taultunleashed logothis is gettin REALLY old.... : Star Wars Galaxies Discussions tu winter contest 2012 nintendo wii
newtopic  postreply
 [ 8 posts ] 
blue large dot

this is gettin REALLY old.... : Star Wars Galaxies Discussions

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 7:55 am

fixxxer
fixxxer's Reps:
this is really frustrating...i was loving this programbut it keeps crashing my game. ill be playin the game without a macro even going and ill here the error sound in the background, alt tab out hit ok and the games crashes.... ok whatever, just start the game back up.... NOT game doesnt work anymore, with or without XU. how about i unsintall the game and reinstall it.... NOPE still not letting me start the game... i finally have to reformat the entire hard drive and resinstall windows to get the game to work.. this program saves me time in swg till i crash and end up spending more time formating, reinstalling and updating. first few times i was running windows xp, thought that was the problem so i went back to windows 2000 and was running that the last few times... and by few times its not onces or twice.. ive been formatting once a day for the past week. im not running anything in the background. just swg on a bare install of xppro or 2k pro. im typing this on my laptop as im formattin my desktop AGAIN [:-banghead]

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 8:16 am

fixxxer
fixxxer's Reps:
and another thing.... its the launch pad that crashes, it doesnt even get to the login part the little popup that says swg on it trys to load and boom crash. and if i try to restart XU i get file corrupted please run virus scan then reinstall... so i delete everything xu related and re download it and reinstall it.. low and behold, File Corrupted.

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 8:33 am

Admin
Admin's Reps:
If you are getting file corrupted, it could be several things. First, you have a virus on your computer that is not getting rid of. Second, bad bard drive/hardware on the computer itself.

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 8:41 am

fixxxer
fixxxer's Reps:
one thing i might add that was kinda nice... last night when it crashed i heard the error in the back ground and ignored it. then later i recorded a macro.... PERFECT no lag at all... that error cleared something up or you fixed the lag bug and i didnt know ;)

and the only way i would have a virus is if your software has it. because i do a FULL format on the HD then reinstall windows then swg then XU and thats it.

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 10:19 am

WyvernX
WyvernX's Reps:
Even with a full format, it does not fix the MBR of the hard drive. Those are called boot sector viruses, and a format will not get rid of them. Not that you have one, just FYI. Try doing a low level can of your hd for bad sectors, etc.

I've never gotten an error like you described, and I have both a win98SE and winxp systems that I run things off of.

Posted: October 2nd, 2003, 12:29 pm

wparish
wparish's Reps:
I feel I have to pitch in my .02 here. And please, I don't mean this as a criticism.

I can't see how a crash under xp could corrupt the system so completely. I mean, by default it should be setting system restore points. In a worse case you just roll back to a restore point prior to installing swg (or xunleashed for that matter).

But that aside, I've noticed odd behaviors when I've crashed SWG, and I usually assume it's sloppy coding in my script...but what I have to do to clear it is hit ctl-alt-delete and kill the processes that don't end with swg and xunleashed.

I know this is stating the obvious but you totally cold boot between attempts to load the program after it crashes before resorting to formatting and reinstalling...right?

And just for yuks if you don't have an av scanner trend micro has a pretty cool online active x scanner you can use for free at:
http://housecall.antivirus.com

Posted: January 17th, 2004, 8:28 pm

sarcosis
sarcosis's Reps:
adding my dime in.

I had a issue just like this a few weeks ago.
I did not have XU running on my system at the time. My launch pad would not work would say file corrupt.

the fix was to replace one of my sticks of memory. It was bad. after that everything worked fine.

Posted: February 7th, 2004, 1:18 am

Dakanai
Dakanai's Reps:
Greets,

Ok I'll chip in my .02$.

First off you are talking about Microsoft operating systems... that about covers the fact you're having any problem. I liked Dos .. after windows... I hated most of them.

Next...

If you are running the game and it crashes for any reason. Then you uninstall/reinstall and still can't run it... A system restore point won't really help.

This would be caused most likely by a corrupted registry type setting that is SWG specific. Most generic restore points are for system files. When he/she reinstalls SWG as sometimes happens the pre-existing but corrupted entry is left intact to carry over "old" settings thus the game never works again. When he/she reformats the registry is wiped thus solving the problem... or whatever file is being left behind.

I've had a lot of crashes with X... running. I've also had a lot of SWG crashes without it. I don't crash often... just saying it happens.

I've never had to reinstall the game or reformat because of it tho. As much as its happening to you... would point to another problem and/or hardware setup that is different than mine that isn't happy somehow.

And to close...

ya a virus in your MBR won't be wiped by a standard /format but there is always FDISK... and since you can change file systems it will wipe a MBR (aka you can go with FAT or NTFS by doing an FDISK and format).

Much worse would be a virus that infects your motherboards bios chip and yes it can happen if you don't have flash protection.

But anyway... I've had problems similar to yours but no where near that degree.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online