TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

W/Mo Solo Build : GW Guide Discussion

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
the_dabhand
February 27th, 2006, 6:45 pm 

Cash on hand: Locked
Im being generous again :P

This is what I use for farming solo all over.

So what do we need....

Well a Warrior/Monk character is a good idea first of all.... In this example im using Droknars Forge Platemail armor (85 AP) with the following runes...

Head - Superior Strength
Chest - Superior Absorption (Major will suffice also)
Arms - Superior Swordmanship
Legs - Superior Absorption
Feet - Major Vigor (superior vigor gives an extra 9 over major and In My honest opinion a waste of money to buy or use - sell em)

Following attributes are set

Healing - 12
Strength - 12
Swordmanship - 13

As you will see in the following pics, the following skills are on my bar

Battle Rage (elite)
Sever Artery
Gash
Healing Breeze
Vigorous Spirit
Live Vicariously
Mending
Balthazar's Spirit

Weapon and Shield

Furious Spatha of Defence
max dmg req 9
15>50%
10/10 2x adrenalin
+5 Defence

Shield of the Wing

+16 def (12 tactics) blehhh
+45hp enchanted yay
(bad shield I would prefer a str shield with same health enchant also hoping for -2/-2 dmg with it hehe)

The good thing about this build is its versatile, you could use an axe instead of the sword if you wish, but the sword with battle rage means a quicker healing process even if the dmg dealing is low. That is why I have Server Artery in there to bleed the foes. But like I said Battle Rage and 2 axe skills will work also :)

For the example I did the olde ettin run outside bettletun.

Leaving bettletun the first thing I did was to put on Mending then Live Vicariously. This offcourse stops any energy regen from happening as you have used up both pips, but this is ok, as for this build im using adrenalin attack skills which need no energy.

Proceed on the path in front of you and decimate the Mergoyles. You will have to attack a Mergy a few times to enable Battle Rage (BR), once BR is on use Server Artery (SA) to start bleeding and use Gash again and again, until you move to another target, by which time you will see BR flashing which is the time to re-enable it. Failure to re-enable BR will result in a complete loss of adrenalin. So keep an eye on BR at all times as the reason you want it to stay on is you attack quicker, and with Live Vicariously (LV) on you gain +11hp per hit so you can heal yourself quickly and with mending on you will be safe.

Once the mergoyles are done, with the possible Spined Aloe's, you will go down a ravine. With 2 groups of Tengu Scouts and Wilds.

I would recommend you go for the Wilds first in each group, as they have an annoying Shatter Enchantment which will lose you either Mending or LV. Dont worry with one gone your energy regen is back and the Wilds are easy to take down. When you have energy again (in my experience they usually take off LV which is only 5 energy cost) re-enable the missing enchantment then proceed to take out the scouts.

With the 2 groups done wait and heal as the ettins usually come in groups of 3's and in rare occassions 4's.

Now healed agro the first ettin group and attack, repeat the BR, SA and Gash, Gash, Gash etc combo on each ettin. DO NOT FORGET about the BR re-enabling.

Ettins have this annoying habit of using Endure Pain, but that is not a problem when it runs out they will most likely killed themselves when it does.

Some people say to me that it doesnt work this build on mobs of 3 or 4, but it does, here is proof

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Was a 3 mob, just took screenshot before 3rd one died.

Also you can get Gold Pauldrons but very rarely now

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Which was a useless Major Domination rune

But you also get purple also

Which was a Major Vigor which I sold to someone for 4k.

So you can see it is very easy to farm those ettins. You can of course use axe skills also.

But what if you wanted to farm other places, perhaps Talus Chute and the trolls that live in that cave.

This is where an axe does come in handy.

This is what I would use to do that.

Arms - Superior Axe ... Rest of Armor the same

Attributes

Healing - 12
Strength - 12
Axe - 13

But with the following skill bar

Cyclone Axe (for hitting multiple targets)
Swift Chop
Healing Hands (elite)
Healing Breeze
Vigorous Spirit
Live Vicariously
Mending
Balthazar's Spirit

Now the trick is when entering the cave before you rush into the trolls, put on Mending first, wait till energy is maxed then put on Balthazar's Spirit (BS) and then rush in. When you get the whole mobs (about 12-14 trolls) and about to fight put on LV.

Now you would have been hit a few times, but because of BS you will gain +1 energy per hit on you, and with 12-14 trolls thats 12-14 energy.

Ahhhhh you say that is handy, yes yes it is. Next to be used is Healing Breeze (HB), followed by Healing Hands (HH), then Vigorous Spirit (VS).

The reason for the order is HB will help heal you enough to get out HH, which heals you when you get hit, at Healing 12 thats +25hp per attack on you, now multiply that by 12-14 lol

Now as soon as VS is on, use Cyclone axe, now look at your HP gain there also..

Say 14 trolls, you hit with Cyclone Axe hitting them all, thats lets do the maths

14x11hp for VS
+
14x11hp for LV

= 308hp gain

Yep tis a healing frenzy tonight :)

Then proceed to use Swift Chop on your target, with luck it will hit and they will deep wound for a while.

Just in time for the whole HB, HH, VS, Cyclone, Swift Chop combo again.

AGAIN! Its important to watch your enchantments.. And never ever ever, pick up any rare drops while fighting, you would be amazed the amount of people who do that in a fight when a rare drops, remember your soloing nobody is gonna steal it ;)

If you repeat the whole process over and over, it may take a while to kill em all, you should be safe..

But bear in mind, the more you kill the less HP gain you get when cycloning and when HH is on.

the_dabhand
February 27th, 2006, 6:54 pm 

Oh yeah if you pick up any clean max dmg weapons on troll run (white) do identify it..

Why Identify it I hear you ask??

Well for a test try it and see...

Say Axe req 9 max dmg is 60gp to sell at merchant, now identify it, how much is it now, probably between 100-120gp..

Aha, its worth identifying white weapons and shields. Preferbly the max ones as they give more chance of double the price.

And more if its a unique skin or weapon, like sephis axes (even those low req can be worth more when identified).

brandonw231
February 27th, 2006, 7:22 pm 

I like the way you presented the guide, pretty descriptive and easy enough to follow. And you put up Screeenshots, thats always helpful. Only thing is that Ettin Farming builds are easy enough found. Though i am going to have to try this now :0)

jammr_m32
February 27th, 2006, 8:18 pm 

the_dabhand (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE'))):
Head - Superior Strength
Chest - Superior Absorption (Major will suffice also)
Arms - Superior Swordmanship
Legs - Superior Absorption
Feet - Major Vigor (superior vigor gives an extra 9 over major and In My honest opinion a waste of money to buy or use - sell em)

I like your build, but I would think that having 2 superior absorption runes would be more of a waste of money than a superior vigor since the 2 absorptions don't stack. Superior absorption is generally about twice the price of a superior vigor.

the_dabhand
February 28th, 2006, 3:39 am 

You can only have 1 vigor rune, but as much absorption as you like.

Yes Absorption does stack.

They even make it easier to understand now, check it out, Vigor, Swordmanship all say non-stacking dont they.

But what about Absorption, doesnt say?

jammr_m32
February 28th, 2006, 6:24 am 

As with Knight's armor, the damage reduction from an absorption rune is global and doesn't stack. The link below links to several threads where this has been hashed over.

Of course, if you have evidence to show that absorption runes to stack, I'd be more than happy to take a look (as I'm sure countless others would).

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... absorption

the_dabhand
February 28th, 2006, 9:47 am 

I did a simple test, bought leggings again with no rune, went to battle in grenths, avg dmg with physical attacks was 25/26.

With the other runed leggings with absorp on it 22/23 avg.

But then its hard to really see any evidence.

[ 7 posts ]