TU Chat | View unanswered posts | View active topics  

Legendary Defender of Ascalon (lv20 In Pre) : GW Guide Discussion

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
prepwnage
December 7th, 2006, 5:38 pm 

Cash on hand: Locked
---------LV20 IN PRE-SEARING---------

The title "Legendary Defender of Ascalon" is being sought after by many today. I myself have been drawn in (yet again) to the pre-searing world with high hopes. Some of you may think that this is not possible due to a nerf of the ever popular (and seemingly only way to level past 16) death leveling. THEY UN-NERFED IT!! When they un-nerfed death leveling, Arenanet took out vamp weapons that would aid in the death leveling, but having the death leveling available again is a plus all by itself.

Here are the steps to becoming the famed lv20 Pre-Searing character.

THE BEGINNING

First and foremost, you need to make a character. For the title, you can use any profession. Some are better than others when it comes to reaching lv20 because you must first fight the charr, which is easier for some professions than others.

I would suggest one of the following professions:

- Monk
- Elementalist
- Necro

The Mesmer works well, but soloing tends to be more difficult due to the aggro that is attracted while you cast your hexes, and without strong healing spells (even if you are Me/Mo, no healing breeze will be available to you), the Mesmer will take a tremendous amount of damage.

These professions can reach lv20 and have before, but soloing abilities are less than the above mentioned.

- Warrior
- Mesmer
- Ranger

****IMPORTANT****

DO NOT DO ANY QUESTS UNTIL REACHING LV10 OR LV11, THESE QUESTS ARE TO BE SAVED FOR LATER LEVELS (LV16 OR LV19) AND WILL SPEED UP THE LEVELING AT HIGHER LEVELS. WHEN YOU REACH LV10 OR LV11 YOU CAN DO THE SECONDARY PROFESSION QUESTS AND TAKE ON A SECOND PROFESSION FOR SOLOING PURPOSES. DO NOT DO ANY OTHER QUESTS. (this excludes very first 2 quests where you talk to sir tydus and unlock your first skill trainer)

****IMPORTANT****

ACQUIRING SKILLS

Now, for your first goal you need to get your skills. Head to your trainer and finish the quest. (usually involving killing some River Skale Tads or running them off, in this case. Killing the Tads and retreiving the lost girl Gwen.) Now head to your next skill trainers. Here are the locations in the order that you can obtain skills from them:

Monk Trainers: Ashford Abbey // Green Hills County
Necro Trainers: Catacombs // Green Hills County
Elementalist Trainers: Foible's Fair // Wizard's Folly
Warrior Trainers: Green Hills County // The Barradin Estate
Mesmer Trainers: Lakeside Country // Foible's Fair
Ranger Trainers: Regent Valley

Now, you take the quests that allow you the use of your skills, but do not complete the quests. You must access your quest log and abandon these quests. This will not erase your skills. You are allowed to keep your skills and you can access the next trainer of which you do the same thing.

FARMING XP AND GOLD/DYE, ETC

Once you have obtained all of your professoins skills, you can head to the catacombs. Different areas are preferred for different professions. Please choose the corresponding area to level your character the quickest way you can.

Monk: Catacombs [Skeletal Corpses, Raging Cadavers]
{Smite and you'll be fine}

Necro: Catacombs // Regent Valley [Skeletal Corpses, Raging Cadavers, River Skales, River Skale Broadcallers]

Elementalist: Regent Valley // Wizards Folly [River Skales, River Skale Broadcallers, Ice Elementals]
{Fire Storm the Cave full of Ice Eles}

Warrior: Regent Valley // Catacombs [River Skales, River Skale Broadcallers, Skeletal Corpses, Raging Cadavers]
{Cyclone Axe for Catacombs}

Mesmer: Catacombs [Skeletal Corpses, Raging Cadavers]
{Conjure Phantasm is your friend :P}

Ranger: Anywhere [Anything] {This profession isnt meant for quick Pre farming. You can take these enemies down with any skill you wish. Find some means to keep yourself alive.}

Now, farm the areas designated above.

***NOTE***

THOSE AREAS ARE SUGGESTED FARMING AREAS ONLY AND ARE NOT MANDATORY TO REACH LV20, YOU CAN FIND OTHER SPOTS IF YOU WISH. I WAS JUST RECOMMENDING PROVEN XP FARMING SPOTS.

***NOTE***

FARMING REGENT VALLEY

The best method for farming regent valley is this: Aggro all of the river skales and run back to the academy monk and allow her to heal you which whill make you very very hard to kill and you can kill all of the enemies in the area. This guide explains very well how to do this:

http://www.taultunleashed.com/phpBB2/ab ... ploit.html

Ive been farming that way for ages and it seems to be a very good money maker for all professions. (Especially my Mo/W14 with symbol of wrath :P)

FARMING THE CATACOMBS

This is best done with AoE, aka the War with Cyclone Axe and the Monk with Symbol of Wrath. The Ele works here as well. This is the easiest farming spot that even yields a lv5 boss. Just kill the enemies 1 by 1 or aggro them and use AoE skills to shut them down. Very easy to do, let me know if you have problems.

CHOOSING A SECONDARY

Recommended Secondaries for each profession:

Mesmer/Monk
Mesmer/Warrior

Necro/Monk
Necro/Ranger

Monk/Warrior

Warrior/Monk
Warror/Necro
Warrior/Mesmer
Warrior/Ranger

Elementalist/Monk
Elementalist/Ranger

Ranger/Monk
Ranger/Necro

***NOTE***

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACQUIRE A SECONDARY. MONKS SHOULD TAKE ON WARRIOR FOR SOLOING PURPOSES. OTHER PROFESSIONS CAN TAKE ON A SECONDARY IF THEY WISH, IT IS UP TO THE USER.

***NOTE***

CHARR TIME

Now, its time for charr. Charr are located in the Northlands and can only be accessed if you have someone open the gate or travel with you to the Northlands to kill charr. This is where you'll live for a long time so learn to like it! :P For any profession you will need a partner up until around lv11. At lv11 you can start soloing the Charr. These professions will most likey not be able to efficiently solo Charr until a higher level:

- Ranger
- Mesmer
- Warrior
- Elementalist (depends on skill level)

When partying with another person for Charr you must make sure that their profession compliments yours and will help the team defeat the Charr in a quick and easy way. Having a Monk in your party is definitely advised.

SOLOING CHARR

This is where my knowledge of other professions other than Monk is limited. I currently have a Mo/W14 that has been soloing since lv11. I will post the build and equipment I use.

Skill Barr:

Healing Breeze
Orison of Healing
Reversal of Fortune
Shielding Hands
Banish
Bane Signet
Sever Artery
Gash

Equipment:

Rinblade (10-15 damage +5 armor vs charr {customized}
[can be bought at ascalon for 5 iron ingots and 100gp]

Reinforced Buckler (Health +33 While Enchanted, req2 Tactics 9 Armor)

Collector Armor (black chest and legs, white hands and feet {dyed})

THE METHOD

Soloing is tricky at first. Have someone open the gate and map back to Ascalon City for you. You may have to pay 50-100gp for this, but usually it is done for free. Each Charr has a different method to it, but pulling is all the same.

Method for Pulling: Cast Healing Breeze, Reversal of Fortune, Healing Hands (IN THAT ORDER). Chaots will shater the last 2 enchants casted and will almost always leave breeze up, but if you dont cast all 3 enchantments... Healing Breeze will be shattered, which can get bad on tough pulls. Pulling is self explanatory. The Spell Casters will ALWAYS be the ones you kill first, the melee (Fiends, Swords, Hunters) break aggro sooner than the spell casters. The Shaman is always the first one you will have to kill, which is convenient.

SKILLS USED BY CHARR

Charr Axe Fiend: Cyclone Axe, Frenzy
Charr Blade Storm: Frenzy (forgot others :P)
Charr Shaman: Heal Area, Bane Signet, Banish
Charr Chaot: Shatter Enchantment, Energy Burn
Charr Ashen Claw: Faintheartedness, Life Siphon, Mark of Pain
Charr Hunter: Ignite Arrows, Penetrating Shot

I believe thats all (Im writing this entire guide from memory, i kid you not) If i find any mistakes I'll fix later on.

This is the order that the Charr will be killed by you, because the Charr arent that smart and run right to you in this order.

Charr Shaman
Charr Chaot or Ashen Claw
Axe Fiend and Blade Storm (usually followed by a Hunter)

(You'll understand when you start soloing :P)

THE METHOD OF KILLING CHARR

Again, I regret that I cant offer methods of other professions. Im sorry for the inconvenience.

Cast Healing Breeze
Cast Shielding Hands whenever possible
Use Bane Signet when Melee attackers use Frenzy
Use Banish and Signet for extra damage
Use Sever Artery whenever possible
Keep Healing Breeze and Enchants up at all times
Use Gash
Use Banish / Signet while 20% health penalty from gash i still in effect

Now, that is my method... you may change it, mod it, copy it, do whatever you like. Its your character, not mine :D

LEVELING UP

Leveling up in pre is a wonderfull feeling. Especially at higher levels. Just keep soloing those charr, dont give up. This is what you want, to get to lv20. Its hard to keep doing, I know. I get frustrated too, the leveling slows down each level. Have patience and eventually (im not even there yet) You will reach that lv16 point where you can only death level.

DEATH LEVELING

This is how you will reach lv17, 18, 19, and 20!!! To do this, go to Ashford Abbey. Head out and head to the rez shrine nearest Devona and company. There should be a strider nearby, if not, rezone and try again. Now, when you have found a strider that is near the srhine, attack it. Run to the middle of the Rez Shrine and take all of your amor and shields off so that it does maximum damage. Let the strider attack you until you die, make sure the strider does not run off after it kills you... if it does.. then rezone, and find another strider. If the strider stays in the aggro circle and runs back to kill you after each death, you have it. Just leave your PC idle with the moa killing you overnight, at work, at school.. whatever and kill the strider when it reaches lv20 for some xp. The xp adds up over time so dont expect lv20 in a day or two. It take a very very very long time and dedication.

***QUEST ALERT***

AT ANY TIME BETWEEN THE LEVELS OF 16-19 YOU CAN COMPLETE ALL OF THE PRE-SEARING QUESTS. LV19 IS THE SUGGESETED QUEST COMPLETION TIME SIMPLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT XP IS AT ITS LOWEST AT LV19

***QUEST ALERT***

***NOTE***

DEATH LEVELING IS BEST FOR DSL, CABLE, BROADBAND CONNECTIONS. DIALUP MAY NOT HOLD LONG ENOUGH TO ALLOW THE STRIDER TO LEVEL UP TO THE MAXIMUM LEVEL.

***NOTE***

LEGENDARY DEFENDER OF ASCALON

Once you hit lv20.. if you hit lv20. You will achieve the famous title that youve been seeking. SHOW IT OFF!! Ive only ever met one before, but there are quite a bit lv12+ in pre at this very moment trying to get this title. I hope someday to see some of you in Pre sporting this awesome title. Cheers, and the best of luck.

Well Done Guys, and Thanks for Reading this Complete Guide to Level 20 in Pre-Searing... written on the spot from Memory.

~prepwnage~~
(this was my first post on Tault :P)

CREDITS & ENDING NOTES

If you have any questions or need help with something in-game, Whisper one of the following:

Aaliyah Grey (mo/w14 ~ pre character)
Vaenn Grey (n/mo20)
Baelian Grey (r/a / r/mo20)
Isaac Grey (rt/mo18 no deaths yet :P)
Sir Aran Derlyn (w/mo20)

------------or---------------

Xx Hugh The Hand Xx (w/mo11 ~ pre character)
Kubla Kaun (e/mo20)

Please let me know of any inconsitences or errors that may be found, thx.
Im doing my best to make ithis guide the best it can be.

Last edited by Guest on December 10th, 2006, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

migold
December 7th, 2006, 6:12 pm 

Have to say that is truely fasinating :mrgreen:

kallick
December 8th, 2006, 12:22 am 

Big thing missing from farming charr is that you can only get level 16/17 max. To reach legendary status you have to be very patient and level up something like a moa bird, by letting it kill you over and over (you can go to work/school whilst it happens it takes about 4/5 hours). The bird will gain XP and level to a 20. then kill it. Rinse and repeat (to get from 17-19 will take sodding ages). you need one hell of a lot of patience.

Oh in case your wondering, yes , Anet have put the enemies levelling up back in again after removing it a while back.

prepwnage
December 8th, 2006, 1:44 pm 

Kallick, just to clear some things up... everything you just said was covered in the guide.

"ig thing missing from farming charr is that you can only get level 16/17 max. To reach legendary status you have to be very patient and level up something like a moa bird, by letting it kill you over and over (you can go to work/school whilst it happens it takes about 4/5 hours). The bird will gain XP and level to a 20. then kill it. Rinse and repeat (to get from 17-19 will take sodding ages). you need one hell of a lot of patience.

Oh in case your wondering, yes , Anet have put the enemies levelling up back in again after removing it a while back."

In the guide it says "you will only reach lv17,18,19,20 by charr"... this means that you can only reach lv16 on charr. Therefore, it is NOT missing. I also said that death leveling was a MOA (aka a strider) that kills you over and over. I ALSO Said that it would take a lot of patience and a lot of time. And I ALSO SAID that ANET UN-NERFED The Death Leveling.

I appreciate your additions, but plz read the guide before actually posting anything about it that has already been stated in the guide.

~prepwnage~

Last edited by Guest on December 10th, 2006, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kallick
December 9th, 2006, 1:41 am 

doh! My bad. Sorry dude. I thought I was helpfully adding to your guide to help others.

You can tell i got bored about half way through. :) and noticed that it wasn't mentioned at the end.

Skip reading FTL!

portlimo
December 10th, 2006, 5:29 am 

umm

how do you use an elite skill in pre? Healing Hands?

list of all pre skills

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/content/pr ... id1264.php

Granted you could have it on your character from the now fixed observer glitch but no one can get it now

ok guide covers things a tiny bit differently than wiki or the original at guru

edit->

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... t=10072373

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... t=10070635

Guide to protector of ascalon

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... erid=92302

port

Last edited by Guest on December 13th, 2006, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

prepwnage
December 10th, 2006, 12:38 pm 

Yay, you found an inconsitency! As I said, I knew there were problems with the guide. Thanks for the find.

Correction: should be "shielding" hands.

cidblackwood
December 20th, 2006, 11:52 am 

Since you primarily did Monk, I'm going to add how I'd do it for mesmer:

The First thing you should do is do you "Message from a friend" quest as well as the one you get from Sebedoh. Then accept the quests from Althea and Vassar, DO NOT DO THEM. You will get the skills from those quests without doing them. Then go off and kill River Scale (all they way from near Gwen to Ashford, killing the river drake is fairly easy with a mesmer) and Devourers (From the cave near Ascalon City) until level 8. At level eight start clearing out the Catacombs (Start from the Green Hills County entrance). You should reach I believe a level 10. At this point go to Ascalon City and pary with a level 8+ Monk or a level 12+ Necromancer. Once you get to level 16, do what prepwnage said to do with the Moa Bird (Strider). Once you a level 19, you can do EVERY quest, incuding all the secondary profession trials. This whole process will probably take around a week if you play as much as I do (12 am - 10 pm on average). And their you have it, a level 20 mesmer in pre-searing. The big kahuna of pre-searing. I'd recommed going back to the catacombs (from the Ashford Abbey entrance this time) and farm until your backpack and belt pouch are full with black dyes =D. In my opinion for seconandary profession either do Monk or Necromancer. If you need to contact me my characters are:

Sir Tai Shang
Cid Blackwood
Erimentha Blackwood
Vevina Blackwood (My mesmer)

WARNING: I have NOT completed this yet, I am very far from it.

pelius
December 25th, 2006, 1:24 am 

There is a huge issue I am trying to figure out with this title. Can you get Survivor with it? As of right now there is only one theretical way to do that. Once you reach lvl 16 you trap your pet in such a way that only one creature attacks it and you keep rezing it.

Rez shrines and spells wont work becuase shrines only work if all human players are dead and there are no hard rezes.

So can you do it with a pet? Personally I haven't found a concrete answer. Some people claim they can trap their pet in certian spot but I cannot get consistant results. I also messaged ANET about this and they just said that everything is meant to be there as it is. So....is this idea even possible or am I doomed to forego one title.

prepwnage
December 26th, 2006, 2:04 pm 

Im not sure whether or not it is possible, but It sounds like it would be and that it would take a considerable amount of hours at your pc rezzing your pet. This method would take far more dedication than the normal way.

portlimo
December 26th, 2006, 9:20 pm 

from: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... t=10072373

thread now at 33 pages of info and comments on the title, the charr nerf of 12/21 etc

snippet->

Q: Don't suppose there's a way to do this without sacrificing the survivor title?

A: there is, but are you willing to add on another 100+hours w/o being afk?

here is what you do:
instead of letting the moa death lvl off of you ''test'' the secondary ranger for skills to get charm animal, go charm an animal and make sure it is also lvl 16 when you try this. Instead of haveing the moa kill you get it to kill your animal, you cannot afk for this as you have to keep ressing the pet yourself.

<- snip

port

portlimo
January 2nd, 2007, 10:51 pm 

Maxiemonster put up a new guide to pre, not for the title, though it has some info, but pre in general

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... t=10095025

he had a great tip from the GW in-game store you buy the prophecies GOTY upgrade a $4.99 charge and get some max damage items 7 items total make sure you have room....n pre or for heros too

you key /bonus to get your items

info here:

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Guild_Wars ... ar_edition

port

andersnelson
February 12th, 2007, 7:24 pm 

Is it possible to death level with charr? :idea:

portlimo
February 13th, 2007, 9:29 am 

Yes there is a new(ish) guide at guru under community works:

death leveling charr

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... t=10106740

for a way to rack up 13 or so charr at the rez shrine.

it takes 30 to 50 min to get all the charr there (according to guide) but supposedly cuts the time down to get title....

port

andersnelson
February 13th, 2007, 4:16 pm 

Thats what i thought. Because i could swear i have done it once.

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next