blue large dot

PVP Talk -mage vs archer : Lineage 2 General Discussions

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 3:33 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Total Posts: 10213
Tault_Tault Community's Reps: 16
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Ok so no I'm kinda curious. I faught an orc mage 3 levels below me in a 1v1 duel. Basically, I started with a soul shot and then went for a powershot. Before I was able to release powershot, it was cancelled by sleep. The orc mage then cast two stacked DOTs and just waited. Within about 10 seconds I was at 2hp and all he had to do was hit me with his staff to finish me off.

Basically, I was only able to hit once and only for 50 dmg. Orc mages are able to wear heavy armor so they are almost like tanks with mage hp. I'm only lv 18 btw, he was lv 15.

So...there really is no counter to this. Even with high mdef sleep spell isn't resisted too often. Now, in C1, I think just about ALL mages get sleep spell, not just orcs. On top of that, the sleep spell cast time is reduced to 1 second flat.

For those who watched the 5v5 Korean guild match movie and wondered why there weren't any mages...there is a reason. The korean servers have been up one year and C1 is already in place. If the rules before the match are translated from Korean to English, the rules basically state, No mages. They're simply too powerful.

So the question is, should I drop my archer and start making a mage?

Thanks for all input/comments.

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 4:06 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
NO! continue the archer, i think they r WAY cooler...

lets think of it in terms of appearance first...
archer looks awesome... mage... hmm EVEN elven mage looks funny when they r running and holding a staff... looks like a big dildo they r holding to me.

archers appears much more deadly lol

now in terms of power... iam pretty sure archer is just as good. IF you can solutshot and powerstrike the mage once or twice, he should be dead, their life is really quite weak.

the sleep spell CAN be annoying, but iam pretty sure there will be items/stratgies in C1 to counter them

my opinion is to stick with the archer and be cool :D

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 4:18 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
i thought silver rangers leveled faster than any other class.. so how do mage types> silver rangers

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 7:36 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Well u said he casted sleep on you then casted a DoT , wont that break mez and allow you to fight back?

Maybe i'm wrong on this but as a level 26 oracle, if i'm attacked all i can do is try to get a root off , a quick heal on myself and run.
I cant trade blows with an archer since his arrows has a chance to interrupt my casting; and his arrows wont get interrupted.

Of coz maybe a wizard might stand a better chance =P

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 7:50 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
i think rangers have a lot less down time than mages.

if rangers r low on health, they can trap monsters in a corner or under a bridge or something and shoot the hell out of em.
if they r low on mana they can switch to a dagger (massive dmg) and stab the monstesr to death...

mages on the other hand ONLY has mana... they have to sit down a LONG time for the mana to regen (mana regen much slower than hp; without any skill that is)

Posted: May 2nd, 2004, 9:12 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
yeap my ranger is mage gear to boost his mana pool, but it hurts to get wacked so stick to slow moving mobs.

Posted: May 3rd, 2004, 2:15 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
id say dont worry about it woth C1 archers are getting a big nerf and whoever told all casters would get an insta-cast sleep is on drugs if mages are all so powerful eventually they will get a nerf aswell :) maybe not in korean L2 but in US people whine alot that goes with all games
through my experience with mmorpgs super uber classes dont stay that way for too long

Posted: May 3rd, 2004, 12:06 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
[quote="majito"]id say dont worry about it woth C1 archers are getting a big nerf and whoever told all casters would get an insta-cast sleep is on drugs if mages are all so powerful eventually they will get a nerf aswell :) maybe not in korean L2 but in US people whine alot that goes with all games
through my experience with mmorpgs super uber classes dont stay that way for too long[/quote]

agreed. this is the good thign about mmorpg. if one class is overpowered, they will be nerfed. if mage get too strong they get nerfed and the same thing applies to archers... so with those two things out of the way you can just decided based on looks =)
whcih i think archers look better

Posted: May 4th, 2004, 12:17 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Both are viable depends on what you want to do. Also what kind of PvP do you see yourself doing mainly in say 2-3+ months.

Are you thinking your going to go around being a RED solo PvP. Or a massive Guild v Guild, or Group vs Group fighting situation.

Mages are strong in one field, magick. Do you recall what M.Def jewelry you were wearing. Note certain tanks get buffs to protect against mages along with being able to wear M.Def Jewelry. Just because you go Mage won't mean you are invincible. You'll just have another enemy that knows your weakness.

Posted: May 5th, 2004, 9:42 am

Tault_eneroth

Total Posts: 27
Tault_eneroth's Reps: 0
hey man when u go up in higher class u will get the stun skill.
Use that to stun him then dual arrow something, soulshot, power shot.
Im not up there yet so i can give any good tips.

Posted: May 5th, 2004, 6:24 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Talking with more people, I start to get the opposite. Non-rc mages, with low hp and only cloth armor get one shot killed rather easily...any pvp mages here? What level and how do you do?

Posted: May 5th, 2004, 6:48 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I just need to comment because I have a 12 orc mage, and unless that guy had a very good m.atk he is very DAMN lucky all 3 of his spells landed, as of my char he has a willow staff and feriotic armor and his 2 dot's and sleep altogather land about 10% of the time, I usually only use chillflame and finish with lifetap.

*or you must have crap for m.def :p

Posted: May 5th, 2004, 9:56 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
hmm, many things to say here.

first off in C1 a dot will break mezz (almost 100% sure of this, may be wrong)

second, his DoT will NEVER hit you at high lvls (talking about 40+)

third, mages are ownd in duels(no such thing as a ban on mages in PvP, they just dont use em cuz they suck)

fourth, SR have a longer range than orc mage spells, so you can stun from further away, and then double shot, power shot, etc etc. that, and you run way faster, so if you were ww'd, and speed potted up you could outrun al lhis spells the second he starts casting.

Posted: May 6th, 2004, 7:36 am

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I've never seen anyone beat a mage 1 on 1 in a duel of equal level people. I know that I had newbie equipment until I was level 37 except for my weapon and I had no problem disposing of PKers of higher level than me along the way. I currently have a level 51 spellsinger in Korea P2P and I've only been pk'd once, and that was by a group of three (although I've won many times against a group of 3 who don't know nuker power).

I've also never seen a nuker cast sleep in PvP. We don't need to, we kill much faster than anyone can get an attack off. Blessed soul shot and 2 aura burns equals death in 3 seconds for most people who try to pk me. Archers faster than me? No problem, as an elf, I master water magic and slow them down with the first spell (which is long range BTW) and then knock em down with another aura burn or two if needed.

I really find it hard to believe that anyone here who claims mages suck in PvP have actually dueled one. I've fought people with elven jewelry, and it might take a third auraburn to kill them, but still they are dead in 4.5 seconds instead of 3. There is a reason why they call us nukers.

The only people who can kill nukers in PvP are other nukers or a group of PvPers that catch a nuke by suprise. Our magic resistance is too high for others to land their skills on us and our damage is too quick for anyone to get 3 hits in on us . . . and you can't kill us in 2.

Posted: May 6th, 2004, 3:04 pm

Tault_Tault Community

Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Archers are NOT geting nerfed...i dont know why people keep thinking this. The only "Nerf" is going toward there soloing ability. They can still solo after c1, it just takes a bit longer.

They are changing the SS on bows. It is being doubled, so with a gastra, it will take 8. Thats WAY too high to solo, as you lose all your money on that. The other "nerf" is monsters run slightly faster, but you can still solo. There is nothing being changed with damage, or anything like that.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online