So What Happened These Past 2 Weeks : Site News

Posted: February 5th, 2011, 1:26 am

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Here is a quick recap of what happened.

1) There was a vulnerability found in the site. It happens unfortunately when you are a large site. Around the same time sourceforge was also hit and there is a chance they attacks where related.

2) We first took our time trying to figure out how they managed to get it and plugged the whole.

3) We have a special hosting company that deals in packet attacks and other things and we worked with them to restore everything as we have multiple backup hard drives.

4) The company made a massive mistake and instead of doing it on site had a tech log into the server from an outside local which gave the hacker access again because he easily installed a backdoor and the company took down our ip blocks via the firewall.

5) Hacker deleted the files on hard drive 1 and backup 1. Trust me when i say we weren't happy about the stupid mistake they made and needless to say we aren't even done with the !@#$%^&* storm they will be getting.

6) We still have another backup hard drive as we like to be over cautious and we had that one installed.

7) Because bad things happen in 3s. The backup actually went down right then and there on us.

8) We sent it out right away to a company that was suppose to pick it up 2 weeks ago on Friday but the hosting company gave them the wrong hard drive so we had to wait until that following Monday.

9) Restoration site gave us a list of the backups we had and said sure we can fix it and give you the files you needed from the crashed HD.

10) Restoration company says it takes 2-5 days ended up taking about 8-9 days to do a restoration.

11) Restoration company either sucks at what they do or lied because they couldn't recover any of the files asked for.

12) We then reverted to an older backup we had that kept all the user names but to be safe for the forums we had to revert a few months back ugh.

13) We are still working on restoring posts as we have a demi-backup but its not in any sort of form that can be used to actually do a full database restore.

In summary

We had a major hack attack on the site and due to horrible circumstances some posts where lost, however all user accounts are still there. We are also working on restoring a ton of the posts lost.

On the glass half full note:

1) In our searching for possible ways for the site to be attacked we found a major bug fo ra piece of software that thousands of people use and notified them. This will help keep those people safe.
2) We purchased another server for the site which will help keep tu running even faster and we fixed an annoying memory error finally so that whole time out while posting bug seems to be gone.
3) We have installed some neat new software apps to help the sites speed.
4) We are working on hiring some new interns to help clean things up and add more content.
5) The game pages should all be redone shortly with updated layouts and features to make your gaming experience easily.

TU IS BACK AND STRONGER THAN EVER :)

Posted: February 5th, 2011, 2:32 pm

vinnyboy32

Total Posts: 1872
vinnyboy32's Reps: 3
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
Glad Taults back!

Posted: February 5th, 2011, 3:05 pm

heration

Total Posts: 21
heration's Reps: 2
premium
Glad the sites back online, though i PM'd you about loss of premium.

Posted: February 6th, 2011, 6:33 am

vad0r

Total Posts: 18
vad0r's Reps: 0
premium
Yeah, ive unfortunately lost access to my premium account to (logs into control panel but reports invalid username when trying to login to forums)

Posted: February 6th, 2011, 7:35 am

nickobelenus

Total Posts: 114
nickobelenus's Reps: 2
Active User > 50 Posts
yah TU is back

Posted: February 6th, 2011, 9:30 am

lulzhai

Total Posts: 132
lulzhai's Reps: 1
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
I noticed Egamingsupply.com got attacked too. Glad they're both up again.

Posted: February 6th, 2011, 5:49 pm

benowns

Total Posts: 2
benowns's Reps: 0
premium
I have been in that same situation a few dozen times in my hosting history.
Crackers are jerks, and as not worth a !@#$%^&*. sorry about all the lose bro.
but also.
um. the year long premium i bought is gone >.< can we fix this as well.

Posted: February 7th, 2011, 3:06 am

vinnyboy32

Total Posts: 1872
vinnyboy32's Reps: 3
Active User > 50 Posts
premium
benowns (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I have been in that same situation a few dozen times in my hosting history.
Crackers are jerks, and as not worth a !@#$%^&*. sorry about all the lose bro.
but also.
um. the year long premium i bought is gone >.< can we fix this as well.

A lot of peoples premiums are gone for some reason. Must be a bug. Admin should have it fixed soon.

Posted: February 7th, 2011, 3:15 am

das2000uk

Total Posts: 3
das2000uk's Reps: 0
premium
Thank god your back up n running. Been lost without mmoviper as well.
And yeah my premium seems to have gone. :(

Posted: February 7th, 2011, 3:38 am

Spitt

Total Posts: 745
Spitt's Reps: 718
premium
egamingsupply.com wasn't attacked. The site owner, Justice McCay is a scammer who doesn't pay his debts. He scammed my powerleveling company - these articles tell a bit about my experience with him.

Justice McCay banned Kendrah1
kendrah1 (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
I told him I hold a grasp on internet marketing, and he's about to feel it in due time. So long as he has banned my ID in secrecy, without reason, without explanation, without justification, I'm an advocate of exposing the truth about his scamming nature. His best course of action was to simply let me be.

He also repeatedly scams & bans his Middlemen, when they demand their money. Money in the thousands is owed to them.

Artemys, is what caused Justice to take down his site. Artemys posted the truth about Justice, and edited threads/posts so that he would get word out. He didn't just edit his own posts, so Justice had no choice but to either root them out (he doesn't like to work) or restore an old copy. He chose the latter.

There have also been deals in the past, where some people have tried to buy egamingsupply from Justice, but then Justice tries to keep the money. Those articles and posts, however are not linkable since they are for professional sellers only, at mmobay.

On a lighter note, glad to see you finally get your site back up. I recall when my cheat/guide site was taken down by hackers, was not a pleasant experience. I can't understand why they do it, just wish they would do it to egamingsupply for a few months, f**king scammer.

Posted: February 7th, 2011, 1:18 pm

jattboy510

Total Posts: 2
jattboy510's Reps: 0
vad0r (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
Yeah, ive unfortunately lost access to my premium account to (logs into control panel but reports invalid username when trying to login to forums)

+1
same boat going up !@#$%^&* creek without our paddle.
Hopefully soon, the email isn't working for mine, not sending me a new generated pass.

Posted: February 7th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Tault_admin

Total Posts: 29974
Tault_admin's Reps: 1444
administrator
Mod in Training
Yea we are running a big upgrade tonight to fix all those accounts. Just its easier at night less people on so things run smoother.

Posted: February 8th, 2011, 10:53 am

heration

Total Posts: 21
heration's Reps: 2
premium
will i we reimbursed time for all the things that have happend?

For us who pay for Premium

Posted: February 10th, 2011, 4:56 am

das2000uk

das2000uk's Reps: 0
premium
Still cant get into premium :(

Posted: February 10th, 2011, 5:46 am

sograosti

sograosti's Reps: 0
premium
same for me when i try to go to a post it tells me "You are not authorised to read this forum"

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online