 50 messages asking questions AND wanting to add me to his friends list. Denied. I deleted them all. Went on about my business. For the next 2 weeks (RL time) he pestered me constantly, begging me to come help powerlevel him and asking questions and being a general pain in the !@#$%^&*. I had never used /blist before and had no idea how to use it. (Yeah, I know... shoulda got my lazy !@#$%^&* up and got my manual back out of the box). I don't know how since I had deleted the request, but he had me on his friends list, and he was on mine... so he could see when I logged on.He ended up /emote cybering with someone in a zone and I was partied there... He tried to include me in it and it pissed me off. I called a GM on him and said he was stalking me and harassing me and they were saying extremely inappropriate things. He disappeared and I didnt hear from him for 3 days... (I'm assuming suspension) In the meantime I had finally got the manual out and figured out how to /blist him. When he comes back on I see him one day in the dunes as I'm headed to selbina. I tabbed past his name. I guess he was trying to talk to me cuz he was doing emotes like crazy (I couldnt see them, but could see his char doing the motions). I kept running. Later that day I get a bunch of tells from another char... I was him wanting to know why I was mad at him. I told him he was an obnoxious, annoying, perverted little piece of !@#$%^&* and I didnt want him to taint MY good name by associating with me, then i /blist the char he was on. he hasn't bothered me again, but during the whole thing I felt almost afraid to log on... Thank Altana that's over

Other pet peeves?

I also get something even more annoying added to the mix since I'm a WHM that's past 50 now...
Complete stranger: "I want you to powelevel me"
My newest answer? "And people in hell want icewater... I can't help them, why the hell should I help you"

Annoying... Total random strangers thinking I'm going to drop everything that I'm doing (even XP parties) to powerlevel them... Jeeze... Play the game like I did moron....

Or the people who beg for raises when they're halfway across the world and expect me to drop everything and hop a 800+ gil chocobo to come through 4 zones to raise their level 12 @ss... respawn... at that level you dont lose that damn much XP... deal with it...

But yeah, one or two questions is fine.... hell, thats why I have the mentor thing over my head now... but c'mon... theres a million websites with TONS of info on them... AND theres a strat guide that has the answers to most of these questions in them...

What I find truly amusing is when you can't answer the person's question, or you only know a small bit of info... and they get mad at you... WTF??? I'm trying to help your retarded, can't-go-look-it-up-myself !@#$%^&* and you're gonna get mad at ME cuz I'm not gonna log off and look it up FOR you??? Up yours...

Posted: June 22nd, 2004, 2:40 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
To continue a very good point: the Power-Levelling thing. I'm a RDM, so now that I'm over level 30 I get this question a lot, some more persistent than others. I'm sorry, but I DO NOT power-level people, at all, ever, under any circumstances. Call me old-fashioned (hey, I'm 30, which I guess is old for FFXI), but I play RPGs for the fun of the journey, PLAYING the game is the fun of it, not finishing it as quickly as possible. I never asked anyone to power-level me and even turned down offers to do so from friends. I just think it's a cheap way to go through the game, and I always respond by saying, "I'm sorry but I don't do that." This is not enough for most players. Did I miss something? Is there a rule that any high-level character capable of healing is required to waste their time and help a lower-level character just because they have Cure2? I could have sworn there wasn't.

Posted: June 23rd, 2004, 10:50 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
i just became a mentor recently, and i had atleast 5 new people come up and ask me for Gil. Mentors are for helping people with their problems, not to give them money.

Posted: June 24th, 2004, 1:22 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
LOL, i am debating to be a mentor. I might change my mind.

Posted: June 24th, 2004, 4:27 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
smalltownpoet (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
LOL, i am debating to be a mentor. I might change my mind.

The good thing about being a mentor is that you can turn the damn thing off... LOL

Posted: June 24th, 2004, 11:31 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
that is true lol

Posted: June 24th, 2004, 7:54 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
lol, interesting thread, I know exactly what you mean, damn n00bs, you'd think they'd at least TRY to find out how to do it themselves BEFORE bothering us!

Posted: June 25th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
That's kinda what I'm saying. Once again, a few questions, no biggie, I have no problem sharing what I know. But some people don't seem to understand that those of us who've had the game for a while still want to PLAY it. The game continues past level 30. After say 10-15minutes of conversation, if someone politely asks to go about their business, I don't see that as rude or ignorant or anything. And jeez, we all have real jobs & stuff. I'm not a jerk if I won't help someone when I have to go to work in half an hour and had something specific I wanted to accomplish in that time.

And what is with the power-levelling thing? What makes people think they have the right to DEMAND that a healer they don't even know do this for them? It's boring, it's time consuming, and I'm against it. I had a guy start swearing at me the other night because I said no to this request. Needless to say I reported him, but come on people. . .

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online