top right

TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

Help with Multiple Accounts : GW Guide Discussion

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
sreavesjr
April 8th, 2008, 3:34 pm 

Cash on hand: Locked
I'm asking because I cannot find the answer to my question in the forums...so bare with me if it is here somewhere already.... and if it's possible.

I have a one year old account and have just purchased another set of GW games to set up an second account. How do I install and run both accounts at the same time, on the same computer, so I can have contact between all my characters, use all the storage and run missions with my multiple account characters and heroes?

Tault_admin
April 8th, 2008, 8:23 pm 
administrator
administrator
Mod in Training

Cash on hand:

Yea there are some complicated methods out there but nothing big. Ill put out a word and see if i can get one of our staff members to find anything.

sreavesjr
April 9th, 2008, 9:09 am 

OK..I found the answer to my question on another site. So, for those that are interested I will cut and paste here for future use. I've used and it works great. I take no credit for this material.

Tutorial: Running 2 Copies of Guild Wars

Originally Published by Inde

By: Ghozer
Last Updated: Feburary 9th 2006
Tutorial Version: 1.7
Level: Advanced

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: This should not be attempted by anyone who is inexperienced, or un-sure..
Tools:

regedit.exe (an inbuilt windows program for editing the registry)
a Hex Editor (I use XVI32 Version 2.31 - can be found via Google)
Guild Wars (© NCSoft and ArenaNet)

Instructions:

1) Make a second copy of Guild Wars (do NOT install again, just copy the Gw.exe from one folder, to another)

2) Rename your NEW copy of guild wars, so that the exe is named Gw2.exe

NOTE: You do NOT need to edit or touch your first copies exe at-all

3) Open up the HEX editor of your choice, and open Gw2.exe..

4) You need to use the "Find and Replace" option in the hex editor.. (in XVI32 its "Search > Replace")
-- Set it to 'Find' "Text String" and 'Replace with' "Text String" (all these settings are based on XVI32)
-- In the top box (Find), type "Guild Wars" (Without the Quotes)
-- In the bottom box (Replace with) type "Gu1ld W4rs" (Without the Quotes) (Or anything with the length of 10 characters INCLUDING spaces)
-- Now hit the "Replace All" button on the right..

NOTE: It should find and replace around 115 occurrences (Could differ depending on Version, and if its just been updated etc.. I'm unsure..)

NOTE: You will have to copy Gw.exe to Gw2.exe and edit Gw2.exe after EVERY update, because it replaces the exe when you update..

5) Once you have replaced them, go to File > Save -- this will save it as Gw2.exe in the new folder..

NOTE: If it still has the normal GW icon, then you have edited it properly, If its a White BOX icon (Unknown) then you have edited it wrongly..
-- Delete Gw2.exe - Copy it over, and repeat the steps...

6) Now you need to make 2 '.reg' files. The easiest way of making these is..
-- go to "Start > Run", and type "regedit"
-- When that opens up, Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREArenaNet" and Right click on the ArenaNet folder (on the left), and click Export..
-- now choose a name and location to save the .reg file..

7) now, make a second copy of the .reg file we just made (You could repeat the above step to make the second copy)
-- Once you have 2 copies, name them something simple and easy like gw1.reg (for copy1) and gw2.reg (for copy2)
-- Now, Put the file for Copy 1, in your ORIGINAL Guild Wars Folder, and leave this alone...
-- Now put the file for Copy 2, in your NEW Guild Wars Folder.. This is the one we edit..

8) Right click the .reg file for copy 2, and click edit...
-- Now, find the line that starts with "PATH"=" (Should look SIMILAR to this.. "Path"="C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe")
-- Edit this line, to reflect the location of the SECOND copy of Guild Wars... (Example: "Path"="C:\Program Files\Guild Wars2\Gw2.exe")
-- Now save it. (File > Save)

NOTE: the Double slash ( \ ) is important, do NOT Forget to use double...

9) Open up your 2 Guild wars folders. and Double click gw1.reg - it will ask if you are sure.. click YES, now load Gw.exe (your FIRST/ORIGINAL Copy)
-- Now, go to your SECOND Guild Wars Location, and Double click gw2.reg -- Again, it will ask if you are sure.. click YES, now load Gw2.exe (your NEW/Edited Copy)

If you have done all the above steps properly, then you should now have 2 clients running...

LOADER: There is now a Loader, so you dont have to use the .reg files each time.. www.clanscf.com/downloads/GW_Loader.zip - Just place it anywhere, Point it to Gw.exe and Gw2.exe - and click Run, it will start them both up, editing the registry for you.. It saves the path locations in C:gw.ini no matter where you place the loader..

NOTE: Whilst running 2 copies on the same PC, there may (some times) be some misplaced textures on some characters or landscape, this is (i am guessing) due to a sharing violation on the gw.dat file, or it may just be a GFX driver issue, I am not 100% sure, either way, I thought I'd mention it..

NOTE: You need to run gw1.reg before you run your first copy of Guild Wars, and gw2.reg before your second copy.. If you ever try to run your first copy of Guild wars, and it asks you if you want to install to location etc... Just Close it, and run gw1.reg, and re-open it..
The same for your Second Copy..

hardsell
April 9th, 2008, 1:40 pm 
premium
premium

Cash on hand:

Umm this has been here for two years

http://www.taultunleashed.com/phpbb2/ab ... nixxx.html

works fantastic still does the work for you

sreavesjr
April 9th, 2008, 3:58 pm 

Yep..that's it and I'm a spazzzz...... Honest, I looked for two hours and couldn't find it.... I need to shut up or I will really look stupid.... :shock:

mrredhatter
May 28th, 2009, 9:24 am 

Cash on hand:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/showthread.php?t=478751

slonse
June 9th, 2009, 6:11 am 

Cash on hand:

Why all the hustle if it can be this simple

http://www.guildwarsmagic.com/

droosen73
July 17th, 2009, 12:53 am 

Cash on hand: