top right

TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

Tips for Buying/Selling- Playing the market : GW Submissions

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
wussupi
June 12th, 2006, 9:30 pm 

Cash on hand: Locked
This is another attempt to get a premium account. I have checked gwonline.net, guildwarsguru, and gameamp and while they have price checks for individual items, they do not give tips on how to maximize profit. This guide does not give specific prices of every item, but does give some for some examples.

Buying low and Selling high is by far the most boring kind of making money. Even more so than farming, but the rewards are much greater, much quicker. The bigger purchases and sales can yield a profit of over 500k when done properly. Lots of patience is needed tho.

Of course you have to start somewhere and at first, you will not be purchasing gold items for 100k+xx ectos. You should not bother with purple or blue items. At the beggining, you should first work with Green items, Gold Unidentified items, and weapon upgrades.

Specific Tips for Greens
1) Do not stock up on greens as the skins may not be as popular as others and while the mods may be great, you will not get as much for it as a gold item with the same mods but with a cooler looking skin.

2) Once in a while, you may choose to buy "unwanted greens" Sometimes, some people may throw away valuables.

Specific Tips for Gold Unidentified items
1) After you buy these and equip it to see if it has any decent noticable mods.

2) Reselling these will not generate a huge profit but will give a steady 5k.

3) Try not to buy these from the spammers that have 10 straight lines that belong to them.

Specific Tips for Weapon Upgrades

1) Weapon upgrade prices are pretty cemented and do not fluctuate much. Stay away from the armor, elemental, condition, zealous and vamp upgrades. Health upgrades will go for 20-60k depending on the weapon. The 20/20 Sundering upgrades will go for 100k+ and the number of ectos varies. Only Health and Sundering upgrades will make significant profits.

2) Try to sell weapon upgrades as a package for a great weapon. Many times, if you have all the mods a person wants, they will pay more.

General Tips for Buying

1) Know the cost of weapons. If you are not sure, ask for a price check.

2) Be polite. No one likes trading with a jerk.

3) Try not to buy more than 5 items to sell at once. Keep some money for real bargains. Having more than 5 items to sell at once can become hectic and it will be hard to concentrate while selling to one person, and some customers may not like that.

4) Beware of people who claim to be "cleaning out storage" and people who are "quitting the game". While some of this may be true, most are not

5) When buying greens, buy from places early in the game such as Ascalon City and sell at later places in the game such as Deldrimor Warcamp or Droknar's Forge. (Example - Buy thorgall's shield for 1k at Ascalon and sell for 3k at Warcamp)

6) When advertising for an object you want, act like you do not care.

a) Decide on a buying price that is reasonable and lower than average market value. If a seller gives a price that is too high, shrug and politely tell the seller the maximum amount you are willing to go. The key is to not be rude. After a few minutes, the seller usually messages you back, accepting your offer.

b) When you get a pm saying they have what you are looking for, do not reply right away. Answering too quickly will give the impression that you are desperate and that allows the seller to jack up the price. Wait a minute, and then proceed with bartering.

7 ) Use trading sites and forums. I believe there is a trading forum right here in taultunleashed, and there is one in guildwarsguru. Use sites such as http://traders.gwonline.net/ to try to find as many sellers as you can.

Now that you bought your items, it is time to sell them at ridicoulously high prices!

General Tips for Selling

The first few are the same as buying

1) Know the cost of weapons. If you are not sure, consult a website.

2) Be polite. No one likes trading with a jerk.

3) When selling, try your best not to advertise. Wait in a server and wait for the buyers to advertise. You will be able to get higher prices out of those buyers.

4) If you do advertise, make sure your prices are high and allow the buyer to barter with you while still making a profit.

5) Pretend there is competition. When a buyer asks to buy something, say "Yes" and then say "Oh someone else wants it too, are you willing to go higher 1 (k or ecto)" When you make enough sales, these k and ecto add up. If there is real competition, even better!

6) For high-end gold items, always give a buy out price. Make the price reasonable please.

7) Give all the mods when advertising. When you state the mods, you will get "i want it" answers instead of the 1000 "Can I please see the mods" answers. This will considerably cut down on the scrolling of the text box.

8 ) Never say "Want to sell X number of gold items" State each item out in different messages with correct grammar, spelling and capitalization. If you dont, you will not seem like a proffesional seller and the only people that will reply will be people that have 1 or 2k to spare.

9) Beware the scammers. Sitting and spamming in a channel will make you extremely drowsy =P. Make sure the buyer is giving what he offers.

10) Spam in the trade channel. Face it. People who are really willing to cough up the cash are looking in the trade channel

11) Once again, use trading websites to expose ur items to the maximum amount of people.

12) Finally, have tons of patience. Selling is a hard thing to do and selling at high prices is an even harder thing to do. Losing some money is inevitable, but have the will to get it back. You may not always make the 500k profit everyday but it comes along every so often.

So happy hunting! I sincerely think this will help many people make money that are bored of farming the same spots over and over again. At least you get to talk to people. Hope this little guide is worth a premium! Of course if you have stuff to add please tell me, but these are the tips I keep in mind when i am buying/selling. Thanks!

kallick
June 13th, 2006, 12:54 am 

A very well written guide. I don't feel this is worthy of premium as it is very general and mainly commonsense but your writing skills show through :)

I usually can't be assed sitting around trying to sell stuff. It doesn't seem like a game to me (remember it is a game) and would rather be out killing things.

BUt I know some people like doing this sort of thing but if they do they will undoubtedly know how to do it well. It is a good way to make money but it's too boring for me. I have so many greens that I can't be bothered to try to sell. I end up giving them away to people who I do missions with and enjoy their company.

/nay

farts_mcgee
June 13th, 2006, 8:23 am 
Active User > 50 Posts
Active User > 50 Posts

Cash on hand:

A well written guide yeah...but it is such common knowledge, everyone does this and there is not much to it. Yes, its a good way to make money, everyone buys low sells high, myself included. This is not anyting new, people have been doing it since this game came out. Its called business.

I like how you are able to write a good guide, but you need to find something better to write about. Business is simply common knowledge, and a simple guide explaining the basics of how to do it, is not worth $25.

So go out there and find something good to write a guide on and I wish you the best luck on your next submission.

Nay

syris_online
June 13th, 2006, 4:10 pm 

Nay, business guides are for magazines for REAL LIFE.

lilfisher
June 13th, 2006, 4:12 pm 

Cash on hand:

3 nays.

[ 5 posts ]