So since starcraft 2 made it so you had to be connected online to play a game tons of lan players where pissed. However some players just recently came out with an awesome hack called starfriend which will allow you to actually play starcraft 2 over a lan. Its great if you just want to have a lan party with some friends instead of being forced to connect online to play starcraft 2. Here is the step by step instructions with a virus scan as well.Now, what is Starfriend?
Starfriend is a software, that enables playing Starcraft 2 over LAN (and therefore Hamachi) by emulating the battle.net servers.
It's of course still in development, and therefore there's still a plenty of bugs. In 0.54, only 1v1
is enabled, support for more players is coming soon though. Starfriend supports latest SC2 version (1.3.6
) and all
How to install and use Starfriend?
- Download map cache from: MapCache_1.3.6_New.rar
- Place the map cache in \ProgramData\Blizzard Entainment\
and in your Starcraft 2 folder (Stacraft II\Blizzard Entertainment
- Download Starfriend from: StarFriendBeta_0.54.rar
- Extract all the files in Starfriend archive to your Starcraft 2 folder
- Start the server, and then start the game
- Log in with username: [url=mailto:email@example.com]firstname.lastname@example.org[/url]
and password: gg
I hope, that's all, have fun.
Woops, there's the virustotal scan: VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
(the results are probably false-positives, I tested the files myself and everything is fine)