taultunleashed logosoloing/beta forum observations : Guild Wars 2 Discussions guild wars 2 logotu winter contest 2012 nintendo wii
newtopic  postreply
 [ 1 post ] 
blue large dot

soloing/beta forum observations : Guild Wars 2 Discussions

Posted: August 14th, 2012, 1:35 pm

hardsell

Total Posts: 703
hardsell's Reps: 1487
premium
(originally posted elsewhere, but decided to share here)

beta forum post observations:
reference: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequen ... te_note-22

Other than ranger pets or minions, there will be no henchmen, heroes, or what was to be their replacement: companions

The Dynamic level adjustment means no power leveling
From: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic ... adjustment

(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
Dynamic level adjustment reduces a character's attributes when the character's level exceeds the area they are in. For example, a character with an actual level of 50 in a level 10 area will have their attributes reduced to an effective level equal to a level 10 character. Effective level is shown as a green number in parentheses next to the actual level on the experience bar and is stated under the actual level on the hero panel. Changes to attributes are also seen on the hero panel in green next to the actual attribute values.

No healers, every profession has one heal

(!empty($user->lang['QUOTE'])) ? $user->lang['QUOTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'QUOTE'))):
there will not be a dedicated healing profession in Guild Wars 2. Instead, each class has one skill slot reserved for a self-heal. There are also support skills that will heal allies, although these will be weaker than self-heal skills. Additionally, there are no skills which directly target allies; any skills which affect the user's allies will do so because the allies are in the area of the caster, in the area of a ground-targeted ability, or in the area of an enemy who is struck by a skill with a secondary effect. The intention is to give support classes an outlet for their protective nature while also requiring them to be fully aware of the battlefield, instead of just watching their allies' health bars.

GW2 has 80 levels ...

(Q from the faq)
Will there be a hard "grind" to reach the level cap?
No. The time needed to level up should always be about the same and never exceed 90 minutes.

so ... 80 x 90 = 7200 minutes ÷ 60 = 120 hours ÷ 24 = 5 days max....

Is there going to be any player housing?

No, at least not in the initial release. However, each character will have access to a home instance in their race's capital

The home instance is an instanced area in each character's home city which evolves as they progress through the world.

A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal storyline. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.

No pre searing like area :(

(Q from the faq)

Will I be able to solo?

Sure. You can complete the personal storyline, craft, and participate in events without anyone else around, if you choose.
However, there are some types of content, such as dungeons, which require a team. For example, the Ascalonian Catacombs recommends at least 5 players to finish or else the dungeon will be significantly harder.

some forum responses gave me a better idea of soloing the game:

from: Playing Solo http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/42590-playing-solo/

Crunchygremlin says

what are the cons of soloing??

err i guess if you truly want to solo you are limited to the personal story and that is it.

otherwise you have to play with other people because you can not stop them from playing with you.

However i always have the freedom to go do whatever whenever with whoever.
So i can play basically a solo game and treat all the other players as "intelligent" NPC's that i will have to interact with through the game system

Alaroxr says:

What do you mean by soloing?

1.) Actively avoiding contact with other players

2.) Simply making no attempt to actively interact with other players

If it is the prior, then your Guild Wars 2 experience will be stressful and most likely unpleasant. If it is the latter, then you'll be absolutely fine. You don't have to group with other players or join guilds, but it's an MMO so you can't reasonably expect to experience the best of what the game has to offer and avoid other players.

fatasura says

Assuming you mean that you will not be playing with friends, or with a guild.
You will still 100% enjoy this game. Not once during the beta's have I joined up with friends or a guild. I didn't open up vent or teamspeak, I simply sat down, logged in, and played.

Now, there were people I met that I ran around with for a couple hours, and there were a couple of times i asked nearby players to help me kill a mob that seemed to be hiding some goodies.

Playing without a group or guild will not limit your enjoyment in this game at all. There are always people around so you will still experience the big scaled events and bosses, and, at least in the games early life, there will always be people nearby willing to help you with challenging content.

from: Is this game solo player friendly? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-/62754488

MBO-Sephy says:

You don't have to group up with people in the "joining a party" sense. Even with loads of other people doing a quest, you can "stay solo" and still get full rewards of exp, drops and whatnot from monsters you kill.

DEs and Tasks are cumulative in progress, and you get your reward based on your contribution to its completion. For example, if a DE has you kill a boss and, say, you dealt about 30% of its health in damage, healed and revived your allies frequently and applied Conditions(debuffs) to the boss, it all counts as contribution. And the better you do, the more gold, experience and Karma(a type of ingame currency) you get. The game doesn't "care" if you're in a party or not.

Want Advertisements After The Last Post Removed? Create A Free Account!

blue large dot Who is online